Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Company/Troop and Platoon Organization (Read 6536 times)
1LT Eads
YaBB Newbies

Company/Troop and Platoon Organization
Dec 18th, 2008, 7:15pm

Does anyone know the organization, manning and equipment assigned to a cavalry troop and its subordinate platoons?

Are PS infantry regiments organized the same as standard US army regiments?

How about PA regiments?

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Company/Troop and Platoon Organization
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2008, 7:09am

PS infantry regiments were part of the regular U.S. Army and therefore were organized the same.  You will find considerable order-of-battle information in Louis Morton's The Fall of the Philippines: The War in the Pacific which is part of the U.S. Army in WWII series.  It was first published in 1989 by the Center of Military History or the U.S. Army.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Company/Troop and Platoon Organization
Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2008, 7:28am

Since writing the previous entry, I've come across the following far more thorough answer to your questions posted by the PSHS Public Relations Officer:

Dear Lt. Eads:

26th Cavalry Regiment:
at the outset of World War II:
Based at Fort Stotsenburg
747 men and 55 officers
Headquarters and Band
Headquarters Troop
Service Troop
First Squadron, CO Maj. Hubert W. Ketchum
   Machine Gun Troop
   Troop A
   Troop B
   Troop C (at Baguio under Cpt. Ralph Praeger)
Second Squadron, CO Maj. T.J.H. Trapnell
   Troop E
   Troop F
   Troop G
Part of North Luzon Force in Dec 41.
Acted as rear guard during the withdrawal down Route 3
Jan 1, 1942, down to about 400 men, reorganized:
Horse Squadron, CO Maj. T.J.H. Trapnell, then Maj. Blanning
   Troop A
   Troop F  (Remnants of Troops E and F combined)
   Troop G
Motorized Troop, CO Capt Barker
Troop C, cut off in North Luzon
April 9, 1942, down to about 300 men.
Approximately 150 men survived the Japanese prison camp at Camp O'Donnell.

Philippine Division: <>
at the outset of World War II:
Based primarily at Fort William McKinley
Triangular organization
   Div=3 Inf Regts + 1 FA Regt + Eng Bn, Trans Co, Ord Co, Quarter Co, Signal Co, Hq Co
       Regt=3 Inf Battalions
           Battalion= 3 or 4 companies
It is my understanding that the plan was to reorganize into the "square" division format being implemented in the U.S.-based infantry divisions, but that this reorganization was not carried out before the Japanese attack on Dec 7, 1941 (Dec 8, Philippines time).  The Philippine Division was deployed by regiment after the Japanese attack, and never fought as an actual division.

We do not have troop strengths or weapons TO&E for the 26th Cavalry or the Philippine Division that I know of, but a great deal of information along that line can be obtained from these references:

The Philippine Scouts edited by Col. John Olson.  This large volume published by the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society can be purchased for $28.00, including postage. It has sections on all the Philippine Scout regiments, pre-war and during World War II, and a wealth of information about the Philippine Scouts.  Send check or money order to:
   Philippine Scouts Heritage Society GGBAC
   P.O. Box 179
   Daly City, CA. 94016-0179

Guardians of Empire: The U.S. Army and the Pacific, 1902-1940, by Brian Linn.  It covers the history of the Army in Hawaii and the Philippines, including the Philippine Scouts, up until World War II.

Bataan: Our Last Ditch by John W. Whitman.  This is a big book (750 pages) that should be available at most libraries.  It describes the Battle of Bataan in detail, and you may be able to get helpful information on troop strengths and weapons from it.

The Fall of the Philippines by Louis Morton.  This is the U.S. Army's official account of the battles of Bataan and Corregidor, available through most libraries.

Also, if you post a specific inquiry on the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society website, you may get some responses from veterans or other knowledgeable experts.  www.philippine-scouts.org, click "Message Board,"  click "Units."

I hope that this information is of help to you.  If I can be of further help, please e-mail me--I will try to respond more quickly than was possible this time.

Best regards,
Chris Schaefer.

--
Chris Schaefer
Public Relations Officer
Philippine Scouts Heritage Society

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print