Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Organization dates (Read 3600 times)
Distant Admirer
YaBB Newbies

Organization dates
Aug 09th, 2011, 9:56pm

I have no connection to the Scouts except interest, having read about them in several histories of World War II.

I read in several places on the Internet that the Philippine Scouts date to 1901. I am curious about the exact date or dates associated with the Scouts.  When were the first men enlisted in what denoted as PS from the beginning or which are agreed to have been antecedents of the Scouts.   And what were the start up dates for the various units that existed in December 1941?

Perhaps this information is on the website and I was not smart enough to find it.  If so, please excuse this post, but any information is appreciated.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Organization dates
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2011, 9:08pm

Scout Origins

Organized in 1901 and recruited from the indigenous population, the Philippine Scouts initially were used to suppress Muslim Moro rebels in the southern islands and garrison the Philippines when most U.S. troops were diverted to Europe during World War I. In gratitude for this, the U.S. Congress authorized induction of the 6,000 Scouts into the regular U. S. Army.

A common misperception is that the Philippine Scouts are descended from the Macabebe Scouts, who gained notoriety by serving first the Spanish, then the Americans during the suppression of the Philippine independence movement. The Macabebe's also are resented for playing a key role in the capture by subterfuge of General Emilio Aguinaldo, leader of the Filipino independence forces. The Philippine Scouts and the Macabebe Scouts were formed almost simultaneously, but separately.

A thorough examination of the Philippine Scout origins can be found in the article "America's Sepoys" by Chris Yeazel beginning on page 6 os the spring 2008 issue of the PSHS Newsletter, which can be accessed on the PSHS website at www.philippine-scouts.org.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Distant Admirer
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2011, 5:12am

Thank you for this information.  I read the article in the Newsletter cited and it says the topic will be continued in the next newslatter.  But the 2008 number is the last for which thee is a link.  Is the "next newsletter" something I must subscribe to obtain, following which I would receive several at omce electronically if that means of distribution were selected?  Or will links to subsequent newsletters be added at some point?

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2011, 4:24pm

No.  I've asked the webmaster to put that issue on line, so it should be available sometime in the next week.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print