Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Henry Kwan (Read 3492 times)
Bernie DuPlessis
YaBB Newbies

Henry Kwan
May 07th, 2011, 12:12pm

Let me first explain who I am then what I was trying to find out. I am 77 years old and served as a commissioned officer for two years (1955 - 1957) on active duty (7th Army - Germany) and six years (1958 - 1963) in the active reserve (80th Inf. Div. - Virginia) going inactive 1963 as a Captain.

While in Germany I was assigned as XO to the 12th Labor Supervision District (LSD's are in themselves a long story for another day). My CO for part of that time was Captain Henry Kwan. He was a former Philippine Scout (M/Sgt. I believe) who was captured at Bataan, was on the Death March, escaped and joined the guerrillas. During the war his wife and son were killed. He later remarried and had another son. After the war he was offered the opportunity to go to OCS at Ft. Gordon did and was commissioned.

Our outfit was considered a cushy assignment so he stayed there for about one year before he retired and I replaced him as CO. As I understand it, he and his family went back to the Philippines. I lost track of him soon after he left our outfit. I have an 8 X 10 photo of him taken in late 1956 or early 1957 along with about six German officers and another American officer and me. The German angle is another interesting story.

All of this came up in my reading several books about the Death March, the American captives and the Los Banos and Cabanatuan raids. In my email contacts it was suggested that I "Google" Capt. Kwan's name and see what shows up. Your web site was prominent so here I am.

I am interested to find out what happened to him.

Thanks for your help!

Bernie DuPlessis  

IP Logged
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Re: Henry Kwan
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2011, 11:22am

Hello, could this be the same Henry Kwan you are looking for?

Please see info in this other thread. Thanks.

http://www.philippine-scouts.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1232740032/7

IP Logged
Bernie DuPlessis
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2011, 4:22pm

I'm not sure. The Henry Kwan I knew was supposed to be retiring to the Philippines; but that ws 54 years ago. I have this photo of 5 German and 3 American officers including Capt. Kwan but would need to share a copy of it with someone who knew him and would recognize him.

Bernie DuPlessis

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - May 18th, 2011, 6:52pm

Hi,

I have run down some records on a Henry (Enrique) Kwan that might help in identifying him.    One is a WW II Army Enlistment record.  I have to explain this first.  After the war ended these guerrillas were enlisted in the US Army.  While they never left the Philippines this Army enlistment Record states they were enlisted in Montana.  I will give the particulars.
Name:  Enrique Kwan
Year of Birth:  1918
Nativity State or country:  Philippine Islands
State Of residence:  Montana, Limited Service or Philippine Islands.
Enlistment Date:  26 Feb 1945
Enlistment State:  California
Enlistment City:  Portola
Branch Code:  Field Artillery
Grade:  Corporal

I got this from Ancestry.com   It might be also available on NARA,aad, which is free.

Then I got a Social Security Death Record.
Henry A. Kwan
586-60-6797
Last Residence:  20852 Rockville, Montgomery, Maryland
Born:  8 Juk 1918
Died:  12 Juk 2010
State (Year)  Guam, American Somoa, Philippine or Northern Mariana Islands  (1961-1971).

I think the Enlistment record for Enrique is the soldier in the Army in Germany, but I am not sure that the Death Record is the Kwan in Germany.

Hope The helps out and Enrique is the spanish for Henry.

Regards,

Thomas McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print