Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cemetery, Saint Dominic Parish Church, Abucay (Read 8678 times)
chadhill
YaBB Newbies

Cemetery, Saint Dominic Parish Church, Abucay
Jun 28th, 2013, 4:46pm

I'm researching what happened to the remains of Alexander Nininger, Jr. after his death on January 12, 1942 and am seeking information about US and PS troops interred in the church cemetery during the Bataan campaign. In those days the church and its courtyard were bracketed by walls to the north, south, east and west.

Tranquilino Beles (PS) #6738585, whose remains were for a short time thought to be Nininger's, was apparently buried in grave number 9 on the south side of the south wall, outside the church courtyard. Does anyone know what date he was KIA, and what date he was buried there? I have read the remains were disinterred in May 1946, but they could possibly have been disinterred in January 1946 instead. Was Mr. Beles ever officially and properly identified? If so, where was he reburied?

The remains of LT Nininger, along with several other US officers, were said to have been buried on the north side of the south wall, inside the church courtyard, about January 13 or 14, 1942. Nininger is thought to have been buried in a grave also numbered 9, but on the opposite side of the wall from Beles. Nininger's remains may possibly have been recovered in January 1946, in any event  another recovery expedition to the church in May 1950 failed to find them.

One other question. Does the church today claim Nininger is still buried there, or do they believe he is buried as an unknown in Manila? Do they have any records of his burial and disinterrment at the church? Chaplain Secina, who is said to have conducted the funeral, was himself Catholic and may have made arrangements with the local parish which could have been recorded. Secina persished on the Arisan Maru in 1944.

I'm new to this forum and hope I'm not rehashing a topic already discussed, or opening a can of worms.

« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2013, 12:42pm by chadhill »  
  IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Re: Cemetery, Saint Dominic Parish Church, Abucay
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2013, 6:20am

There is a new researcher John Eakin, and a new website he runs:
bataanmissing.com that has lots of info on MIAs.  John seems to have obtined all the X-files (unknown deceased) of all the Philippine missing (US).  You could ask him if any of these are from the Abucay Church.
I doubt very much if Alexander Nininger is still interred there, given he was a Medal of Honor winner and quite famous.  However, he still is on the tablets of the Missing like my Uncle in Manila.

petrao57   IP Logged
pattj
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2013, 5:24pm

Please call me in Rhode Island at 401-885-7776.  I'm Sandy Nininger's nephew.  'Best,    --John Alexander Patterson

IP Logged
pattj
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2013, 5:43pm

Please call me in Rhode Island at 401-885-7776.  I'm Sandy Nininger's nephew.  'Best,    --John Alexander Patterson

IP Logged
chadhill
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2015, 7:53pm

Hello to all,

I've been in contact with Mr. Patterson and am continuing to research this.

One of the men buried on the south side of the south wall of the church courtyard was an American that was never identified. His remains were found with an insignia bearing the inscription "Verus Et Fidelis Semper" which was the motto of the 91st CA (PS). As far as I can tell, the only unit from the 91st that served on Bataan was Battery C of the 2nd Battalion.  

To the best of my knowledge, all of the soldiers buried along this wall were KIA during January 1942.  Does anyone have information about casualties from Battery C or any other 91st CA unit during this period of time?

Chad Hill

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2015, 9:37am by chadhill »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print