Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1LT Roger W Swain (Read 4745 times)
Dave Duhan
YaBB Newbies

Saint Petersburg, Florida
1LT Roger W Swain
Mar 02nd, 2010, 10:16pm

I am not sure if this belongs in the Scouts or Units thread. I am trying to find some information about my grandfather. His name was 1LT Roger W Swain 91st Coastal Artillery and he was in the Philippines when the Japanese invaded. He was in the Army Mine Planter service as I remember my grandmother saying he was in underwater demolitions. I think he was either in battery A or G but I really can't find anything but brief references about mine planting  like the letter from Col. Shoss. Any info about LT Swain or what he did or what the mine planters were doing would be very helpful as I am trying to compile information so my son will know who his great grandfather was and what he did and even my mother, as she never met her father and really know nothing about him. Thank you for any help that you can provide.

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: 1LT Roger W Swain
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2010, 12:31am

Dave Duhan,

91st Coast Artillery has a web site and information on the activities.  I was able to get 2 WW II Prisoners of the Japancese records.  One has him in the 91st (PS) Regiment.  He was in Cabanatuan POW camp and he died on 23 Jan 1945 with the sinking of Brazil Maru.  Some of this information you probably already know.

Duties of Batteries A & G..

A:  Had 3 primaries duties,   Maintain the mine equiptment and cables, lay and operate mine field, and man Battery Martin( 2 155 mm 6PF guns).

G:  Shared the mine duties with Battery A and manned Battery Ramsey (2 6-inch guns).

The 91st had 2 Battalions, A & G. were in the 1st Battalion which was the Mine Group.  The 2nd Battalion was the "gun Battalion" and consisted of Batteries B, C, D, E, & F.

Battery A was commanded by Captain Richard Smith, a Cavalry Officer,  Gervassio Estorba was the 1Sgt.

Battery G was commanded by Major Erven Sommerfield.

All of this is on the 91st Web Site.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Dave Duhan
YaBB Newbies

Saint Petersburg, Florida
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2010, 2:16pm

Thanks Tom. I have found the info about the 91st at the corregidor.org website, but was hoping to find more about what the mine planters were doing before they were surrendered. I have only found one reference to my grandfather and that was on the rolls of prisoners on the Oryoku Maru. You say you found 2 references? I guess I was hoping to find more about what he actually did but that may be impossible. I did see that Frankie Ramirez (one of the surviving Philippine Scouts from the 91st) is still alive and was part of battery A. My mother is writing a letter to him to see if he remembers Lt. Swain. Thanks Again.
Dave Duhan

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2010, 6:25pm

Dave Duhan,

I have the name of the daughter of the Officer who was in Charge of the Mine Planters at Manila Bay.  They lived below the Kirkpatricks on Corregidor.  I am sorry but I don't remember the Officer's name, the one in charge.  His daughrter is Dr.Selma Calmes, she used to be at UCLA medical center.  This is 4 - 6 year old information.  Her email address used to be "shcmd@ucla.edu".  

My youngest son had congenital glaucoma and we practically lived at UCLA while he was receiving treatment during his first 6 or 7 years.  I have never met Dr Calmes but do remember her association with  UCLA because of my son.  She used to get messages at the Corregidor Web site and maybe some of the others involved have more information.on her and her father.

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print