Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scout vehicle markings (Read 9196 times)
Chris_Schaefer
YaBB Administrator

Texas
Scout vehicle markings
Sep 30th, 2009, 1:07pm

Would anyone have, or know a resource for, the markings used on Philippine Scout vehicles? I am particularly interested in the M-1 White Scout cars used to patrol Luzon before the war, and the Canadian Bren gun carriers used on Bataan.

My chief interest is that Iím a scale modeler, and my interest there is vehicles that served in the Philippines so any and all help is very much appreciated. †I know itís kind of a narrow field, but then one of the places I grew up as a Military Brat was the Philippines so itís kind of my home town.

Salamat Po,
Bob Durham
Tallahassee Fl.

WWW   IP Logged
Chris_Schaefer
YaBB Administrator

Texas
Re: Scout vehicle markings
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2009, 1:21pm

Here are pictures of some of the 26th Cavalry's scout cars. Aside from serial numbers they didn't seem to have any other markings, particularly the white American star which may †have come later in the war.

Not sure if the bren gun carriers would have "PS" markings at all since they were really enroute to the British and were stranded in Manila and appropriated by the USAFFE.

I hope that helps. --victor verano

prewar45.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Chris_Schaefer
YaBB Administrator

Texas
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2009, 1:29pm

Here is another

prewar47.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Chris_Schaefer
YaBB Administrator

Texas
Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2009, 1:31pm

And a third.

prewar46.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Chris_Schaefer
YaBB Administrator

Texas
Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2009, 1:35pm

Log on: LifeMagazine.com
Search: ww2luzonmilitaryvehicles

Lot of pics about military vehicles.

Or
Log on: G503.com
Go to Forum

Alvin Alfonso

WWW   IP Logged
Chris_Schaefer
YaBB Administrator

Texas
Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2009, 1:37pm

I don't recall any scout car painted white. †I think they were all olive drab including the bren gun carriers which Lt. Carruso convoyed from Manila to Bataan during the war. †Captain Parazo knew them too well because he was with them. †- Felipe Fernandez.

WWW   IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2009, 6:07am

There is a strong Bataan/Corregidor re-enactors association in the Philippines and I have somewhere the websites for two of the guys involved.  There are even pics of the vehicles, and a museum in Luzon with many of them.  I will try to find them and forward names and e-mails.
Sadly, my cousin who has all the pictures and awards of my G. Uncles' time with the 26th (albiet late 20's and early 30's) has dropped off the planet.......somewhere in Florida.

Best -

Peter C. Olsen

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print