Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Last U.S. Horse Cavalry Charge--26th Cav (PS) (Read 20687 times)
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Last U.S. Horse Cavalry Charge--26th Cav (PS)
Sep 4th, 2009, 4:31pm

The following message has been removed from a thread concerning Major Ketchum and given its own topic.  Editor

Dear Editor - Is there any chance you could ask Felipe or contact him to see what he remembers about Troops E & F Last Cavalry Charge??  I am sill trying to put names together on who went (Col Ramsey bless his heart, only remembers one name).  I am doing this in order to try and regain initiative and place a memorial there in Moron.

It's so great to hear from another 26th Scout - my Great Uncle commanded B troop in the late 20's and early 30's.  Lt. Col. Alexander G. Olsen.

Thanks -

Peter Olsen

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2009, 4:23pm by Editor-at-Large »  
petrao57   IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: 26th Cavalry (PS), Troops E & F
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2009, 9:17am

Captain John Z. Wheeler was the combined Troop Commander and his orderly was Pfc Alberto Lazo

Sgt. Fedil Tolentino from Troop "F" was I believe the Platoon Sergeant of First Platoon

At the Command Post were First Sergeants Leon Amigable and Juan Belgera; Troop Clerks were Sergeants Felipe A. Fernandez and Eligio Garbin.acting as messengers.

There were officers and the only one whose name I could remember was Major James C. Blanning.

The morning after the charge 1st.Sgt. Amigable called on the men for an after action report and the men who have something to say were to my recollection,  Pfc, Gregorio Salangsang, Privates  Quirino Cristobal, and Marceleno Dumaoal.

Private Pedro Euperio was the point of the advance guard but he was absent in the after action briefing  because he was hospitalized due to his wounds.  He was recommended for an award of the Distinguished Service Cross & Purple Heart.

As I have said i have to replay the action in my mind and this is all I could remember just now.  I hope this will help.  - Felipe

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2009, 2:59pm

Amigable was a lst Sgt of Troop "E". You see the day after the charge, Captain Wheeler together with Lt. Ramsey were hospitalized  for their wounds so the First Sergeant of Troop "E" called for an after action report to be noted on the Historical portion of the Morning report which  as a Troop Clerk  I had  to put in record.   First Sergeant Belgera of Troop "F" with a detail of some soldiers were  left in Morong to guard the horses over night. The further I think about the action the more it become vivid to me.  - Felipe

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2009, 5:35pm

Dear Felipe:  Thanks so much for your responses - these are 4 more names than I had before!  I am so grateful.  So here is what I have now for the "Last US Cavalry Charge"

Lt. Edwin Ramsey, G Troop Adj. (Exec. Off.)
Staff Sgt Severo Masangcay, F Troop (d. 18 Feb, MIA Silver Star)
1st Sgt. Juan C. Bilcera, F Troop
Sgt. Fidel Tolentino (d. 4 Jul, 1942, MIA)
Pfc Gregorio Salangsang, E Troop
Pvt Quirino B. Cristobal, E Troop
Pvt Marceleno D. Dumaoa, E Troop
Pvt Pedro Euperio, E Troop (DSC)

I have now gone from 2 names to 8!!  I have been told by various sources that the number was between 7 and 14 men.

I'm not sure from your messages whether or not to add
1st Sgt. Leon Amigable (d. May 27, 1942).

I'm also not sure if Lt. Ramsey is called the Executive Officer or the Adjutant.  I will e-mail him and see if he responds.

Col. John Olson gave me a partial list of the "Listing of Deceased Scouts - WWII" when we were at the last American Defenders of B&C reunioin in San Antonio in May.  Would you, or do you know of anyone who might have the complete list.  All I have is from letter G to letter Y.

One last question:  I have been earching in vain for any mention or knowledge of the 4 Phil. Scouts and Army enlisted that went MIA with my Great Uncle from Corrregidor (or perhaps getting to Corregidor after April 9..).  Do you have any info on the following four men?

Laradan, Filotee Y.  Pvt.  #10 302 466
Pardinas, Restitute Pvt. Phil. Scouts, #6 611 609
Samson, Salvador, Pvt. 57th Regt. Phil. Scouts  #10 301 316
Sara, Manual G. Pvt. 24th F.A. Regt. Phil. Scouts, #10 306 267

I have turned up nothing at any NARA/Army/etc. sites, only their citations on the wall of the Missing from the ABMC website.

Sincerely -

Peter Olsen

petrao57   IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2009, 2:12pm

Dear Editor:  I apologize for breaking in on another topic - I'm not real savvy with this board.  I won't do it again - promise!

Is there any chance you can rename the topic of this thread to:
"The Last U.S. Horse Cavalry Charge"?  It might generate more interest and readers? Wink

Thanks -
Peter Olsen
rel. of Lt. Col. Alexander G. Olsen, US Cavalry (26th, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 9th).

petrao57   IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Re: Last U.S. Horse Cavalry Charge--26th Cav (PS)
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2009, 6:59pm

Thank you - that was quick work!  My humble regards.

I received a very informative e-mail from Cpl. (now Lt. Ret.) Felipe Fernandez on corrections to this list.  Here it is in entirety.  I will now fix names and remove S.Sgt Masangcay and Belgera.  Does anyone have the full "Listing of Deceased Phil Scouts - WWII"?  It would help with developing the list if I had more than just names from G to Z which I got from Col. John Olson.

