Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PInay Nurses and the Guerilla movement (Read 8040 times)
Manang Cam
YaBB Newbies

PInay Nurses and the Guerilla movement
Sep 26th, 2012, 8:54pm

Does anyone know if the Pinay nurses who were released by the Japanese on Corregidor, or elsewhere went back to their villages, or joined the Guerrilla movement by providing medical care to the fighters?

I've been doing some research about my Aunt; who was a nurse either on Corregidor or at Sternberg, and the other hospitals.  From what I've gathered, someone told me that if they were captured by the Japanese; the were released...

So if anyone knows anything I'd appreciate it....

IP Logged
pattj
YaBB Administrator

Re: PInay Nurses and the Guerilla movement
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2012, 2:30pm

I've asked someone about the Filipino nurses.  I hope I get a reply since all the nurses were superb under terrible condition.  Best regards,

Sen. John Patterson
President Emeritus
Philippine Scouts Heritage Society

IP Logged
pinoyq8
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2013, 8:30pm

Try to connect with the Chief Nurse, Camp Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo.

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2013, 2:13am by pinoyq8 »  
  IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2014, 12:01am

(The)  "Guerrillas ... had a very complete military outfit, including medics. Some of the best-known physicians and trained nurses in the Islands had gone to the hills and volunteered their services to the leaders of the free movement."  (2)

The surrendered Filipina nurses were taken to Old Bilibid, then released in July. Some became spies and couriers. (1)  Others went to the hills of Cebu, Luzon, Leyte, Samar, Mindoro, Mindanao, and Negros, etc.,  they ... "accompanied the guerrillas in their movements against the enemy" caring for the guerrillas and the people of the near-by towns and villages in the hospitals and clinics the nurses, doctors, and medics created from almost nothing.  Chick Parson's Guerrilla submarines began deliveries in mid 1944 ... (1) (2)

source :
1) oral history, and writings of Frankie T. Lewey, USANC.,(1910-1987)  (in my possession)
2) p 153  Rendezvous by Submarine the story of Charles Parsons and the guerrilla - soldiers in the Philippines
Travis Ingham    Doubleday, Doran and Company, Inc.  Garden City,  New York 1945

name                   - nursing school                    - home          - birth date

Gregoria Espinosa     St Pauls Hospital,  Manila    Tarlac, Tarlac;  October 24
Auralia F. Barrera      St Luke's Hospital, Manila   Cavite
Lucila F. Barrera        St Luke's Hospital, Manila   Cavite
Sacorra Basan          Southern Islands Hosp        Cebu City,  Cebu
Esperanza W. Valido    St Luke's, Manila              Badoc, Ilocos Norte         
Ding Seuk-ching      Leingkong Bah Sing Church, Fouchow, Fukin, China; Jan 8th
Emelda Mendosa Tinawin    St Luke's Manila       Bulacan 1918-2000
Cleopatra Delay        Chinese Hospital, Manila    Aringay, La Union, Luzon
Sustinez A. Lorenzana    St. Luke's Hospital Manila  Bayambong, Nueva Viscaya  Nov 28th
Ana L. Kayan   St Luke's Hospital  Manila   Bantoc, Mt Prov, Luzon July 3rd
Jane Swarz
(1)
Benilda Castaneda   San Juan de Dios  - Vigan, Ilocos Sur,

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2017, 9:16pm by Rainbow Trout  aka Sue »  
WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2014, 2:29pm

Here is a bit more information for you.

This information comes from We Remember Bataan and Corregidor by Lt Col Mariano Sanchez Villarin USAR (ret) (dec 2006) a veteran of Bataan and Corregidor. 1990
isbn0-9626127-0-7, a well researched, well documented book, with good presentation.... Page 119 ...  

Benilda Castaneda, from Vigan, Ilocos Sur, was one of the Philippine Angels who served on Bataan and Corregidor. She, like the other Filipina nurses, was "evacuated"  by the Japanese from Corregidor to Old Bilibid (Manila, Luzon) She was released and sent home  on July 1st.  When the Americans returned, she received a Bronze Star medal for her war-time activities.

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2014, 4:41am by Rainbow Trout  aka Sue »  
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2014, 7:14pm

July 2, 1942   ...re: those aboard the Corregidor-to-Manila ship -  patients, a few doctors and orderlies, plus a number of American and Filipino soldier-prisoners .... and the nurses. The nurses were the last ones off the ship and the first ones off the pier

"The 57 American nurses and 14 other American women were put aboard buses and taken to Santo Tomas. The 31 Filipino nurses and 7 other Filipino women as well as the male prisoners, it was learned later, were taken to Bilibid Prison. The American nurses spoke highly of the Filipino nurses and their faithfulness to duty during the terrible months on Bataan and Corregidor."

My mother, Lt Frankie T Lewey, USANC, had Dengue fever while on Bataan. She said her life was saved by the skilled nursing she received from Lt. Esperanza W. Valido, (I think she was USAFFE. Esperanza died from cancer about 5-6 years after the war ended.2

Source:
Page 186, Corregidor Surrender
The Japanese Occupation of the Philippines by A.V.H. Hartendorp
c 1967  AVH Hartendorp  First Edition  MBD Printing-Makati , Rizal

Source
1945 post liberation  Letter from Frankie Lewey to Pastor W. Valido; undelivered, returned to sender. Letter in my possession.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print