Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Loren P. Stewart, 45th Infantry - 1937-40? (Read 8607 times)
jtboyt
YaBB Newbies

Loren P. Stewart, 45th Infantry - 1937-40?
Nov 06th, 2008, 11:03pm

It has been awhile since my last post on a different topic - but want to see if anyone has information about my grandfather - Col Loren P. Stewart - first in the P.I. around 1937-1940 with 45th Infantry- probably as a Major. His wife, Frances and two children (Loren, Jr and Josephine) accompanied him.,

After return and a short tour in the states, he was sent back to P.I. Nov 1941, and commanded 51st Regt(PA) in preparation for the invasion. Was killed in Bataan Jan 12/13, 1942 - remains never recovered. Although Sgt Abraham and I think they were recovered, just not identified.

Recently visited Camp Blanding - where he was assigned between P.I. tours - at the invitation of the Facilities Engineer and Museum Curator to see plaque and memorial dedicated to him. Museum at Camp Blanding is asking for more details.

Any information welcome.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Loren P. Stewart,  45th Infantry - 1937-40?
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2008, 12:34pm

The following was supplied by Federico Baldassarre, a member of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society.  Editor

Col. Stewart and Capt. Wilbur Kreuse were killed by machine gun fire while on reconnaissance in support of a counter-attack by the 52nd Regt. at Abucay Hacienda, on 1/13/42.  Listed is 12/13/42, which is the wrong date.  He was Regimental commander of the 51st Regiment PA at the time.

Fred

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2008, 12:36pm

The following is a list of still-surviving veterans of the 45th Infantry (PS).  Editor

Captain Paul Balanga, San Francisco, CA
Sgt Norberto Ballesteros [3rd Bn.], Aeia, HI
Edward Bautista, [A Co.]
Floriano R. Castaneda, Sr. [Intelligence Section], Kaneohe, HI
Major Fred Foz, Pearl City, HI
Gil Gutierrez, [2nd Bn.] & [12th Medical], Waipahu, HI
Arnulfo  O. Labasbas, [Hqtrs. Co.], Berryville, VA
Nick Lozada, [3rd Bn.], Vallejo, CA
Feliz Magalong, [H Co.], Aurora, CO
Pablo Mesina, Daly City, CA
Antonio Nimis, Seaside, CA
Donovan D. Ricks, [Medic], Sacramento, CA
Pacifico Valdevarona, [H Co.] Alameda, CA
Sgt. Eustaquio Villador
Hermenio Vargas, Lakewood, WA

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Loren P. Stewart, 45th Infantry - 1937-40?
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2008, 2:32pm

JT Boyt,

I got some records, but don'e know if it is the right Loren P.Stewart.  Most pertain to life in the States.  1st the Daily Kennebec Journal, on Dec 15, 1915, reports that he, a June CE graduate from the University of Maine, has taken a position with the Pennsylvvania RR.  He starts to work Wednesday in Philadelphia.  Then his WW I Draft Registration has him employed, temporalily, by the US Government and he is single.  It also gives his date of birth as 27 June 1892.

His 1910 Census has him living with his mother and sister in Freedom, Maine, he is 17 years old.

1920 Census has him married to Frances at Camp Meade, Maryland.

1930  Census has him and his family, wife Frances, son Loren F., and daughter, Josephine, living at Orono, Maine.  I am still searching the NewspaperArchives, where newstories are printed relating to the family.  I got the report that he graduated a CE and was employed by the Pennsylvania RR from NewspaperArchives and am still looking.

Tom McGeeney :)

Tom
  IP Logged
jtboyt
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2008, 6:57pm

Thanks for all info. You all are correct Loren P Stewart was from Maine, was married to Frances in 1920, was stationed in Orono. Also the details of his death are the ones we are familiar with.

He died the night of Jan 12/13 in 1942 and we have some information of his time as CO if the 51st Reg (PA), 51st Div.

