Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thomas Kondo (Read 5041 times)
JJ Wylie
YaBB Newbies

Thomas Kondo
May 04th, 2010, 12:35pm

My maternal grandfather, Thomas Kondo, served in the Philippine Scouts until 1947. I have a digital copy of his Honorable Discharge Form.

His discharge form from that year is dated 11 May 1947. It states his organization as being "716th Repl Co (PS) APO 74" and his place of separation as "145th Repl Bn (PS) APO 74".

His grade was "T/4" and the reason for his separation was "Convenience to the Government Surplus to the needs of the Army."

Although his discharge form states that he had 9 months and 23 days of service, it also lists his previous length of service as 5 years, 4 months, and 5 days. But it's blank for "Battles and Campaigns."

Could it be that he didn't join the Philippine Scouts until 1946, after the war ended? And how would I find out about that previous length of service?

My grandfather died in 1976 before I could meet him. I also have another discharge form that says he served in the US Army during the Korean War. I am trying to put together the story of this life, and any information/advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically, I am looking for records or accounts of his service with the Philippine Scouts, as well as clues as to what he did before.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Re: Thomas Kondo
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2011, 7:37am

Any chance these two similar names, Thomas Kondo and Tomas Kondo,  are the same person? Next, are these two Tomas Kondo, the same person?

Name: Tomas Kondo
Birth Year:      1918
Race: Filipino, Citizen (Filipino)
State of Residence:Philippine Islands      
Enlistment Date: 26 Feb 1941
Branch: Ordnance Department
Branch Code: Ordnance Department
Grade: Private
Term of Enlistment: One year enlistment
Component: Philippine Scouts (Officers and Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life      
Education:      4 years of high school
Civil Occupation: Semiskilled chauffeurs and drivers, bus, taxi, truck, and tractor
Marital Status: Single, without dependents

POW record
Name: Tomas Kondo
Residence State: Phillipine Islands      
Report Date: 7 May 1942
Latest Report Date:      
Grade: Private
Grade Notes: Cadet, USMA or Chief Warrant Officer or Private or Apprentice, Seaman
Service Branch: Army
Arm or Service: Ordnance Department
Arm or Service Code: Ordnance Department
Area Served: Southwest Pacific Theatre: Philippine Islands
Detaining Country: Japan
Camp: Philippines Unstated Philippines 14-121
Status: Returned to Military Control, Liberated or Repatriated

courtesy of Ancestry.com

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
FriscoHare
YaBB Administrator

Re: Thomas Kondo
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2011, 9:18pm

You could always request for his records from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Maybe the records might have documents on what he did while with the Scouts.

Tomas Kondo's Army Serial Number: 10303284

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print