Preserving the history, heritage, and legacy of the Philippine Scouts for present and future generations

In Memoriam

This page is dedicated to remembering Philippine Scouts who have passed away. We welcome short remembrance paragraphs on recently-deceased Scouts.

» View Recent In Memoriam


MSG Monico Almachar

Retired 57th Infantry (PS) MSG Monico Almachar passed away of natural causes July 6, 2005 in Manteca, CA. Born on May 2, 1910 in Vigan, Ilocos Sur, Luzon, Philippine Islands he is survived by five children and two grandchildren. His wife predeceased him by ten years.

Monico Almachar, a seminary student in the Philippines, enlisted in the US Army in 1933 as a Philippine Scout. He escaped from the Bataan Death March and returned home in Northern Luzon, where he was recaptured. He escaped once more and joined Volkmann's Guerillas and continued to fight the Japanese until liberation in 1945.

Monico received the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal with Bronze Service Star, the WWII Victory Medal, the American Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star, Distinguished Unit Badge with two Oak Leaf Clusters, The Philippine Liberation Ribbon with Bronze Star, the Bronze Star for Valor, and the Prisoner of War Medal.

He retired with 30 years in the military in 1963 and started a second career as a Security Officer at Sharpe Army Depot, in Lathrop, CA for 17 more years. He was a member of the American Legion, the American Defenders of Bataan & Corregidor, The Philippine Scouts Heritage Society, and the American Ex-Prisoners of War.


Col. William E. Chandler

Col. William E. Chandler, one of the last Regular officers to have fought mounted in war, died in San Antonio, Texas, Oct. 7, 2005. He was 97. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery on Dec. 15, 2005, carried to his gravesite on a gun carriage drawn by six horses, a riderless horse with boots reversed in the stirrups, following the coffin. It was a fitting end for a man who had been born into the 11th Cavalry at Fort Ethan Allen Vermont in 1908, the son of a cavalry officer and the grandson of Senator William E. Chandler who had largely been responsible for transforming the U.S. Navy from sail to steam in the post-Civil War period. As a boy young Bill accompanied his parents to Fort Stotsenburg, then the largest post in the pre-World War army. After graduating from West Point in 1931, Bill served with the 6th and 14th Cavalry regiments, and spent two years at The Cavalry School at Fort Riley. In 1939 he took command of Troop A, 26th Cavalry (PS) at Fort Stotsenburg. As war approached, he was promoted to captain and assigned as regimental operations and intelligence officer, in which he played a vital role in the successful action of the 26th holding the powerful left wing of the Japanese Army as it tried and failed to cut off the main body of our troops withdrawing into Bataan. Bill was seriously wounded the day before Bataan fell. The bullet still lay next to his heart when he died 63 years later. Bill spent most of his POW years as a prisoner at Cabanatuan, and was part of a shipment of 1700 loaded on the hell ship Oryoko Maru in December 1944. This ship was sunk off Subic Bay; the survivors were loaded on a second ship later sunk in Formosa. A third ship with about 300 of the original 1700 finally made it to Japan. Bill retired in 1961.


Feliciano Figuracion

SFC Feliciano A. (Tony) Figuracion, former member of the 45th Infantry (PS) and long-time supporter of our Capt. Jose Calugas, Sr. chapter, passed away at home in Tacoma in on March 14, 2005. Tony was born May 2, 1919 in Alcala, Pangasinan, Philippines. During WWII, he survived combat, the Bataan Death March, a Japanese POW camp and the Korean War. He retired from the U.S. Army in 1961. From his retirement until 1994, Tony and his family cared for developmentally disabled foster children. He also served as Maintenance Director at a series of nursing homes in Tacoma.

Tony is survived by his wife of 45 years, Althea; seven sons, Karangalan "Alan", Magtanggol "Tango", Ralph, Bumpaous, Grant, David, and Dale; daughters Liuanag "Lily" Gallardo, Ada Eliott, as well as 13 grandchildren, 10 great grandchildren and numerous foster children.


