Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Major Thomas B. Smothers (Read 28411 times)
Raleigh
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, Texas
Major Thomas B. Smothers
Jan 11th, 2009, 6:25am

Does anyone have any specific information on MAJ Thomas Smothers, father of the Smothers Brother's comedy team?  I believe he was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 45th IN (PS) and died enroute from Fukuoka, Japan to Pusan, Korea, 26 April, 1945.

Thanks,
Raleigh

WWW   IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Major Thomas B. Smothers
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2009, 4:47pm

According to several website sources, the Smothers brothers are the sons of Major Thomas Bolin Smothers, a West Point graduate and U.S. Army officer stationed in the Philippines who died either on a Hell Ship or in a prisoner of war camp in Japan during World War II.  

I've seen nothing more than this.

Newsletter Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2009, 7:39pm

Hello,

I noted quit a few Smothers in North Carolina so searched the "Hell Ships" and found an entry stating Major Thomas B Smothers, Jr died during the crossing to Pusan, Korea.  April 26, 1945 is the date of the entry about the death. and it also states that Major Smothers died during the crossing and it looks like the 26th was the date of the crossing.

All this is on "The Hell Ships Memorial, Book of Honor Tributes", testimony of Major Arthur C. Peterson, 60th C.A (AA).

Tom McGeeney     ord510@cox.net

Tom
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2009, 8:35pm

Caroline Burkhart, daughter of Thomas F. Burkhart of Hq. Co., 45th Inf Regt PS emailed me that Major Smothers took over as CO of the 3rd Bn., 45th PS after Major Dudley Strickland was killed in action in the Cave in the western coast of Bataan. There is a story that Caroline sent me about the plan to  evacuation  the 45th and 57th Regts to Corregidor a few hours before the surrender in Bataan. But our S-3 LtCol. Edgar Wright and Col. Reynolds were cut off who were supposed to lead the troops to Mariveles, Bataan.  

Have a nice day.

Fred Foz

Maj. Fred Foz was a Sgt. in the 45th Infantry (PS) and is President Emeritus of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Raleigh
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2009, 2:28pm

Gentlemen,
  Thank you for the information.  MAJ Foz, I had seen the information from Ms. Burkhart you mentioned, however, you added the detail of his predecessor and his assumption of command.   At some point, my grandfather met MAJ Smothers, and I am trying to determine where and when.

Respectfully,
Raleigh
grandson of COL E. J. Lilly, Jr

WWW   IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2009, 6:35am

Major Thomas Bolyn Smothers, Jr. was a West Point Graduate and a member of the 45th Infantry Regiment, Philippine Scouts
Born 27 Jul 1908, North Carolina
Married to Ruth Remick in Jan 1935
Died 26 Apr 1945,  at age 36, while a prisoner of war of Japan.  He survived the Bataan Death March only to die on a Japanese Hellship.
He was buried at sea.

Remick Ridge Vineyard and Winery, in the Sonoma Valley of California, is operated by Tom and Dick Smothers.

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print