Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Charles Jannvrin Browne (Read 2100 times)
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Charles Jannvrin Browne
Sep 08th, 2008, 10:28pm

I came across the West Point (dress gray) uniform of a Charles Jannvrin Browne.  The person who currently has the uniform in possession looked up the name in the tag and this is what he got from the Class of 1937 register.

Charles Jannvrin Browne
B-Tx:A-Lge:INF:31 INF PS & 91 DIV PA Bataan:POW:DEATH MARCH:
Kld POW ship, 9 Jan 1945 MAJ a-30:PH

Would anyone know if he was an officer in the Scouts? It looks like he was in the 31st Infantry and assigned to the 91st Division as adviser but entirely possible that he may have spent some time with the PS. I'm just wondering if  A) this uniform could be a candidate for addition to the PS repository at Fort Sam Houston. Or if B) his family/descendants may be interested in the uniform.

Maybe someone who has access to research resources could look up more information about him. Thanks. -victor

IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Re: Charles Jannvrin Browne
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2008, 11:51am

Maj Charles J. Browne was the CO of 3rd Bn 92nd Inf Regt (PA).  Prior to the war he served in the 31st Inf Regt (US) where Capt. Browne was CO of K Co.  (So, no, he would not have been a Philippine Scout.)  Maj. Browne was in the group of Bataan survivors who were sent to Davao Penal Colony in late 1942.  He returned to Cabanatuan in mid 1944 and was among the 600 men crammed into the forward hold of the Oryoku Maru on 13 Dec 44.  Maj. Browne survived the 15 Dec sinking and transport to Takao but was killed in the bombing of the Enoura Maru on 9 Jan 45.

If you let me know your email address I will send you a page from the roster of 31st Inf officers that Col. Steel prepared while at Mukden POW camp.  That roster lists his death as 15 Dec 44 but numerous other records support the 9 Jan 45 death date.
Best regards,
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Re: Charles Jannvrin Browne
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2008, 5:46am

Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate that.  I can be emailed by clicking on my userid and choosing the option to send me an email. I just don't want spambots from finding my email if I post it here. Thanks a lot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print