Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lt. Co. Winfield R. McKay (Read 6666 times)
wcscollect
YaBB Newbies

Lt. Co. Winfield R. McKay
Feb 10th, 2010, 10:37am

I am looking for any information on Philippine Scout officer, Lt. Col. Winfield R. McKay, US Army. McKay was born in Pennsylvania in 1897 and died in Florida in 1985.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Lt. Co. Winfield R. McKay
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2010, 11:03am

It would increase your chances of obtaining information if you could indicate what years he was a Philippine Scout and the Scout unit in which he served.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
wcscollect
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2010, 11:17am

I have no absolute dates of service in the PS. It appears it would have been between 1935 and 1940.

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2010, 11:49pm

WCSCOLLECT,

I have the census and WW I draft registration (which puts him as a student in  the National Guard).

Then on 22 Nov 1928 , he, his wife and 1 year old son return to San Francisco from the Philippines, where his son was born March 3, 1927.
He is a Captian in the Infantry.

1930 he is stationed at Ft Sheridan, IL.  In 1983 he lives in Orlando, FL.

Looks like his Military Duty in the Philippines was between 1920 Census and 1928 Passenger list showing he returned to San Francisco.
Sorry I couldn't find anything from the Philippines, but him being an Infantry Captain puts him probablly in an Infantry PS unit, if that will help.  Maybe someone can use my information to delve furthier into his time in the Philippines.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
wcscollect
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2010, 9:33am

Thanks Tom! That helps a lot. I beleive he my have returned to the Philippines after 1935. I have his complete PS uniform, boots to hat, and it has the pre WWII made felt PS patch on it with Lt. Col. rank which he did not receive until 1940 and his M1917A1 helmet which were issued in 1936. The 1948 officers register still had him as active but has no info on him after 1940. It only contains info concerning his WWI service and promotion dates. Is it possable he returned to the Philippines for a second tour of duty?? Thanks!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2010, 10:32am

You right about his returning to the Philippines lin the 30s.  I was thinking that as I put down what I found.   With his son, Michael, being born in 1927 in the Philippines, that was prbablly where he went ater he had married, unless he met his bride there.

Because of Japanese American relations were strained I was sure he returned to the Philippines as he was on active duty in the 1930s.

WW I Draft Registrations and Passenger Lists are a blrssing for researchers, as it gives additional family information.  If furture Passenger Lists can be found we can get dates of passage and family members that accoumpanied him.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2010, 1:55pm

Newspaper article tells of Colonel Winfield McKay being the Commaning Officer of Ft Devens, Mass.  This in the Lowell Sun on June 1, 1948.  Probably a search of the rosters of the 45th Inf (PS) and 57th Inf (PS) should show Col Winfield McKay, probaby in a lesser rank.

As it is evident he was there in the late 30s that would be a good time frame.  Also, Post War rosters.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
wcscollect
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2010, 4:33pm

Thanks Tom! That puts another piece in the puzzel. Are there any published rosters for these regiments for the time period 1935-1940?

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2010, 12:59pm

I am trying to get those rosters, but haven't found any.  Col Mel Rosen and Col John OLson are PS and might know of Col McKay and his involvement in the PS,  Maybe Chris can help out.  Right now I am battling two infections and am not able to run these down, but I wanted to set you on a path for more information.  I will be better in a few days.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print