Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Civilians at Santo Tomas Internment camp... (Read 14734 times)
7thD
YaBB Newbies

So Cal
Civilians at Santo Tomas Internment camp...
Sep 5th, 2009, 7:27pm

I am seeking any additional information available on my great aunt Miss Gladys Ketchum who was kept at the Santo Tomas Internment camp after the takeover of the Philippines.

Gladys was one of my grandmotherís younger sisters who as an adult was living in the Philippines with her brother Maj. Hubert W. Ketchum. Hubert was assigned to the 26th Cavalry (PS) and KIA/MIA during one of the initial invasion firefights at Binalonan the 24th of Dec 41.

I believe Gladys was taken with many other captured civilians & troops to the Santo Tomas internment camp, and held there several years before being released by Allied forces and returning to her home state of Calif after the war.

If anyone knew Gladys or stayed with or around her at Santo Tomas during this time, any feedback or photos would be greatly appreciated.

Our family is very interested in learning as much as possible how the civilians were treated, the routes they may have traveled on their way to the camps, conditions during transit and while there, relationships developed during their stay in very challenging times, any recommended books or writings on the subject, etc.

I was fortunate to have been able to spend some time with Gladys during my youth in the late 60's doing the normal things in life after her return, and through the years. I was pretty young at the time so I didnít have enough knowledge or understanding to ask the right questions or remember much regarding this important segment of history, and both her and Hubert's involvement.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and understanding!

Best Regards,

Scott Fisher †

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2010, 5:56pm by 7thD »  
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Civilians at Santo Tomas Internment camp...
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2009, 12:02pm

Scott,

There is quite a bit of info on your great aunt Miss Gladys Ketchum and it is with her brother Lt Col Hubert W. Ketchum.  I noticed where Lt Col Ketchum has an entry under Scouts.

Steven's book Santo Tomas Internment Camp (my bible) has Miss Gladys as being at Los Banos, not STIC.  While Stevens has her at Los Banos, to which she went when it was opended, her POW record list her at STIC with a report date of Jan 9, 1943.

Her brother, Hubert's WWII and Korean Conflict Veterans Interred Overseas record lists him as Missing as of 24 Dec 1941, he has the rank of Lt Col in the 26th US Cav, with the US Awards of Purple Heart, Silver Star, and Legion of Merit.  He is listed on the Monument at Ft William McKinley, Manila, The Philippines.

Gladys WWII POW Record lists her latest Report Date as 9 Jan 1943 so maybe she was in Manila befor 9 Jan 1943.  Now we have Passenger Lists, from sailing on ships, information can be gained from Pass Lists (address of where coming from and going to, birth dates, who they were with on the ship).  Gladys was traveling with Byanna McClure when she sailed back to the US on Oct 11. 1945 (both list the same San Francisco address as their US Address).  In the Stevens book only one Ketchum, Gladys, and two McClures, Carl Hamlin and Ryanna.  So they were probably all friends.  Gladys was born in Junction City, Kansas on 2 Jul 1908, Ryanna, Daguapan Pang, PI on 18 Apr 1917.  (I ran across a Pvt in the US Army enlisting from Texas on 6 Jun 1944, Gladys M Ketchum, don't know the relationship).

Carl Hamlin is the father of Ryanna (1920 Census-Soap Creek, Oregon).  We have a Dell McClure and Edward McClure families also involved.  But Ryanna is the daughter of Carlin.  I will include of other two just for information.  Edward lists a San Francisco address Dell is in the 1920  Census of Linn, Oregon-his nieces and nephews are all born in PI.  Carlin and family sailed to San Franciso 30 Oct 1919.  They all list Albany, Oregon as their US address.

I hope I don't list any of these twice, bear with me, please.  I am going to list what I have on Lt Col Ketchum.  1910  Census has Hubert and family at Ft Riley, Kansas.  5 Daughters and 1 son.  Gladys and Hubert are together in the family.  Hubert Sr is a Cav Officer born in 1871 or 1875 in Iowa.Gladys was born in Kansas in 1908.  Husbert Jr was born in Cuba in 1901.  The 1900 Census has Hubert Sr, 29 years old, stationed at Columbia Barracks, Cuba.  He was born in Iowa and is a Corporal.  20 Jul 1925 Hubert Jr sails from France to New York.  He lists a San Francisco Address as his US home.