From Felipe:

Corrections:

Staff Sergeant Severo Masangcay did not participate in the charge.  1st Sgt. Belgera not Bilcera.  He was the first sergeant of Troop "F" and was with us at the Command Post.  Pvt Marcelino Dumaoal not Dumaoa.

First Sergeant Leon Amigable was the First Sergeant of Troop "E" and First Sergeant Juan C. Belgera was the First Sergeant of Troop "F".  On January 1, 1942 the Regiment was reorganized due to many loses in men. Troop "E" and "F" were combined which explains the two First Sergeants. Captain John Z. Wheeler of Troop "E" out ranked Captain Paul H. Winkler of Troop "F" for which reason Captain Wheeler was in command  and so 1st Sgt Amigable was the official First Sergeant of the combined Troop. Both First Sergeants were with us at the Command Post.  After Morong was recaptured and the abbreviated Squadron withdrew to its original Bivouac Area in Bagac, it was necessary to leave a few horses and 1st Sgt. Belgera with a few detail was left to guard the horses.

I don't think S/Sgt Masangcay participated in the charge.  He was killed at the battle in Tiis river, a part of the Toul Campaign.  After Morong, Captain Winkler took over the command of the troop because Capt Wheeler was hospitalized for wounds. Major James C. Blanning who is now the Squadron Commander was sent to check the report that enemy infiltrators were seen at the Tiis river. Major Blanning and Captain Winkler went to clean them out.   Captain Winkler, was killed by a sniper and S/Sgt Masangcay, who was with him, immediately rushed to his aid and was also killed by the same sniper.

I was able to bring my platoon to Corrigidor but the names you mentioned were not with me.  I am very sorry that I could not furnish you more. - Felipe

Here is the new revised listing:

1st Lt. Edwin Ramsey, G Troop Adj.
Sgt. Fidel Tolentino (d. 4 Jul, 1942, MIA)
Pfc Gregorio Salangsang, E Troop
Pvt Quirino B. Cristobal, E Troop
Pvt Marceleno D.. Dumaoal, E Troop
Pvt Pedro Euperio, E Troop (DSC)

It's back down to 6 names.  Seems a little small?  Another 1st Lt. in the 26th died that day - I wonder but hesitate to add him: 1st Lt. Stephen Graves, U.S. A.R. (d. 1-16-42) Silver Star - who had barely joined the Troop after Jan. 10th, 1942.  Of course he could have been killed with Maj. Wheelers' ground assault that followed after Lt. Ramseys' horse charge that day.  I also think Lt. Ramsey would have remembered him if he were there too?

Peter Olsen

petrao57   IP Logged
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2009, 3:28pm

I believe Mr. Dan Figuracion of the Tacoma Chapter was part of the charge. He would be "Pvt. Dominador Figuracion" in the rosters.

Victor

IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2009, 7:26pm

Dear Victor:  Thank you so much for the reply.  Do you know how I might contact the Tacoma Chapter?  I am only 2 hours from there, and I would dearly appreciate being able to meet some of the men?  I have never heard of them, nor seen reference to them - is there an on-line address?  Or a postal address?

This is such good news, as it 'might' mean that we have 7 of the eight names.  Only one man missing! Angry

Peter Olsen

petrao57   IP Logged
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2009, 9:18pm

Hello Peter,
Try to contact Joe Calugas, Jr of the Tacoma Chapter. He should have the contact information for Mr. Dan Figuracion. It should be in this link:

http://www.philippine-scouts.org/heritage-society/contact-us.html

By the way, these may aid you as a reference. These are the rosters of E and F as saved by Mr. Felipe Fernandez -- him being the troop clerk:

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2009, 8:23am

The president of the Tacoma Chapter, also know as the Capt. Jose Calugas, Sr. Chapter, is Jose Calugas, Jr. whose email address is calugasjr@aol.com.  His father, the chapter's namesake, was one of three Philippine Scouts awarded a Medal of Honor in the defense of Bataan.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2009, 4:48pm

Thank you both for the info - yes I have the December Roster - sadly, by Jan 15th 42' many of these were gone.  

Beg pardon if I have asked this already, but does anyone have the full listing titled "Listing of Deceased Phil Scouts - WWII"?  I only have (from John Olson) from Gonzales to Zoumang.  It would help pare the roster down more to have it all.

Peter

Well - as soon as the truck is fixed I am on my way to Tacoma!

petrao57   IP Logged
Samanthaschwandt
YaBB Newbies

USA, MI
Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2013, 7:35am

My Grandfather is Louis Rogan of troop E of the 26th Calvary, I have looked threw all the threads to insure he hasn't been listed. I was born in the US but I was told that I have aunts and uncle that I do not know by him. I know that he was in Olongapo, married to Emilia Onesa in the 50's and had a daughter born in 52 (my mother) he had children born before that also, due to my mother telling me she had older sibling from him. I am looking for any and all info I can get on him or any of his surviving kin. If you have any info you can email me at samantha_s_s @yahoo.com

IP Logged
Robersabel
YaBB Newbies

Arizona
Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2014, 6:08pm

Interested in any material regarding PFC Alfredo Tirante, serial number 06 739 385.  Assigned to F Troop when KIA.  Unknown date he lost his life and internment location.

Robert
Robersabel@aol.com

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2014, 11:41am by Robersabel »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print