Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for info on Staff Sgt. Modesto Ocenar (Read 3154 times)
Westside-NYC
YaBB Newbies

Looking for info on Staff Sgt. Modesto Ocenar
Oct 01st, 2008, 11:38am

Hi, I am looking for information on my maternal grandfather Staff Sgt. Modesto Ocenar (sometimes misspelled as Ocinar) who had served with the Philippine Scouts from the 1920s up until his death in May 1942 at Camp O' Donnell. He survived the Bataan Death March.  
I don't remember a lot of other details, but I seem recall that he served in an artillary unit.  
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Looking for info on Staff Sgt. Modesto Ocenar
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 3:44pm

Westside-NYC
YaBB Newbie,

On your grandfather, Modesto Ocenar, I got 3 Records from Ancestry.com.  1)  US WW II Army Enlistment Record.  Born in 1892. Enlisted 1 Apr 1941.  Was a SSgt in the Philippine Scouts in the Field Artillery.  He was married and an automobile Serviceman. 2) US Military Personnel Missing in Action Record.  Date of Loss 30 May 1942.  3) US Rosters Of WW II Dead.  Modesto Ocenar, SSgt, Service Number 3314634. All records listed his name, rank and service number.

All these were on Ancestry.com, which charges for the month or year.  However, on NARA, aad you get the same information free.  I went there and printed up what the other records had.  You might want to try it out.  Just put "NARA, aad" in your search engine and away you go, free.  When the site comes up put Modesto Ocenar in the address line and up comes a free record.

Since the government has some record of him, maybe you can write to St Louis where all service records are kept and get some more information on your grandfather.   You might need his service number when you write and these 3 records give it.

Military.com web site might tell you how to go about getting his records.  I was a clerk in the US Army and Ft Benjamin Harrison was where they kept all records and St Louis is where they store tlhem now.  Maybe Fort Harrison is in St Louis I don't know.

Wish you luck.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Westside-NYC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 6:22pm

Thanks Tom,

I really appreciate it!  Now here's what I find interesting...The records have him enlisting in the U.S. Army in 1941 when he was a Philippine Scout for a lot longer than that.  Now that I think of it, I seem to recall my mother saying that Grandpa Modesto joined when he was around 27, I think. That means he was already a Philippine Scout before the 1920s.  The only explanation I could think of was that the Philippine Scouts only became an "official" army unit when the US Army established USAFFE, which included the Philippine Army, as well....Otherwise, if he had just joined in 1941, he would have been a recruit at age 49!  That just doesn't sound right!

Thanks again!

Manny

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2008, 11:24am

Manny,

With your grandfather's service number you should be able to write for his records and this should account for those missing years as a Philippine Scout.  In 1941 he probably re enlisted as he had done for all the years he was a Scout and because of the war starting in 1941 maybe that enlistment was single out, even though thoe two events were months apart.

Wish you luck on your search.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print