Carlin H. McClure dies on 11 Jan 1942, have to check when he went to STIC as he might have died before internment.  Carlin H. and Ryanna McClure are the only McClures listed and they are put at Los Banos.  Gladys is the only Ketchum listed as she is listed also at Los Banos.

I would say it is safe to assume that Gladys and Ryanna were very close during the Internment.  The listings are alphabetical and the Names Ketchum and McClure are on one page so it is safe to assume they were grouped together and maybe that was how they became acquainted.  Hope this adds to your information on your great aunt Gladys.

Regards.

Thomas McGeeney      ord510@yahoo.com

Tom
  IP Logged
7thD
YaBB Newbies

So Cal
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2009, 4:59pm

Hi Thomas,

It was a pleasure hearing from you thank you for your time & effort to post!

This is very valuable family info and historical data and we'll add it to what we have currently on Gladys & Hubert's time there, and will attempt to follow up on your recommended readings of the internment period at the different camps.

Thanks again for all of the additional new info.

Best Regards,

Scott Fisher

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2009, 12:23pm

Scott,

There were records on both Gladys and her brother, Hubert so we both lucked out.  Many the time I have done this research and very little is available.  I search both NARA,aad and Ancestry.com.  NARA, aad is free, just go to the NARA, aad web site and off you go.  Ancestry costs.  

When one sails on a ship there is good information.  What address they are going to and birthdates. Birthdates are iimportant as a name might belong to several people, but a birthdate eliminates the ones you aren't interested.  Doing research, like I am, on the Philippines there is always a boat needed to get there and back.  WW II this applied, but the airplane was coming in and after WW II I have had airplane flights, don't think they put the info that was on the ships lists.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
Rainbow Trout †aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2009, 3:12pm

Please pardon my lateness in checking the Board. †
There are four places to begin:

1. here on the Scout's site.

For civilians and military POW nurses:

2. The Santo Tomas (STIC) site created and hosted by Tom Moore
http://www.cnac.org/emilscott/santotomas01.htm
has the largest group of former Santo Tomas internees who are emailers and can help. The web master will send your request to the List. You can write a web page for your family, if you'd like to.

3. the American ex Prisoners of War http://www.axpow.org/, specifically the BACEPOW Chapter †(Bay Area Civilian exPOW)
Angus Lorenzen
15 Diamonte Ln.
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275
310-519-8648

4. the Descendant's group from the American Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor, http://www.west-point.org/family/adbc/
They got me started, then I landed on the Scouts, and the STIC site

Good defenders site http://philippine-defenders.lib.wv.us/
Smiley

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
7thD
YaBB Newbies

So Cal
Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2010, 9:08pm

Re: General Wainwrights Book

Just recently in June 2010 I received a copy of the book titled General Wainwrightís Story pulled from distant family storage, and finished reading it for the first time. I found it to be a well written, comprehensive, detailed, and extremely saddening account of the hardships of the Generalís command, and his capture while stationed in the Philippines defending the country.

This copy was signed by General Wainwright, and has some notes on the first page from my great aunt, Gladys Ketchum, written to her sister (my grandmother) when given to her as a gift upon Gladysís return after her internment at Santo Thomas/Los Banos.

Gladysís notes are signed and dated 1946, so this has been with our family since that time. Both Gladys and Hubert are mentioned in the Generalís book, so it is even more of an historical account and very interesting reading for us.

Once again I would like to thank the Philippine Scouts Historical Society, and everyone that brought forward additional information and accounts of the Ketchums during the Philippine Island campaign.

The additional detailed information presented, and accounts from members actually there with them during this time so long ago is no less than amazing, and would not have been possible without the Historical Society and efforts of its members Ė thank you very much!

Best Regards,
Scott Fisher †

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2010, 5:59pm by 7thD »  
  IP Logged
frank

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2010, 8:20pm

http://www.lbfilamevents.org/oct-16-book-talk.html

Angus Lorenzen, at age 7, fled Japanese-occupied North China with his sister and mother, just days before the attack on Pearl Harbor, only to be captured in Manila and held in Santo Tomas Internment Camp for more than three years. The Santo Tomas Internment Camp was liberated when Angus was l0, and the internees were caught in the middle of the Battle of Manila.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print