Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scout Information Needed (Read 6482 times)
normjil
YaBB Newbies

Scout Information Needed
Sep 07th, 2009, 9:11pm

I need help determining status of my Grandfather as a Philippine Scout. If he was at all.
His name was Pedro Razon. My grandmother received US Survivor Pension after the war in US dollars and NOT from the Philippine Government. His unit was M Co. 3rd BN 23 Infantry.(I know it was 23rd something) Any Info can be of help. He died at Batan after escaping the Death March he contracted Malaria. I think I heard her say they found him floating in the Pampanga River bearly alive.She died 3 years ago. Thanks fro your great site! you can also Contact me  normjil@hotmail.com

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Scout Information Needed
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2009, 11:05am

I've found no 23rd Infantry in either the U.S. or Philippine Army units fighting on Bataan.  There was a 23rd Field Artillery (PS) regiment.  

Information on contacting the Veterans Administration is available on our PSHS website.  Although some WWII records are incomplete due to a warehouse fire several decades ago, the VA might be able to assist you in your search.

Good luck with your search.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
normjil
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2009, 11:15am

Sir thank you so much for your reply!

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2009, 12:48pm

HI and welcome.
Do you have a little more information I can use to find the "right"  Pedro Razon?
birth date & location
Names of his mother, father, wife, brothers, sisters may help
Do you know if he lived in the US before the war at any time?

Here is what turns up when I use only the name:
Pedro Razon enlisted Dec 10, 1904 at Toledo, PI, by Lt Wilson for a period of 3 years
born at Dumanjing (??) PI  (can not decipher handwriting)
occupation butcher
Age  25 5/12  
5'7" tall - brown eyes - black hair - light brown complexion
OO (??) = 37  
discharged Oct 1905, at Camp Connell, Samar, PI  
SO 218, Phil Div -  1905 a pvt  -  Very good.

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2009, 4:13pm

Hi,

I got interested and did some research and the 23rd Infantry was in the Philippines around 1900.  3 times and could be the unit that Pedro enlisted in.  1892-1901, when it was sent during the Spanish-American War.  1903-1905, it was sent again to fight the Moros, and this was when they fought at Datto Ali.  Last time they went back was 1908-1910.  When the returned to the US they were stationed at Texas City and became part of the 2nd Infantry Division.

I had no luck getting anything on Pedro Razon, but in putting only the last name Razon I got 3 individuals, probably relatives.  

Inocencio Razon, born in 1917 in the Philippines and enlisted March 26, 1941 as a Pvt in the Coast Artillery.  His component of the Army was Philippine Scouts and he was single with no dependents.  The next 2 are 'Nedw Scouts' enlisted after WW II.

Ponciano Razon, born in 1922 in the Philippines.  His Residence: State is Montana, Limited Service or Philippine Island  Residence:  Country is Undefined Code.  Same for Place of Enlistment.  Enlistment date is August 10, 1946.  Term of Enlistment is for Hawaiian Depertment.  He is a Hatchery Man, Single without Dependents.  Component of the Army is Philippine Scouts (New Scouts)

Benjamin Razon, born in 1921 in the Philippines.  Place of enlistment is Sidney, Montana (but he probably was never out of PI).  Date of Enlistment is August 24, 1946, Term of Enlistment is for the Hawaiian Department..  He is skilled in the making of confections.  Siingle withour dependents.  Component of the Army is The Philippine Scouts.

I am sure Pedro would have been enlisted in the 23rd Regiment as it saw PI duty at the time Pedro was in the service, around 1904.  The 23rd was in PI, fighting the Moros.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
normjil
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2009, 6:46pm

Tom...I want to thank you soo much for your time. I had my Grandmother recite to me the only information she had on my grandfather. 1. he died on Batan 2. she derived US dollars in surivor benefits after the war as she was living in the P.I. until she came to the US in the 60'. his unit was M.Co 3rd BN 23. ...this is the mystery. An eariler post stated that the 23 Infantry PI was not in Batan...so was he in the 23 Field Artillery Regiment P.Scouts? did the 23 FA have a M Co 3rd BN? She and I never got her Pension information. He died during the DEATH MARCH. Thanks again for your help..God bless you sir!
Norman Carolino. Esq.

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2009, 7:59pm

Thought I would take another crack at this.  We have some conflicting information.  Being on the Bataan Death March and being in the 23rd US Inf Reg couldn't happen.  That is because the 23rd was in the PI around 1900 (3 times exactly).  The information Sue had on Pedro Razon fits in with my information on the 23rd, as it was stationed in PI between 1898 and 1910.  

I then looked at the units involved at the start of WW II and I come up with 23rd FA (PS) but Artillery Units don't have an M Company,     3 rd Battalion.  But there was a 43rd Infantry (PS) and they would have had an M Company, 3rd Battalion.  So maybe this is your unit.  You can look at its locations during the fighting and if Pedro Razon was in those areas, this is probably his unit.

If any records are available for him they would identify what units he was with.  There was a Pedro Razon in the 23rd, lets say this is him.  He is 25 years old, comes back in to fight in WW II.  He would have been 62 doing the Death March.  So it could have been him.  I don't know how agile a 62 year old man would be in escaping the Death March.  I think we have two Pedros.  Any help?

Or his unit was the 43rd Inf (PS).

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
normjil
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2009, 8:24pm

Sir I am eternally greatful for ALL of you help. I will take what you gave me and do some looking around. You are a great person to take your time help my family. We are proud of our Grandfathers service to the US. I am now an Attorney in the US.. my family came here in the 60's. In college  I had joined Army ROTC. Since I was not yet an American citizen..I could not derive a monthly salary like the other cadets...my Major then asked me in private why I did what I was doing for free..I answered without any hesitation...My grandfathe died for this country and I want to pay back what this country has done for my family...I saw an Airborne Ranger Silver Star Major tear up. Thanks again...and God Bless...

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2009, 11:16am

I am retired Federal Government and this keeps me out of the bars, gives me somethhing to do.  No, all kidding aside I like it and it is fun.  My wife thinks I should do something else, I ask her, "What?"  I ride my bycicle in the afternoon, when it is cool.  I want to get back into reloading ammunition for my rifle, been awhile and it is fun to shot at a target.  I qualified expert with the M14.  I was in Gemany and part of NATO.  Our host nation was Germany and for rifle qualification we used their range.  KNOWN DISTANCE not the pot up targets of TRAINFIRE, which the US Army was using then (!961-1964).

I was at home and scored Expert, which I never did with the Pop Up targets.

Thanks for all the kind words.

No, this research is fun and I like to do.  Run into interesting people, like yourself.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
Grandaughter Noland
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2009, 6:17pm

Mr. Norman Carolino,
I just want you to know that your words from your September 19th Post were inspiring. There are people who wouldnt walk across the street for someone unless they were getting paid. THANK YOU! My Grandfather was in the 43rd Infantry in the Philippines during WWII and I was wondering if you ever solved the mystery?  
Rachel Lockert (grandaughter of James T. Noland)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print