Bernard Sayson

Bernard Sayson, GGBAC Lifetime member and First Vice-President, passed away on September 27, 2005, four days after his seventieth birthday. Bernard served in the U.S. Army with the 101st Airborne Division from 1961-1970. He was stationed in Germany and Vietnam, receiving a Silver Star and Purple Heart, along with numerous other medals. After his discharge, he worked in security with the USG for fifteen years, then with Lockheed for another twelve years.

Bernard is survived by his wife Violeta, a retired school teacher living in San Jose and his son Darron. Bernard's late father Ebert Sayson was a Philippine Scout who fought on Bataan and then with the guerrillas after the USAFFE surrender.


Quinten Perez

It has been belated brought to our attention that Quinten Perez of the Pershing Chapter, passed away on October 2, 2002 in Killeen, Texas. Quinten enlisted in the Philippine Scouts in 1931 and was assigned to Headquarters and the band of the 24th Field Artillery (PS). He survived combat and POW camp, and then was discharged in 1946. He was predeceased by his wife Eufracia.


Arthur Agpalasin

Former Philippine Scout Arthur Agpalasin passed away. Arthur fought on Bataan, took part in the infamous Death March, survived POW camp at O'Donnell and retired from the U.S. Army after thirty years of loyal service. A First Sergeant, he also was a past president of the Monterrey Chapter of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society and an active member for many years. He is survived by his wife Shirley.


Lewis E. Gleeck, Jr.

Lewis E. Gleeck, Jr., retired Foreign Service Officer, passed away on at his home in Bowie, Maryland on July 1, 2005 at the age of 92.

From 1940 to 1969, Lew was a member of the Foreign Service of the United States, serving in seven countries and Washington before arriving in the Philippines, where he retired after six years (1962-1969) as consul general. He would remain in the Philippines until 1999, joining the USAID to work on land reform and cooperatives, then as a consultant on base-community relations to the U.S. Navy at Subic Bay.

Lew served as editor of the Bulletin of the American Historical Collection and the curator of its library now located at the Ateneo de Manila University from April, 1976 through December, 1998. During his long and varied career, he published at least fourteen books and scores of articles on the American experience in the Philippines.

Although not a PSHS member, he certainly was a good friend of the Philippine Scouts. During more than 22 years as editor of the BULLETIN, he published numerous articles on WWII in the Philippines, including several on the Philippine Scouts, some of which were written by PSHS members.

He is survived by his Filipino wife of 31 years, Norma C. Gleeck, and sons Alfred Lewis Gleeck and Edward Gleeck and daughter Eva Gleeck.


Juan M. Fontanilla

Juan M. Fontanilla, a former Philippine Scout and a lifetime member of the Golden Gate-Bay Area Chapter of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society, passed away on May 13, 2005. He was 94. Juan joined the Scouts in 1941 and survived the Bataan Death March and incarceration as a POW. He continued in military service, serving in the Korean war and eventually retiring. He is survived by Teodula, his wife of 67 years, five of six children, 10 grandchildren, and three great grandchildren.


Ireneo Basas Encina

Ireneo Basas Encina, who served in the Philippine Scouts, passed away on April 14, 2005 after a brief illness. He and his wife lived in Panorama City, California. Born in Tanauan, Leyte, Philippines on August 25, 1927 to Enreque Encina and Graciana Basas, he enlisted in the U.S. Army as a Philippine Scout on July 31, 1946. Initially trained as an auto mechanic, Ernie served as a military policeman stationed in the Philippines and Guam. He was honorably discharged as a PFC on April 29, 1949 from the 8149th Service Unit. Ernie was a member of the Lt. Alexander R. Nininger Chapter of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society.


Gilbert M. Hair

(March 16, 1941 to September 15, 2004)
Gil Hair, a long-time member of the Golden Gate-Bay Area Chapter, passed away on September 15, 2004 following a long battle with cancer. He was 63. As an infant, Gil and his mother were interned by the Japanese in April 1942 in the Santo Tomas Internment Camp in Manila. Malnutrition, lack of medical care and generally poor conditions in the camp caused Gil medical problems which were to plague him the rest of his life.

