Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CIB for wartime service in PS? (Read 5813 times)
MML
YaBB Newbies

CIB for wartime service in PS?
Aug 11th, 2010, 8:34am

Dear PSHS members,
I am trying to determine my father's eligibility for military awards for his service with the PS during WW2 and hope anyone can help.  By way of background, my father retired from the US Army in 1966 after 24 years of honorable service; as for myself, I am a USAF veteran.

Specifically, I am looking for any information regarding unit authorizations for the Combat Infantryman's Badge awarded to members of the PS, possibly specifically to the 57 INF.  One of the reasons for this request is to determine Dad's eligibility for the Bronze Star Medal; as an infantryman who was awarded the PH and <possibly> the CIB he would be eligible for the BSM per AR 800-6-22.  

Recently Dad and I requested copies of his service record from NPRC, and while my father served with the PS but there are scant references to PS combat service in his record.  There are passing references in his WD AGO Form 20, WD AGO Form 21 and DD Form 4 regarding guerrilla service as an infantryman with the PS from April 1942 to Feb 1946,  although no specific PS unit is indicated.  Dad is insistent that he is eligible for the CIB as he saw repeated combat engagements and was wounded in action while assigned to the PS.

Later service (in Aug 1946) shows assignment to D Co, 57 IN RGT, and (in Oct 1946) to HQ/HQ Co, 57 IN RGT.  

He was wounded in July 1945 but was not formally awarded the PH for those wounds until March 1966, as indicated by his retirement DD214.   There are multiple references to the combat injuries in his medical records.  However, there is no record of any awarding of the CIB in his NPRC paperwork.  

I realize this is fragmented information due to the nature of records that are 50+ years old, but any/all information folks might be able to provide is very much appreciated.  My father is now 86 years old and unable to provide much in terms of personal recollection of that period.  

Many thanks in advance --
MML
Maryland, USA

IP Logged
Robersabel
YaBB Newbies

Arizona
Re: CIB for wartime service in PS?
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2011, 12:28pm

MML,

If you would share the name of your father, it could be determined if records are accessable through the Internet.

If they are, no doubt evidence would reveal unit assignment which would justify the BSM [with]CIB.

If you do not choose to reveal your father's name in this thread, PM me.

Robert

IP Logged
Raleigh
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2011, 3:37pm

MML,

The 57th IN REG (PS) surrendered on 9 April, 1942, and would not have been a functioning unit in name afterwards.  However, it was reorganized on 6 April, 1946, in the Philippine Islands.  Your father may well have fought as a guerilla as a former member of the 57th IN REG.  COL Olson may well be able to help you establish if he had been in the 57th during the defense of Bataan and the Philippines.  If he were assigned to the 57th IN Regiment, he would be eligible for a CIB and BSM.  Guerilla units were not considered Infantry units.  The editor and COL Olson should be able to determine if he was in the 57th during the actions on Bataan.  Being assigned to the 57th after it's reorganization post WWII would also not qualify him for a CIB.
Here is a brief history of the 57th IN REG (PS):
http://www.military.com/HomePage/UnitPageFullText/1,13476,707915,00.htm

Sincerely,
Raleigh

WWW   IP Logged
MML
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2011, 8:53pm

Raleigh, Robersabel,

Many thanks for your replies and I truly appreciate the offers for assistance.  At this stage I would prefer to do any checks about Dad's individual service privately.  I replied to you both via PM.  

v/r,
MML

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2011, 7:05pm

MML,

I got involved with athe CBI being awarded for Guerrilla activities after the surrenders of both Gen King and Gen Wainwright.  The gentlemen I was in contact with lives right here in Surprise, AZ.  He retired from the Air Force at Luke Field here.

In his research, he stated that the CIB took into consideration athose fighting as Guerrillas in the Philippines and they should be awarded.

I ran across an entry in one of my books about this Philippine fighting.  The author and his buddies were all set to get the CIB when they were separated from the service in San Francisco.  But they were all turned down.  That was in one of my books.  I have been looking for it ever sense.  I have close to 80.

This iindividual told me that those in the book that were turned down (this was in the late 40s) possibly were contacted and awarded it after the book was published.  

I can put you in contact with him if you think it would do some good.  It mainly looks like records are missing on your father and his involvement with the PS.  

This contact was at the end of last July.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print