Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seeking information re Julian Paras (Read 3417 times)
Bruinlad
YaBB Newbies

Seeking information re Julian Paras
Nov 19th, 2009, 3:56pm

This past Veterans Day, I decided to go on a crusade to find out once and for all, if my great grandpa was ever a member of the Phil Scouts. As a child I had vivid recollection of seeing a portrait of my great grandpa in full military uniform on the wall of the family home back in PI. The interesting thing is that he was wearing what appeared to  a US infantry uniform. The only information I have are based on stories told by my late grandmother (his daughter) how he was an enlisted soldier for the US most likely between 1912 - 1920 and was stationed in Camp McKinley. I was also told that his survivor (his second wife) was receiving pension from the US in US dollars after his passing. His name is Julian Paras and he was born 1897 and was married to Basilia Alfonzo on April 1914. Any information, leading to my great grandpa's military service record would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Seeking information re Julian Paras
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2009, 11:13am

Our organization would have no records shedding light on whether or not your great grandfather was a Philippine Scout.  The anecdotal evidence you cite does suggest he was.  

You might try approaching the VA concerning this.  They may have records going back far enough to include him.  Information on contacting the VA is available on our PSHS website.

Good luck with your search.

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2009, 9:23pm by Editor-at-Large »  

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2009, 3:43am

Hi Bruinlad,
I find only one  Julian Paras who was a Philippine Scout with three terms of  enlistment.
He was born abt 1881 at Ma_abebe   in Pampanga, PI.
He had brown eyes, black hair, a light brown complexion, and his height was between 5'4" to 5'6 1/2 "
23 Oct 1901 he was enlisted at Aryat, PI,  by __ Collins. His age was 20 years 5 months.  He was a laborer. He enlisted for 3 years.
Oct 3, 1905 age 24 6/12, capt Bookmiller signed him up for 3 years
Oct 3, 1908, at  27 years and 6 months, he  re-enlisted at (Boas_ ) PI, by Capt De Court, for a period of 3 years

Discharged Oct 2, 1911 at Camp Avery, PI
excellent service; a pvt; very good h&f

Register of Enlistments in the U.S. Army, 1798-1914
(found in the National Archives Microfilm Publication M233, 81 rolls,)
Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1780’s-1917, Record Group 94 National Archives, Washington, D.C. and is available on-line at ancestry.com, a  genealogy site that a few of us subscribe to.

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Bruinlad
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2011, 2:21am

First off, thank you so much for the wealth of information you posted. I believe this is indeed my great grandpa since he was born in the place mentioned which happens to be where most of the enlisted Philippine Scouts were from. I thought for a while I was hitting sort of a dead and was about to give up when my girlfriend for whatever reason decided to revisit the subject and found your post. Once again, thank you so much and I will keep you folks posted on any developments!!!

I wish everyone a wonderful Memorial Day weekend Smiley

God Bless!
Henry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print