Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Col. Pastor Martelino (Read 2393 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Col. Pastor Martelino
Nov 16th, 2011, 9:09am

jojoddr

YaBB Newbies

Philippines

Re: Search for info on Grandfather
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2011, 11:26am Quote  

Dear Sir,
I have been in the process of researching snippets of information on my grandfather.  This has become even more important as my cousins and I are planning our first family reunion since the 60's.  I am hoping you can help.  My grandfathers name was Col. Pastor Martelino.  At this point, all I know is that he graduated from the USMA in 1920.  He was with the Philippine Scouts and largely acknowledged as the first Filipino superintendent of the Phil Military Academy.  He was captured by the japanese prior to the liberation in 1945 and was later executed (Jan 8, 1945?).  I would appreciate it if you could help me find out more information on him.  Thank you so very much.  
With my utmost regards!

Editor-at-Large

YaBB Administrator

Ohio

Re: Search for info on Grandfather
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2011, 10:03am Quote Modify Remove  

I am reposting your message and this reply under your grandfather's name, as this is more apt to solicit further information.  There are a number of brief mentions of Col. Pastor C. Martelino (USMA '20), the first Filipino superintendent of the Philippine Military Academy (1/6/36-31/5/40), on the internet.  The following was in commemoration of this death resisting the Japanese:  

KALIBO, Aklan – National Historical Institute (NHI) Deputy Executive Director Emelita Almosara yesterday honored two Aklanon national heroes -- Col. Pastor C. Martelino and Capt. Gil. M. Meñez who gave their life in the service of their country during World War II.

The unveiling of historical markers in honor of the two heroes took place in the edifices named in their honor -- one at the Camp Pastor C. Martelino in Brgy. New Buswang, the headquarters of the Aklan Provincial Police Office, and the other at the Capt. Gil M. Mijares Building beside Pastrana Park at the center of the town that houses the Municipal Library, Social Hall and the Kalibo Police Station.

Mayor Reymar Rebaldo said Almosara told him that “this is probably the first of its kind in the whole country -- two historical markers were simultaneously unveiled” during the celebration of the town’s 435th foundation day at that.

Col. Pastor C. Martelino hailed from Kalibo, Aklan and a true-blue Military Academy graduate in West Point, New York. He is the first Filipino superintendent of the Philippine Military Academy.

When war in the Philippines broke out, he was the Chief of Staff of the 31st Infantry Division of the Philippine Army and was caught with other USAFFE defenders. He was offered the rank of a general by the Japanese Imperial Army to defend Corregidor from a coming US-led invasion to take back the Philippines. His refusal made him subject to 14 days of torture. He died at Fort Santiago in 1945.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print