Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Henry Kwan (Read 7078 times)
Chris_Schaefer
YaBB Administrator

Texas
Henry Kwan
Jan 23rd, 2009, 2:47pm

Can anyone help locate a possible Scout named Henry Kwan:

Recently I met a man named Henry Kwan while at Bethesda Medical Center.  He said that he had been part of the 12th Infantry Division (12th ID) and had survived the Death March.

I have no other information on him and if he is indeed a surviving member of the 12th ID, I would like to contact him to ensure that he has a support system (family) in the area.

MAJ Bob Evans
Secretary of the General Staff (SGS), ARNG
NGB-ARZ-DS
703-607-7021

WWW   IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Re: Henry Kwan
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2009, 11:42pm

The name Henry Kwan is not on the US Archives List: DRAFT ROSTERS OF POW'S SHOWING TRANSFERS FROM BILIBID PRISON TO OTHER CAMPS IN 1944      (from the battling bastards of battaan Website) - this does not mean he was never a prisoner or surrendered, because some records are missing.      Some Phillipine prisoners in the Scouts were quickly let go.  What was his rank and serial number, that would help?  remember, there was no law ever passed to give compensation or allow the Scouts to obtain US Serviceman benefits.

I don't know if there was a 12th Infantry Division either Phil. Scouts or regular US Army in 1941-1942.  There were however the 12th Quarter Master Reg't (PS), the 12th Medical Regt. (PS), 12th Signal Regt. (PS) and 12th QM Regt. (PS).      They were all in the Phillipine Division.      I would need to do further research to find out more.  There is a great book (if still available) here to purchase at this website by COl. John Olson, Phillipine Scouts[u][/u] that may help.  Here is a link to the US Army History Center that discusses the battles, and each of the units - you may find more there>

http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/5-2/5-2_Contents.htm#part2

Good luck and let me know if I can help.  I am in oontact with West Coast Phillipine Scout organizations.

Peter Olsen
pcolsen@verizon.net

petrao57   IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2009, 11:23am

Peter Olson,

Concerning what you wrote on the Unit Numbering, 12th Engineers, Quartermasters, I have read in books of the Philippine Division being listed as the 12 Infantry Division in the US Army.  As it has always been refered to as the Philippine Division US Army I figured it was an error, being called the 12th Infantry Div US Army.  Even when you see the Div Patch, it is always listed as the Philippine Division.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2009, 11:46am

Peter,

I have got some more information on Henry Kwan.  Enrique is the Spanish name for Henry and sure enough our boy was enlisted under Enrique Kwan.  I found a Feb 26, 1945 enlistment date.  He probably never left the Philippines but I have him with a Montana Residence.  I have run into a lot of enlistments of Filipinos into the US Army in 1945 being enlisted through Montana even thought the individual never left the Philippines.  But with Enrique he also has Portola, California has place of enlistment.  This is confusing.

He is a corporal in Field Artillery, born in the Philippines in 1918, a Filipino, not yet a US Citizen.

Hope this is some help, maybe you could research him as Enrique Kwan also, maybe be some additional information.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2009, 5:37pm

Hi Tom:  Thank you for all the valuable information on Enrique Kwan.  You sure have some access to resources that I don't!  I never heard of the Phillipine Division also being called the 12th Division.  The patch for the Phillipine Division was the Carabao, right?  

Since I am a 'newby' on this board, I am still learning a great deal.  My interest is from the years of searching I have been doing on my relative who was an officer posted with the 2nd Phillipine Constabulary during Bataan.  His mysterious end has yet to be solved.

I will post a message to the originator of this thread - Maj. Bob Evans - with these details unless you think otherwise??  Perhaps it might generate some goodwill to help getting a '293' file I have not been able to get (not a relative) which has details on my Uncles' death.  Could I ask where you got the enlistment information on Kwan?  It is a resource I don't have - was it Ancestry.com by chance?

Suffice it to say you answered Maj. Evans questions - he was not 'enlisted' at the time of the Death March.  I don't yet know the protocol here for dealing with these delicate matters of knowledge - I would not want any harm to come to a courageous elderly vet whether he was on Bataan or not.. Smiley

Regards -

Peter Olsen
Richland, WA

petrao57   IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2009, 6:58pm

Peter,

While Henry has a 1945 enlistment date, he could have been fighting as a guerrilla, unless it can be proven he was outside the Philippines during the fighting there.  I have run into Filipinos who never left the Islands, yet had enlistment records like Henry with stateside places of enlistment.  I am thinking he, like a lot of Filipinos, enlisted in the US Army in the early months of 1945.  Even tlhough he was always in the Philippines.  The Army ran a lot of these enlistments through Montana and the individual never left the Philippines.

Because the 70,000 man Filipino Army didn't have paper work (I understand a lot of 1st Sgts in the Filipino Army couldn't read or write), there is a very good chance Henry went through the Death March.  A lot of these 1945 enlistments saw duty in the occupation of Okinawa after the war.

NARA, aad, has WW II Records on POWs.  Ancestry.com has the same records but you have to pay.  Sometimes I get the record from both, generally though a record is gotten from only one of them.  I belong to Ancestry.com and use NARA, aad to keep Ancestry honest, so to speak.  My wife is from Mexico and my children went to school there when I had a house.  So they are bilingual.  When I saw Henry I thought he enlisted under Enrique (the Spanish name for Henry) and sure enough.

As far as determining who went through the Death March that is a tricky subject as there is no paperwork to verify it.  Because he enlisted in 1945 there is a very good reason to believe he fought before he enlished.  He was old enough.  From what I have heard they formed up the Filipino Army, everyone had to go, unless he had pull, then they made him an officer.

There were a group of Filipiinos that came from an island near Cebu and after the Surrender and their release (1942)they had no where to go.  Didn't speak the dialect and from what I read,l they were causing trouble and all they wanted was to go home.  I forget but I think the Japs could care less and it was the Guerrillas that enlisted who they could and got the rest home.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2009, 10:21pm

Hi I just want to add my 2 cents.

The Philippine Division was redesignated the 12th Infantry Division after the war when it was reactivated. Of course there were not enough old Scouts to fill in the ranks so the recruitment came from former guerrillas, other Bataan vets who not formerly Scouts, etc.

Victor

IP Logged
Anita
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2010, 3:07pm

Henry A. Kwan was a family friend of ours and I'm sorry to say he passed away on July 12, 2010 just a few days after his 92nd birthday on July 8th which was also his wedding anniversary.  His wife and some family are still living in the DC/MD/VA area.  The viewing was on Sunday July 18th.  Because of the backlog at Arlington, he will not be buried until Oct.26th at Arlington Cemetery.  There will be a funeral mass at St. Jude's Church in Rockville, Md at 12:00PM followed by interment with a full military ceremony at Arlington at 3:00PM.  Some details are available on the funeral home's website.  Just do a search on their website for Henry Kwan, or click on view all services.  You may want to call the funeral home, Hines Rinaldi Funeral Home on (301) 622-2290 as I don't know if the family put a notice in the newspaper (I live in PA) , but perhaps they can provide additional information.  The family had contacted my family so that some of us were able to attend the viewing in time.  Henry had joined the US Army and raised a family in Maryland.  He passed away at the National Naval Medical Center.

-- Anita Ghebeles

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print