After serving in the Marine Corps he started his career in the airline industry, working for Pan American World Airways and Continental Airlines. He went on to become a stockbroker and investment banker before founding the Center for Civilian Internee Rights in 1990 where he fought for the rights of civilian prisoners of the Japanese during World War II. The Center partnered with similar groups from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Great Britain and the Netherlands to sue the Japanese government through the Japanese court system for the violation of the human rights of allied prisoners. Gil later expanded the center to include military POWs and dropped "Civilian" from the organization's title.

In 1994, Gil testified eloquently before the Tokyo District Court concerning the case and for the next ten years effectively represented his organization in dealings with similar overseas groups and in pursuing the case all the way to the Japanese Supreme Court. Unfortunately, apparently for political reasons, this effort was not supported by the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. Justice Department. Finally, the Japanese Supreme Court ruled against the plaintiffs.

He is survived by his daughter, Nicole Hair Vasbinder, his mother, Jane MacMahon Hair Jantzen, his brothers: Robert J. Janzten Jr. and Michael G. Jantzen, and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins. His father, a British citizen, had joined the U.S. Army, only to be captured and subsequently die on one of the infamous Japanese "Hell Ships".

Gil is remembered by WWII veterans and others who were mistreated by the Japanese for his persistent and courageous fight for acknowledgement of the wartime crimes committed by the Japanese and restitution for their abuse of prisoners.


Demetrio R. Mabutas

Lifetime member Demetrio R. Mabutas of Sunnyvale, California died June 14, 2004. Demetrio was a "New Scout" who enlisted in February, 1946 and was discharged in February, 1949. He served in the 8147th Service Unit (PCH) PS, APO. He is survived by Alfredo Mabutas.


Pedro Mabutas

Pedro Mabutas, also of Sunnyvale, passed away on April 9, 2004, a few weeks short of his 82nd birthday. Pedro enlisted in September 1946 as a "New Scout" in the 64th Quartermaster Service Co. and was discharged almost three years later. He is survived by his wife Paz.


Captain Manual Cabading

Captain Manual Cabading, long-time GGBA Chapter member and former Philippine Scout, passed away on November 23, 2004, just a month short of his 85th birthday. Manny enlisted in the 57th Infantry (PS), Company M in February, 1941. He saw considerable combat in the defense of Bataan and Corregidor, spent a short term as a POW before being paroled by the Japanese and joining the Philippine Constabulary (PC). While in the PC he cooperated with the Fil-Am guerrillas, and then, when General MacArthur returned, deserted to join the anti-Japanese resistance. He left the service in 1947 and moved to the U.S. When the Korean War broke out, he re-enlisted in the infantry. During the Korean War he received three Purple Hearts for wounds in battle and a Silver Star for combat gallantry. Manual made a career in the U.S. Army, retiring in 1963 and becoming a Department of Army Civilian until retiring again in 1978. He lived in San Francisco for many years and is survived by a son, Oscar Oregana and a daughter, Manuela Fontanilla, as well as a sister and a brother.


Eleuterio de Dios

Eleuterio de Dios ("Terry") of Mountain View, California and Dulag, Leyte, died in the Philippines after a long illness on October 2, 2004. He was 85. Terry enlisted in February, 1941 and served in Headquarters and Headquarters Battery of the 24th Field Artillery (PS). He fought on Bataan, then survived the Death March and prison camp. Discharged shortly after the war ended, he earned a degree in banking and finance on the GI Bill, worked for Coca Cola for several years, then finished his career at the Philippine Ministry of Labor and Employment. He also was an American Legion Post Commander for several years in Leyte and served as Chief of the Philippine National Police detachment in Dulag. Following retirement, he moved to the U.S. where he lived from 1992 to 2002. He is survived by Remedios, his wife of sixty years, three daughters, a son and seven grandchildren.


