Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gladys Ketchum interee at Santo Tomas (Read 4845 times)
Barbara Keck
YaBB Newbies

Gladys Ketchum interee at Santo Tomas
Jul 19th, 2010, 11:02am

I am a book dealer and over the years have bought material from many sources. I recently took a box of "better stuff" from storage and deceided to do some research on some ot the items.
I found your site and the fact that a Scott Fisher was looking for information regarding his Great Aunt Gladys Ketchum.
I have a book titled Official Journal of the Japanese Military Adminstration Vol. #3.  It appears that Gladys Ketchum owned this book . Her name and room number is on the first page. She used this as a scrap book and kept all of her writings, meal tickets etc. on these pages.  My goal is to get in touch with the family so that they may obtain this item from me.
My thanks to anyone who can possible connect me with Scott Fisher or his family.
Barbara Keck   bkeck2821@verizon.net

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Gladys Ketchum interee at Santo Tomas
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2010, 5:15am

The following comment is from Sascha Jansen, a former internee at Santo Tomas who is an officer in BACEPOW (Bay Area Civilan Ex-Prisoners of War).

Gladys Ketchum went out to the Philippines in the late 30s to visit her brother who was in the military. She became a good friend right off the bat, as bachelors brought out their dates and young women out to our plantation to play golf etc.

She never married in the PI and was put in Santo Tomas. She also helped out at Holy Ghost convent before she went to Los Banos. She had no relations named Fisher in the PI to my knowledge. We knew her after the war in California and she was also a very good friend with the Army Nurses throughout her life. She married Vernon Jowers in the 50s/no children. They divorced. She spent 1 month with me three months before she died of Cancer, where she then spent her last days with Denny Williams, one of the nurses.

She was a good friend of the Blinzer sisters, (Leanne Noe) and Maria Tseu who is in Hawaii. She was also lifelong friends with the Francisco/ Luiz de Alcuaz families.

This book find sounds wonderful. I wonder how Fisher is related.

Hope this helps someone.

Aloha - Sascha

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Gladys Ketchum interee at Santo Tomas
Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2010, 5:20am

Angus Lorezen is the Commander of the BACEPOW group.

I found Gladys Esperanza Ketchum listed as an internee at Los Banos, probably transferred there in 1943 or 1944.  There were no other Ketchums listed.  There was a family of three Fishers listed in Los Banos also, who may or may not have been related to Gladys.

We have nobody named Fisher in the BACEPOW membership.  If Scott Fisher posted an inquiry about Gladys, why can't Barbara Keck respond to that posting?

Sasha - with your encyclopedic knowledge of people in the camps, do you know of anyone named Fisher who might be related to Galdys?

Cheers, Angus

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print