Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
26th Cavalry collar disk (Read 7755 times)
noworky
YaBB Newbies

26th Cavalry collar disk
Nov 26th, 2010, 8:13pm

Hello to all this is my first post, I'm doing an exhibit for the Museum of Idaho in Idaho Falls September 2011 so I have plenty of time to get what I'm lacking. The exhibit is going to focus on the Last US Cavalry Charge in 1942. The exhibit will consist of a nice M1928 McClellan saddle with all the gear and mannequin of an enlisted member of the 26th Cavalry. I already have a nice original set of khaki cotton breeches and shirt originally patched for the Philippine Department. I also have a nice set of original M1940 boots.I thought I would try to find type II collar disk and the attachment is a disk I found which I think is type II but not positive, I like some opinions from you guys and they would be greatly appreciated. I want my exhibit to be 100% accurate. Thanks, Chris

scan0013__426_x_378_.jpg
  IP Logged
cbuehler
YaBB Newbies

Re: 26th Cavalry collar disk
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2011, 11:41am

Hello Chris,
The disk you illustrate is the type worn in the early 1920's when the switch was made from bronze to gilt. This was replaced with another type of disk with a cross hatch pattern in the later 20's which was in turn replaced with the 2 piece disk which was worn into ww2. Numbers were not always present on later issues toward the beginning of the war.
In any case, collar disks were never worn on shirts, nor were shoulder patches. Both of these were for the khaki coat only.
Despite what many reenactors may do, only rank insignia was authorized for wear on shirts, and once into the battle for Bataan, even that was sometimes dispensed with.
So a plain khaki drill shirt of the prewar pattern (the heavy weight type with front placket) with nothing on it at all would be the most accurate representation for a trooper in Bataan.
Regards,
Conrad

IP Logged
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Re: 26th Cavalry collar disk
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2011, 7:32pm

Some additional info, the M1940 3-buckle boots may have been available at the outbreak of war but Col. Ramsey recalled only officers had them, and even then just a few. The enlisted men wore the 1931 lace up boots.

Conrad is correct about the patches on shirt. Some reenactors choose to put on the patches for "torch bearing" purposes. I've seen shirt patches only in post-war photos.

Good luck on the exhibit, I hope you could post some pictures from it after the event.

Victor

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print