Post World War II Philippine Scouts
by J. Michael Houlahan
Following WWII, the U.S. Army reconstructed the Philippine Scouts around the approximately 6,000 Scouts who survived combat, prison camp and the Japanese occupation. This reconstructed force peaked at about 36,000 and was used in occupation duty on Okinawa and some other Japanese islands and in reconstruction and guard duty assignments elsewhere.
Post-war Scout units were mostly included in the 12th Infantry Division, which was the reconstituted Philippine Division which had been a major part of General MacArthur's command. Subordinate units included the 43rd, 44th and 45th Infantry Regiments (PS); 23rd, 24th and 88th Field Artillery (PS) Battalions; 56th Engineer Battalion (PS) and the 57th Infantry Regiment (PS). (Many of these units were assigned the same designatins as units that existed prior to the war.)
The U.S. Army began phasing out the Scout units in the late 1940s and the bulk of the post-war Scouts were discharged by mid-1949. Most of the surviving pre-war Scouts (and much smaller numbers of the post war Scouts) joined other U.S. Army units, completed their military careers and retired, often to the United States.
We are interested in including as many post WWII Scouts, as well as their family members and friends, in the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society.
Last modified: 11-May-2007