Guillermo A. Flores

Guillermo A. Flores ("Gil") passed away after a lengthy illness on September 23, 2004 at the age of 81. He enlisted in September, 1941 and served in the 92nd Coast Artillery Battery "C". Following the surrender of Fil-Am forces, he became a POW. Discharged shortly following the war, he immigrated to the U.S. where he held various positions in transportation, the food industry and health care until his retirement. He is survived by Iona, his second wife, who lives in Modesto, California and a son and daughter from his first marriage, both living in Sacramento.


Juanito Dalisay

Lifetime member of the GGBAC, Juanito Dalisay died peacefully on January 3, 2005 in Alameda, California. He was 90. Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Maria Bergantinos Dalisay, his children Lucy Dalisay Jackson, Marilyn Godfrey, John Dalisay, Cynthia Marvar, Michael Dalisay, and Jane Kirkman, as well as eight grandchildren. A native of Rosales, Pangasinan, Philippines, Juanito was proud to have served in the US Army from 1941-1965. He survived the Bataan Death March during WWII and POW camp.


Mario Mocorro

Mario Mocorro, brother of the late first President of the Tacoma Chapter, Mark Mocorro, died in November 2004. He was 74 years old. As his wife Ruth preceded him, his closest surviving family member is his sister, Anita Mocorro, from Seattle. Mario was a life member of the Chapter, which he joined to honor his brother Mark.


PSHS President Larry Pangan

PSHS President Larry Pangan

Philippine Scouts Heritage Society President Larry Pangan passed away suddenly on November 18, 2004 while visiting his eldest daughter in San Diego. Larry was one of the founders of the Society and served for many years in various capacities in the Golden Gate-Bay Area Chapter and at the national level. In 2002 he became National President and held that post until his sudden passing. His stewardship was notable for the support he gave successor generation members as they began to take over leadership positions. He also was supportive of efforts by this new leadership to standardize and make more businesslike the policies and practices of the Society.

Larry was born in Arayat, Pampanga, but moved to Manila in 1938 to attend business college. He joined the Philippine Scouts in March 1941 and was assigned to the 57th Infantry Regiment. He survived the Bataan Death March and incarceration at the infamous Camp O'Donnell. Although seriously ill with malaria, dysentery, beriberi and malnutrition, Larry was able to escape. Upon regaining his health, he joined an American-led guerrilla group in central Luzon. For his combat service in WWII he was awarded the Bronze Star and several other medals. He later would receive a second Bronze Star for his service in the Korean War. He retired from the U.S. Army in 1961 and has been very active in various veterans' organizations.

Larry's wife Lucina predeceased him in 1995. He is survived by his nine children, Angelita, Esther, Manual, Ofelia, Zeniada, Rosemary, Patrick, David and Ricky, 10 grandchildren, 3 great grandchildren, and his companion of many years, Lourdes Escala.

His sudden death is a terrible loss to his family, his many friends and to all of us who came to know him over his years of service dedicated to preserving the memory and heritage of that legendary group of fighting men, the Philippine Scouts. His family has requested that, in lieu of flowers, contributions be sent to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society, c/o Treasurer Nora Warren, 92 Russell Drive, Antioch, CA 94509.

» Read more about Larry Pangan


Clinton Samuel Jennings

Long-time PSHS member Clinton Samuel Jennings died peacefully in San Francisco on October 28, 2004. Clint was born in Long Beach, California in December 1919. He served in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) from 1937-39. In 1941 he enlisted in the U.S. Army and was shipped to the Philippines. Captured by the Japanese, he spent 31/2 years as a POW in the Philippines and Japan. He retired after 25 years in the Army on a Friday in 1965, and then worked at the Bank of America. He retired again in 1985. He is survived by his wife of 34 years Esther; daughters Andrea Mains and Margaret Cruz and several grandchildren. Besides the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society, Clint was a member of American Defenders of Bataan & Corregidor; Ex-Prisoners of War; The Great War Society; The Retired Officers Assn. and the Reserve Officers Assn. and several other civic and fraternal organizations.