We are seeking any additional info available about his first tour to the Philippines - when he was with the 45th Regt (PS) - which I think was some time around 1937-40. I will try to contact some from the list of survivors.

Thanks again for your interest.

IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2008, 7:04pm

jtboyt,

I'm trying to identify the American officers who served with (PA) units. I've listed who I have from the 51st Div below. If you have any other names or corrections for the 51st, I would appreciate your passing them along.
Best regards,
Jim Erickson

CAMPBELL MARVIN H      2nd LT      O&890421      51st Inf Regt (PA)
CORY ALLAN MURRAY      LT COL      O&317610      INF      51st Inf Regt (PA)
CUMMINGS WILLIAM M      CAPT      O&363991      51st Inf Regt (PA)
DALNESS HAROLD E      MAJ      O&362066      51st Inf Regt (PA)
ELY JOHN W      CAPT      O&284846      INF      51st Inf Regt (PA)
FORQUER EUGENE      CAPT      O&362772      INF      51st Inf Regt (PA)
MARTIN BRICE      1st LT      O&363450      51st Inf Regt (PA)
PERKINS ROBERT M      2nd LT      O&890419      51st Inf Regt (PA)
SWANTON DONOVAN      COL      O&005314      51st Inf Regt (PA)
ARSENAULT FAB      2 LT      O&890170      INF      52nd Inf Regt (PA)
BABCOCK ELLIOTT C      MAJ      O&264191      52nd Inf Regt (PA)
COTHRAN PAUL L      2 Lt      O&890176            52nd Inf Regt (PA)
DROBEK PETER J      1st LT      O&890175      52nd Inf Regt (PA)
GACIE JOHN J      2nd LT      O&890177      52nd Inf Regt (PA)
HANSEN HOWARD W      2 LT      O&416244      52nd Inf Regt (PA)
MATTOILI JOSEPH      2 Lt      O&890174      52nd Inf Regt (PA)
MYERS GORDON ROBERT      CAPT      O&343608      52nd Inf Regt (PA)
WILKES EDMUND W      CAPT      O&019509            52nd Inf Regt (PA)
BOATWRIGHT JOHN R      COL      O&006927      53rd Inf Regt (PA)
CHRISMAN ROBERT P      MAJ      O&293054      53rd Inf Regt (PA)
FANSLER CARL G      2nd LT      O&890243      53rd Inf Regt (PA)
HOWARD WILBUR J      2nd LT      O&890247      53rd Inf Regt (PA)
OBBINK JACK D      1st LT      O&405344      3rd Inf Regt (PA)
ROWLEY CHARLES W "MICKEY"      2 LT      O&890467      53rd Inf Regt (PA)

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2008, 2:13pm

I know this won't help but my father was also in the PI.  My mother, brother and I accompanied him to Fort McKinley.  He was with the 45th and then (I believe) the 51st which was with the Philippine Scouts.
He was on Bataan also and survived until the move to Japan in late 1944.  I have the Philippine Postscripts that was a compilation of info received by the wives, editors Hat Diller (wife of Pick Diller on
MacArthur's staff) and Marie Grimes (husband Burleigh who fought with guerrillas and was beheaded).  My father was in Cabanatuan with roommates...Zero Wilson, Ted Lewis, Tom Tarpley, Dinty Moore, John Bennett, Joe Chabot.

Jean Montgomery Foss, daughter of Lt.Col. Hampden E. Montgomery, Jr. (Monty).

jeanfoss@bellsouth.net

The 45th Infantry (PS) was a Philippine Scout unit at that time and the 51st (PA) was Philippine Army.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
jtboyt
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2008, 2:37pm

Thanks so much for the kind offer. I would be most grateful to accept anything you are willing to share.

What years were you in the Philippines?

I can be reached directly at jtboyt@theboytcompany.com if you would like me to pay for any copying or delivery/shipping costs.

Cheers - Jack Boyt

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print