Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seeking info on Maj. Hubert W. Ketchum 26th Cav (Read 5324 times)
7thD
YaBB Newbies

So Cal
Seeking info on Maj. Hubert W. Ketchum 26th Cav
Aug 17th, 2009, 7:32pm

I am looking for any additional information anyone may be able to provide on Maj (LTC) Hubert W. Ketchum of the 26th Cavalry (PS).

Hubert was stationed and his sister Gladys Ketchum was visiting/living in the PIs at the time of the initial invasion during the beginning of WWII.

They were part of a large family and my grandmothers brother & sister from the No. Calif. area, and I've had the opportunity to spend time with Gladys many times in my youth. She did relay a few stories of her time there with Hubert but I didn't really file too much away in memory as I was so young at the time.

I was able to learn the history of Hubert's Cav unit the 26th (PS), position & rank, West Point class, grad date & class picture, US Army awards, KIA/MIA status on the 24th of Dec 41, MIA memorial listing loc, etc.

Any additional information available or potential photo's from anyone who may have known the Ketchums during this time would be greatly appreciated by our family.

Best Regards,

Scott Fisher

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2010, 11:14pm by 7thD »  
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Seeking additional info on Maj Hubert W. Ketchum
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2009, 2:09pm

I know Major Ketchum who was the commanding officer of the 1st Squadron in the early stages of the war.  I could not furnish you first  hand information about him but I could tell you, from my recollection, that during the firefight in Binalonan, he was on the right of the regiment's firing line. He with a Lieutenant and 2 artillery pieces were engaged in a firefight with a group of enemy tanks massed in front of his Squadron.  After the firefight we never heard of them again even though efforts were made to wait for them before the regiment was withdrawn to Tayug.

During this time, I was a troop clerk and a Machine Gun Platoon leader of Troop E.  When we reached Tayug, as a Troop Clerk, I accompanied my Troop Commander, Capt John Z. Wheeler to an after action briefing from where I heard of the information. According to the briefing, we lost Major Ketchum, Lts. Vanderlester, Bowers, Mark and many enlisted men. - Felipe

Capt. Felipe Fernandez is a retired 26th Cavalry (PS) trooper.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
7thD
YaBB Newbies

So Cal
Re: Seeking additional info on Maj Hubert W. Ketchum
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2009, 8:35pm

Hi Felipe,

I hope you are well and it was a pleasure hearing from you and surprising to have received such a detailed account from someone who was actually involved in the surrounding battle.

Thank you very much for your time and effort!

Best,

Scott Fisher

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Felipe
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2009, 9:04am

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Seeking additional data on Maj. Hubert W. Ketchum
Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2009, 12:09pm

Hello,

Lt Col Hubert Ketchem had a sister, Gladys Ketchum, and I listed what information I had on both Hubert and Gladys in the General Section of this Message board, under Civilians at STIC.  Lot of good information on Lt Col Kethchum there.

Regards,

Thomas McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
7thD
YaBB Newbies

So Cal
Re: Seeking info on Maj. Hubert W. Ketchum 26th Cav
Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2010, 8:26pm

Re: General Wainwrights Book

Just recently in June 2010 I received a copy of the book titled General Wainwright’s Story pulled from distant family storage, and finished reading it for the first time. I found it to be a well written, comprehensive, detailed, and extremely saddening account of the hardships of the General’s command, and his capture while stationed in the Philippines defending the country.

This copy was signed by General Wainwright, and has some notes on the first page from my great aunt, Gladys Ketchum, written to her sister (my grandmother) when given to her as a gift upon Gladys’s return after her internment at Santo Thomas/Los Banos.

Gladys’s notes are signed and dated 1946, so this has been with our family since that time. Both Gladys and Hubert are mentioned in the General’s book, so it is even more of an historical account and very interesting reading for us.

Once again I would like to thank the Philippine Scouts Historical Society, and everyone that brought forward additional information and accounts of the Ketchums during the Philippine Island campaign.

The additional detailed information presented, and accounts from members actually there with them during this time so long ago is no less than amazing, and would not have been possible without the Historical Society and efforts of its members – thank you very much!

Best Regards,
Scott Fisher  

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2010, 5:50pm by 7thD »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print