Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Many questions about a handfull of men (Read 4447 times)
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Many questions about a handfull of men
Nov 13th, 2008, 9:23am

1) Were these men (listed below) Philippine Scouts?
From which units?
2) Were they members of known guerrilla units?
What guerrilla units were they part of ?
3) Who ordered them to meet the 1st Cav Div?
4) Why was there such a huge difference between the time the AIB expected the 1st Cav and the guerrillas were told the 1st Cav would arrive?
5) Who were the members of Susano Negado's guerrillas?
Did they live near STIC?
Were they the ones who took messages  from STIC?
Who told Negano's guerrillas to meet the 1st Cav Div and guide them through Manila's streets to Santo Tomas?

Where did messages go?
The train station agent at (Tutuban sp?) or up to Cibul Spring, Bulacan?
6) Where did Negano's guerrillas meet the 1st Cav Div?
7) Who are the family members of all these men? ... and  who would be willing to talk about their family's hero?

I.)  Lt Vicente Kierulf (Killed at the battle of Far Eastern University)
II.) Capt Napoleon Valeriano (took F  Trp to Malacañan Palace)
III.) guerrilla leader Susano Negano? (kept watch on STIC)
IV.) Who was the horse mounted guerrilla who rode out  to meet the returning (north bound)  advance unit of the Flying Column at San Jose, on route 5, in the vicinity of Cibul Spring (where Capt Bartolome C. Cabangbang's radio network HQ was located)  to warn them of  a Japanese ambush ahead (to the north) that had not been there earlier in the day when the same advance unit went through, going south?

Thank you ALL,  once again, for your help.

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2008, 2:19am by Rainbow Trout  aka Sue »  
WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Re: Many questions about a handfull of men
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2009, 8:46pm

I need help to locate the names, and find surviving members of the dozen or so members of Anderson's guerrillas who  were hiding out and running guerrilla operations from Victory Hill,  near Cibul Spring, and  down to Manila, in  late January - early February 1945.

One man rode a horse down from the mountains to meet G  Troop - the advanced unit that was returning  north, and warned them of a Japanese ambush ahead. This is just one of those many little things that were vital in their help that allowed the 1st Cavalry to  arrive in Manila a full day ahead of plan. I do have every expectation that he is living - but I need help to hurry up and find him.

Thank you to ALL once again.

Seems I  recall the story of a Phil Scout cavalry lieutenant who scurried out of Cibul Spring. I am told by an old cavalry colonel that the Phil Scout Cavalry Scout went right through G Troop, 8/1 and past the 1st Cavalry Division, then continued west across land to the 37th infantry division ...

Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2009, 8:00am

Sue, the National Archives, "Philippine Archives Collection: Alphabetical List of Guerrilla Units and Their File Codes in the Guerrilla Recognition Unit Files," is available on the NARA web site.  It contains information on Anderson's Guerrillas.  Mike

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2009, 11:46pm

This more good news
I have made contact with a very nice and sharp WWII veteran who had been "There" -in every place I asked about- even to Victory Hill.

IF I had just known him  a year ago, he would have given me Tommy Cabangbang's radioman who lived in California, but died last year. He is  the closest I have come to someone who may be able to verify - that is, provide  the second witness I want/need- to my mom's story.

Chris_Schaefer
YaBB Administrator

Texas
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2009, 4:30pm

Sue--In his book "Looking for Liling," Alfredo Roces mentions that Liling Roces hired Napolean Valeriano and several other USAFEE officers around September 1942, to work at the Manila Jockey Club.  Roces may be able to give you more information on Valeriano.  

Also, by August 1944 Col. Gyles Merrill in Zambales had established weekly courier service between himself, Lt. Col. Peter Calyer at the Jingco plantation in Pampanga, and someone code-named "Jorge" who was possibly in Manila.  He was also in sporadic courier contact with Anderson.  Merrill wanted to set up his own message center in Manila under the direction of Ramon Magsaysay.  In October 1944 Merrill asked Major Napolean Valeriano, who may have been code-named "Vulcan," to set up a message center in the city (presumably Manila) and asked Mr. Jose Chibat to help him.  By November, "Vulcan" had a message center in operation, called Sta Maria, assisted by someone code-named "Centaur."  They were in contact with Merrill, Marking, Anderson and Niccolson's guerrillas around Manila, at least some of whom were in contact with SWPA presumably through Cabangbang.  They also had courier service to Leyte or Samar.

Hope this helps.  Chris S.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print