Probo Pansoy

Golden Gate Bay Area Chapter Lifetime member Probo P. Pansoy, 92, passed away on October 1, 2004. He was preceded in death by Maria A. Pansoy, his wife of 54 years. He leaves behind his children Fernando, Lazaro, Robert, Condrada, Josephina, Rosario, Paul, Maria Victoria, Maria Elizabeth and Christopher; 20 grandchildren; and 18 great grandchildren. A native of the Philippines, joined the HQ Company, 2nd Battalian, 24th Field Artillery of the Philippine Scouts November 4, 1934 and survived heavy combat and prison camp during WWII. He rejoined the US Army post-war and retired after 30 years of service. Mr. Pansoy and his wife spent over 50 years in Albany, CA where they raised their family. He was a member of Bohol Circle, Santo Nino de Cebu, Damas Philippinas and the Knights of Columbus. His love of music led him to join a band in his 70s and 80s in which he sang, and played piano and guitar.


Carlos Yap

Carlos Yap passed away peacefully in the presence of Rose, his wife of 49 years, on September 21, 2004. Born in Pototan, Iloilo, Philippines May 15, 1922, Carlos enlisted in the Philippine Scouts with one of his younger brothers in 1941 and served with the 12th Quartermaster, which was attached to "B" Company 91st Coast Artilllery on Corregidor. After the surrender, he was a POW in the same camp where his younger brother died a month earlier.

After the war he continued his military service with the U.S. Army and retired in 1961. He and Rose permanently settled in Tacoma, Washington, where he worked for the Boeing Company. Carlos, was a life member of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society, Tacoma, Chapter.

Carlos is survived by his wife, Mrs. Rose Yap , 7632 South Sheridan St., Tacoma, WA. 98408, 4 children, 14 grandchildren, and 3 great-grandchildren.


Col. Morris Loeb Shoss

Col. Morris Loeb Shoss

Colonel Morris Loeb Shoss, a former Philippine Scout, was born April 10, 1915 in Houston, Texas and passed away the night of August 4, 2004 in San Antonio.

A 1940 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, his first military assignment was to the Philippine Islands, where he served as Executive Officer of Battery C, 91st Coast Artillery (PS), charged with the defense of the Manila and Subic Bay regions. After the surrender, he survived prison camp and the torpedoing of the prison ship transporting him to Japan. After the sinking, he managed to swim ashore, was rescued by Filipinos and eventually evacuated by submarine. He retired from the U.S. Army following a distinguished thirty year career. His medals and commendations, include, among others, the Legion of Merit, the Silver Star, two Purple Hearts, one with Oak Leaf Cluster, and two Bronze Stars, one with Valor.

Following his military career, Morris joined the faculty of San Antonio College as chair of the Technical Mathematics Program, where he taught for more than a decade.

Col. Shoss is survived by his son, Dr. Robert G. Shoss of Albany, NY, and daughter and son-in-law, Maurie Lynn and Paul Haas of McAllen, TX, several grandchildren and a great grandson, as well as many other friends and relatives.

In lieu of flowers, please send donations to the Jewish Chapel Fund, c/o Main Post Chapel, Ft. Sam Houston, TX 78234, Temple Beth El, 211 Belknap Pl, San Antonio, TX 78212, or Admiral Nimitz Foundation, 340 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX 78624.

The family invites you to leave a message or memory at by selecting Visitation and Services. Select 'Sign Guestbook' at the bottom of the individual Memorial.


Basilo Fontillas

Former Philippine Scout and lifetime GGBAC member Basilio Fontillas passed away peacefully at home on May 28, 2004 at the age of 92. Born in Castillejos, Zambales, Philippines on June 13, 1911. ÊHe is predeceased by his first wife, Leonora (August 1945), and his second wife, Consolation (May 2001). He is survived by his third wife, Marina; and 10 children, 27 grandchildren, and 23 great-grandchildren. Veteran of World War II, defender of Corregidor; POW, Korean War; he served honorably in the US Army for 31 years. He brought his family to the US in June 1958 and remained a resident of San Francisco since 1962. After retiring in 1973 with 40 years of government service, he traveled regularly to the Philippines and was a passionate fisherman, avid gardener and devoted family man.


