Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
looking for information (Read 5774 times)
john george
YaBB Newbies

looking for information
Jun 24th, 2009, 9:25pm

Hello.. I am lloking for any information about my second cousin Lt. john A. George who was a Philippine Scout and was declared missing in action in 1942..I was born in 1943 and was named after him..I would love to vist manila..and vist his grave marker...I can't accept the idea that everybody has forgotten about him..he has no surviving other mebers of his family...I mention to my wife and daughter that i want to visit manila to view his marker...they think i am silly..but his memory and his sacrifice can't die..i have his commemrative plague that was issed to the family when he was declared missing in Action back in 1942......I would love to obtain his army records so i can learn more about him....it would be wonderful if there is a survivor from 26th Calvary who remembers him...any comments information support would be greatley apreciated..my email address is victorjgeorge@comcast.net

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: looking for information
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2009, 3:29pm

Information on contacting the Veterans Administration is available on our PSHS website.  As a second cousin, you may not be a close enough relative to obtain his military records; however, there is no harm in trying.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2009, 9:58pm

Victor,

Others might be interested in my answer, too.  I got Personell Recorrds for a soldier I wasn't related to.  This soldier was an actor who worked for my grandfather after WW I.  He had no heirs and only a brother and half brother.  I explained when I applied for his military records that I was writing a history of this actor and he had worked for my grandfather after WW I.  I got what military records they could send.  His last pay in the US Army after WW I.  

Remember in the 1970s a huge fire wiped out lots of Army records and they they are missing a bunch.  Whether you records fall in that group I don't know. But Go For It and you will probably get some records if they are available.

Oh, that actor that worked for my grandfather was Karl Hackett.  Chuck Jones has a web site on him, lots of my grandfather's photo of Karl are there.  Compare the Matinee Idol when he worked for my grandfather with the later photos.  Lots of mileage.  But he was a great actor and I am convinced that alcohol knocked him out of the top place.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2009, 10:26pm

Victor,

Here are some mote information.  Col Edwin Ramsey, of the 26th Cavalry is alive and has a web site.  You might address questions on Lt John A. George to him.  

Col Ramsey and his charming wife both were at the Philippine Scout Reunion held in Long Beach, CA last month.  I was there and talked with them both.  Col Ramsey and I have a mutual friend, Amb John Rocha.  If Col Ramsey remembers your relative I am sure his information will help you out.

Regards

Thomas McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2009, 10:51am

John,

I better call you by your right name.  I guess you knew about the Newby family having John A George listed.  Gives his wedding date and the spouse's name.  If I knew where Lt George was born it would help out linking him and his family up through the census.  I have him married in Harvey County, Kansas and maybe they have his wedding license.  My father's family settle in Newton, KS when they arrived from Ireland in the 1880s.  Their town in Ireland was Newton-Stuart and I don't know if they picket out a US city by the Irish name of their town.  

Getting information about Lt George to put down so others can know him and what a sacrafice he made for his country is very important.  As the memory will always linger on after we have all gone.  There were hundreds of men like him, grabbed up and shoved in the Philippines to stop the Japs from fighting the US, taking the Phillippines.  But it was too late.  There are several books about the 26th Cavalry, Lt Ramsey's who I mentioned earlier.  Also Arthur K. Whitehead authored another one.  Its title "Odyssey Of A Philippine Scout"   I think Arthur was in Charge of A Troop and after fighting his command is wiped out and he takes off to excape.  The reason for the title being Odyssey.  He travels to the south seeking excape and I think he eventually reaches Australia.  Might have some mention of Lt George in it.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2009, 12:44pm

Hi, I think I can provide some info on your 2nd cousin - similar to my G. Uncles' (also once 26th Cav.) search I have done.  The ABMC.gov website has him listed as KIA Dec. 22, 1941.  Not MIA.  He received a Purple Heart (which you can apply for).  It does list him as 26th Cavalry.  He is on the tablets of the Missing in Manila (just as my G. Uncle).  My roster of the 26th dated Jan 10, 1942 does not list him.  I got a "Deceased Personnel of the 26th Cavalry" from Col. John E. Olson at the last ADBC COnvention in San Antonio in May, but sadly it is incomplete and only starts with names Gonzales".  I called and asked JOhn for the whole list, but he is 91 and so needs some help - what a great man.

I met a surviving member of the 26th at the reunion, who is hale, hearty and may be able to help you.  He is Pvt. Menandro B. Parazo (the only 26th member to come to the convention, sadly).  He was a private in the HQ and Service Troop.  I do not have contact info for him, but he and his family are very active in the groups, so perhaps someone will have contact info on him.  As was mentioned - Col. Edwin Ramsay may also remember him - e-mail me if you would like his e-mail address.  I am at petrao57@yahoo.com

Peter Olsen

PS:  There is no certainty he was with the 26th when he was killed, many US Army officers were detached out to Phillipine Army or Constabulary (like my g. Uncle Lt. Col. Alexander Olsen) troops as advisors.  Significantly, in the Legaspi battles in the south-east on Dec. 22, 1941, the 52nd Inf. Companies B & C attacked and routed the Kimura Detachment, inflicting heavy casualties and losing 15% casaulties.  (see http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/5-2/5-2_6.htm#p109).

petrao57   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print