Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Philippine Scouts on Corregidor (Read 3938 times)
Will Walker
YaBB Newbies

Philippine Scouts on Corregidor
Oct 01st, 2011, 5:38pm

Hello,

I am doing research on Corregidor and the other fortified islands of Manila Bay.  I am researching life on these islands during peacetime, the outbreak of war, and their defense and surrender.  My main focus thus far has been on the 59th and 60th Coast Artillery.  I am also becoming interested in learning about the Philippine Scouts that served on these islands, particularly the 91st and 92nd Coast Artillery.  In most of the material that I have read, there isn't much information on these men and their particular story during World War II.  So I must admit I know very little about them.  However, I have read that many of these soldiers were assigned to the batteries on Corregidor and Ft. Hughes and Frank.  Many of them were assigned to these different guns long before the war broke out.

I was wondering if anyone may know more about Philippine units on Corregidor and their story during the siege and surrender.  From what I can tell the 91st and 92nd were the only two units, but during that chaotic period there could have been several others as well.  Are there any books that tell this story, or any interviews with these men available?

Sincerely,

Will Walker
corregidor.research@gmail.com

IP Logged
Ron
YaBB Newbies

San Jose, CA
Re: Philippine Scouts on Corregidor
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2012, 8:11pm

Hi Will,

My grandfather served with the 92nd Coast Artillery (PS), Battery B at Fort Mills, Corregidor. I've been doing research on his military service in the Philippine Scouts since his enlistment (1922) until the surrender of his unit to the Japanese Imperial Army on 7 May 1942. He was a survivor of the Bataan Death March, and incarcerated at Camp O'Donnell. Upon his release, he joined Major Lapham's Guerrilla forces in Pampanga and was appointed Captain of the Caribou Brigade. Towards the end of his military career, he joined the AUS where he accepted a commission as 1st Lieutenant, U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps.

If I find any books, articles or other materials that will help you in your research on the 91st and 92nd Coast Artillery (PS) units, I will let you know.

Good hunting!
Ron P. Muriera
rpmuriera@gmail.com

WWW   IP Logged
dokinel
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2013, 8:58am

I had an idea  that my grandfather was a US Army  WW II veteran as I remember going with my grandmother to Clark airbase and Subic Naval base commisaries to buy PX goods. Whenever it was All Souls Day, there was an american Flag on his grave. My grand mother would tell me stories about the war and most striking now is her story about leaving  the island where they resided in 1942  because the Japanese were comming . She needed to take all her 10 kids away while leaving my grandfather ,an army sergeant ,behind. The place, Fort Mills and the  island was Corregidor which happened to be the birthpace of my father.
    My grandmother also told me stories that they lived in barrio San Jose , Corregidor. She even showed me an old photograph of herself and  my grand father in his army uniform with his field hat. Being a child then in the 70s i just had no appreciation of these.

I have also been doing research about my grandfather , Sgt. Rufo Hufano (PS). I have  wriiten to the National Personnel Records Center, St. Louis  Missouri and they have sent me culled data about his military records since the section where his files were stored was damaged by fire in 1973. Nevertheless, the data was still very substantial.
   What  I found   from  ancestry.com  was more surprising. I pieced up all the information culled from the documents that I gathered from these 2 sources.

Sergeant Rufo Hufano  US Army -Philippine Scouts
Born : 1894
Enlisted : 1919 Fort Mills Corregidor.
Assignments : 19th Co. 5th Bn
              289th Co. C.A.C (PS)
              Battery F  92nd CA (PS)
              Det of patients  10th gen hosp (PS)
POW : 5-7-1942 to 5-28-1945
Re enlist : 10-16-1945
Died : 1950  at 8th medical group  Clark Airforce Base
      Reported in form F 8-192- Death of an American Citizen with notation : Registered as US Citizan . Original certificate of naturalization No. OM-27903 issued in manila Aug 15, 1946.
   My grandfather enlisted when he was 25 year old in 1919. He was a non commissioned officer at age 46 during the seige of Corregidor.

According to the PS heritage site , there are still 2 surviving members of the 92nd CA. I tried to get in touch with them to no avail .Materials about the Philippine Scouts in Corregidor island is indeed sparse. I hope you guys have stumbled on other materials.

IP Logged
Ron
YaBB Newbies

San Jose, CA
Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2013, 2:34pm

Hi Nelson,

Thanks for your post and e-mail. I am happy to find someone else whose grandfather served in the 92nd CA (PS). Thanks also for sharing background information on the research of your grandfather. I've been fortunate to inherit my grandfather's photos during his days with the PS. I'm wondering if your grandfather might be in the photos. I've also been lucky to have some of his documents (honorable discharge papers, records of service, field report after his capture, etc.) passed on to me for safekeeping by my auntie (she is the youngest of my grandfather's children, my mom being the eldest), along with some of his medals (Bronze Star being one of them).

Looks like your grandfather enlisted with the PS 3 years before my grandfather did. I, too have tried to contact the surviving members of the 92nd CA and also was unsuccessful. I have a feeling that many of our grandfathers' fellow comrades have passed as many of the surviving Philippine Scouts are reaching their 80s and 90s.

Like you, I've been continuing my research on the 92nd CA and have found very little, besides what is included in the publication "The Philippine Scouts" edited by Col. John Olson and published by the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society.

If you are interested, I would like to continue communicating with you on both our research as you are the first person who I've come across that is also doing research on their grandfather who served in the 92nd CA. You have my e-mail as I also received your post via e-mail. Here is my info:

Ron P. Muriera
Email: rpmuriera@gmail.com
Cell: (510) 919-8469

I reside in San Jose, CA where I'm also the administrator for the Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS), Santa Clara Valley Chapter. I'm also a national trustee with FANHS. In addition, I'm a member of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society, Lt. Alexander R. Nininger Chapter ("Living History"/Re-enactors chapter).

I would be more than happy to share my findings with you on my continued research of the 92nd CA.

If you check out other areas of the PSHS Message Board, you will see a photo that I posted of my grandfather (circa 1927 or so).

I hope to hear from you soon.

Warmest regards,
~Ron

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print