Juan Tuscano

Eighty-five year old former Philippine Scout Juan Tuscano passed away March 3, 2004 in Santa Clara. Juan was a Golden Gate Bay Area Chapter lifetime member and had served until recently as one of the chapter's vice presidents. Mr. Tuscano, enlisted February 24, 1941 in the US Army and was assigned to Co. I, 45th Infantry (PS). He fought on Bataan, survived the Death March and prison camp, and was discharged in May 1948. Juan was an active and spirited member of the GGBAC Chapter and a dedicated Philippine Scout. He is survived by his wife, Mary Tuscano, 3216 Orthello Way Santa Clara, CA 95051.


Capt. Manuel Mabunga

Capt. (Ret.) Manuel Mabunga, President of our Lt. Alexander R. Nininger Chapter and former Scout, passed away suddenly Sunday, February 15, 2004 of heart failure in Santa Monica. He was 83.

Manny, a longtime supporter of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society, served in the 57th Infantry (PS) during World War II. He survived the Bataan Death March, escaped from POW camp and fought with the guerrillas for the remainder of the war. Manny immigrated to the U.S. in 1954, where he worked for the Veterans Administration for 35 years. His wife Adoree predeceased him; however, he is survived by daughter Liz Barredo Mabunga, son Manuel Mabunga, Jr., and grandson Christopher Manuel Mabunga.


Manuel Guiuan

Belated notification has been received that former Philippine Scout Manuel Guiuan passed away on September 26, 2003. Mr. Guiuan, who enlisted in the Philippine Scouts in 1935, spent 30 years in the U.S. Army and was a lifetime member of the Golden Gate-Bay Area Chapter. He is survived by his wife, Josefina S. Guiuan, 300 Baden Street, San Francisco, CA 94131.


Sgt. Bernabe Santa Maria

We regret to announce that Sgt Bernabe Santa Maria died in Honolulu December 30, 2003 at the age of 90. He joined the 24th Field Artillery (PS) at Fort Stotsenburg in 1934 and following the USAFFE surrender, eventually joined Major Robert Lapham's LGAF guerrilla army in Central Luzon. Following the Japanese surrender, he left the service and took advantage of the G.I. Bill to become certified as a teacher. Mr. Santa Maria taught for a number of years at Urdaneta High School in Pangasinan. He moved to Hawaii in 1968, where was employed at Pearl Harbor until retirement. He is survived by his second wife Crencia, son Edwin and brother Dr. Santa Maria from Missouri. The AX-POW Hawaii chapter is working for DIC or SBP benefits of the wife. PSHS members Gil Gutierrez and Major Fred Foz represented the Society at his wake.


Robert Lapham

Robert Lapham, a U.S. Army infantry officer and guerrilla leader during World War II, passed away at 86 at his home in Sun City, Arizona on December 18, 2003. Bob Lapham was a twenty-five year old second lieutenant attached to the 45th Infantry (Philippine Scouts) when World War II broke out. Fifty days after the Japanese attacked, he joined a small group of officers authorized by General MacArthur to slip through the Japanese lines into the Zambales Mountains to organize guerrilla resistance groups. Lt. Lapham was extremely successful at this and eventually, as more senior officers were captured or killed by the Japanese, rose to command a guerrilla army of about 13,000 which controlled most of the northern half of Luzon's large Central Plain. At the war's end, now a major, Lapham was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross by General MacArthur and the Legion of Honor by the Philippine government. (The Legion of Honor is the highest decoration given to a non-Filipino by the Philippine government and Bob Lapham was the third person, following President Roosevelt and General MacArthur, ever to receive this award.) Many years later President Ferdinand Marcos would present him with the Philippine Distinguished Service Medal.

In 1996 Lapham's Raiders: Guerrillas in the Philippines 1942-1945 was published. Arguably the best book written on WWII guerrilla warfare in the Philippines, it was coauthored by Lapham and Bernard Norling. (The book is reviewed in the summer/fall 2003 issue of our newsletter.)

Following the war, Lapham returned to Davenport, Iowa, married Sharlott Junge, a home town girl, and made a career with the Burroughs Corporation, where eventually he became vice president for industrial relations. The Laphams had been living in retirement in Sun City for many years. Bob Lapham is survived by Scharlott and two daughters.


