Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mount Samat Shrine in Bataan (Read 9551 times)
Karl-Wilhelm Welteke
YaBB Newbies

I am an USN
vet.interested in
Phil-Am History.

Subic Bay
Mount Samat Shrine in Bataan
Aug 3rd, 2011, 7:38am

This is a resurrected thread. The previous link thru Kodak Image Sharing was dead because they don’t allow posting links on bulletin boards etc anymore. That was a great disappointment and let down. So now these images are being shifted to other accounts.

In 2007 Nov. the 8th I walked up Mt. Samat and took many pictures. I divided them into three albums, this is the biggest one. The other two albums will follow. This album is mostly about plaques, descriptions, marble murals, gun displays and general scenery of the museum level. They are in great detail. The actual museum was closed and it is not allowed to take pictures in there anyway. Here are 126 images:

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/PI-Sailor/Manila%20Bay%20Forts-Other/Bata...

Here are some smaller sample images:

The Entrance

Google Map Image

The Cross

Structure with the Museum

2nd Regular Div. Icon

Museum Level

Gun Display

One of the many Marble Murals

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2011, 3:13am by Karl-Wilhelm Welteke »  
WWW   IP Logged
Karl-Wilhelm Welteke
YaBB Newbies

I am an USN
vet.interested in
Phil-Am History.

Subic Bay
Re: Mount Samat Shrine in Bataan
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2011, 6:42am

This is the 2nd album out of three. It is all about how the access road to the shrine looks like and some of the interesting sights along the way. In 2007 Nov. the 8th I walked up Mt. Samat and took many pictures. I divided them into three albums, this is the second  one, has 90 images, and only deals with the walk.
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/PI-Sailor/Manila%20Bay%20Forts-Other/Bata...

Here are some smaller sample images:

A VIP house on the Mt. Samat slopes.

The Knights of Columbus planted trees.

At this km stone is a short-cut to the top.

A Landmark for the Outstanding Engineering  Work of the Shrine

A memorial to the Fallen

Road Maintenance Workers.

The abandoned house of President Marcos.

A Japanese Memorial Marker.

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2011, 3:15am by Karl-Wilhelm Welteke »  
WWW   IP Logged
Karl-Wilhelm Welteke
YaBB Newbies

I am an USN
vet.interested in
Phil-Am History.

Subic Bay
Re: Mount Samat Shrine in Bataan
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2011, 5:56am

This is the 3rd album and shows the cross, the cross level, views, area around the cross. I took pictures of all the murals around the base of the cross. The elevator was not open but that was not in my plan to go up there anyway. This album has 56 images:

Here are some sample small images

Looking down on the museum level from the zig-zag path up to the cross level.

The base is capped with sculptural slabs and reliefs depicting important historical figures

The dedication plaque for the Shrine of Valor

The Cross of the Shrine of Valor

The last km stone to the Shrine of Valor located on Mt. Samat.

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2011, 3:18am by Karl-Wilhelm Welteke »  
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print