Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Harold Kenneth "Hal" Snook, Jr 34th Inf (Read 458 times)
TomHoran
YaBB Newbies

Harold Kenneth "Hal" Snook, Jr 34th Inf
Jun 17th, 2018, 9:07am

Hello:-) I am helping the family of Hal Snook, Jr research their grandfather's history in WWII. His discharge papers say "Philippine Scouts." He told them NOTHING about his WWII service. They do know he also fought in the New Guinea campaign, and in the liberation campaign in Mindanao in 1945. As far as I can figure out, he "must" have been in the 34th Infantry Regiment, which had been split off from the 8th division after Pearl Harbor and was attached to 12th Inf Div for the Philippine campaign. Apparently, Snook was trained in chemistry, explosives, communications, cryptoanalysis, and other "commando" skills. He seems to have been familiar with the "Eskaya" dialect of Cebuano, and may have been liaison to them in 1945-46. But he never told his family ANYTHING. They do have one photo of him with a crew of a lumbermill, probably on Mindanao. Can anyone explain why his discharge papers say "Philippine Scouts?" When he reupped for the Korean War, he went into the Air Force as an officer and worked in Japan on radar, but I don't know if he worked radar in WWII. But he kept his WWII activities a secret, even from his family. Thanks very much for any info or advice! I have attached a photo of him in his AF uniform.

Hal_Snook.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print