Felino Quiamboa Silverio

Felino Quiamboa Silverio was born on November 22, 1909 and died January 2, 2004, aged 96. Prior to WWII, he served on Corregidor, but left just before the Japanese invasion. After the USAFFE surrender, he worked as a driver for the mayor in his home town of Licab, Nueva Ecija, but was arrested as a spy and tortured by the Japanese. When the mayor finally convinced the Japanese official that he was not a spy, he was released and joined the guerrilla forces. He was later assigned as a tank driver to guide the US Forces in liberating Manila from the Japanese Imperial Army. After the war, he lived in Licab, Manila, Guam, then San Francisco in retirement.

Mr. Silverio's military records were burned during the Japanese occupation and no records are available confirming his membership in the Philippine Scouts. The family would welcome any information which may be forwarded to: .


Major Eriberto Caranto

Former Philippine Scout and survivor of the Bataan Death March Eriberto Caranto, 86, of Huntsville, Alabama died on December 7, 2003. Major Caranto served 32 years in the U.S. Army and worked for the civil service until 1989. Survivors include his wife, Socorro Niverba Caranto; daughters, Milagros Rey of Southbend, Ind., Gertrudes Euler of Knoxville, Tenn., Frances Gumienny of Smyrna, Ga., Digna Caranto-Werber of Huntsville; sons, Romy Caranto of Amarillo, Texas, Rusty Caranto of Birmingham, and Daniel Caranto of San Antonio, Texas; 11 grandchildren and five great grandchildren.


Brigadier General Royal Reynolds, Jr.

I am saddened to have to report that our President Emeritus, Brigadier General, U.S. Army (Ret.) Royal Reynolds, Jr. passed away in his sleep on November 24, 2003, five weeks after his 93rd birthday.

» Read General Reynolds' Obituary


Constante R. Villalobos

Former Philippine Scout and long-time PSHS member, Constante R. Villalobos, who was born January 6, 1918 passed away on October 4, 2003.

Constante was a member of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society, Tacoma chapter and served with the 14th Engineers (PS). An ex-POW who survived the Bataan Death March, he proudly served 24 years in the US Army.

He is survived by his two children, Clemente Villalobos, and Sheree Clark and four grandchildren. He was preceded by the death wife of 54 years Rosa B. Villalobos.

Contact Ms. Sheree Clark at 3616 N. 25th St. Tacoma, WA. 98406


Alex C. Andres, Sr.

Alex C. Andres, Sr., long time PSHS stalwart and President of the LTC Lloyd E. Mills Chapter, has passed away in Rancho Palos Verdes, California at the age of 83.

Alex was transferred from the 57th Infantry (PS) to the Headquarters Company of the Philippine Division just before the Japanese invaded the Philippines. He survived combat, the Bataan Death March and Camp O'Donnell and continued in the U.S. Army following WWII, retiring as a Captain.

He is survived by his wife, Margaret, three sons, Alex Jr., Danilo and Constantino; and three daughters, Annie, Marlene and Nenita; as well as seven grandchildren.

His family may be contacted at:

1205 Bloomwood Rd.
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90732
Tel: (310) 833-0779
Fax: (310) 831-9698


Major Richard M. Gordon

November 10, 1921 - July 26, 2003

Former Scout and veterans' affairs activist Major Richard M. Gordon passed away on 7/26/03. Major Gordon was an enlisted man in the 12th MPs (PS) at the outbreak of WWII. (His was the only Philippine Scout unit that contained American as well as Filipino enlisted men.) Gordon survived combat, the Bataan Death March, incarceration at O'Donnell and Cabanatuan, a Japanese "Hell Ship" and slave labor in Japan. He wrote a book "Horyo" on his experiences and founded the Battling Bastards of Bataan, a veterans' organization which erected a series of monuments to the veterans of combat in the Philippines and lobbied for various veterans' causes. He is survived by his wife, Lyn, of Schenectady, New York.

» Read Major Gordon's Obituary


Last modified: 17-Mar-2013