Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Memories of my Father (Read 5035 times)
jillde
YaBB Newbies

Memories of my Father
Aug 02nd, 2008, 6:07am

This is a story about the man whom I am so proud of and love the most.  Though I am not a good writer, I just really love to tell his stories, even a hundred times will never tire me from sharing this to anynone.  It was about a U.S. soldier named Bautista N. Deligero, Sr., Filipino by blood, who was born from the town of Macrohon, Southern Leyte and came from a very poor family.  He was known to be a very happy, generous and an energetic young boy in their place.  As the years passed by, one day, he heard that the U.S. Army came to Leyte and is recruiting soldiers.   He immediately packed his only one pair of clothes in his native bag and flew to Visca, Leyte wearing his only one pair of slippers.  When he got there, all the interested volunteers were physically examined first before they would qualify and be accepted. All of them were ordered to run dashes to see who were the fast and strong candidates.  And there you were, he was chosen  as one of them and was ordered right away to report to Gen. Douglas MacArthur to inform him that he was one of the best.  He felt very nervous and excited not believing what just happened to him and was given the position of 1st Lieutenant of the  57th Inf. (PS).  He had never forgotten those times and how nice Gen. MacArthur was to him and to all the soldiers under the General's supervision.   During his retirement in the 1970s, Bautista was appointed as Police Chief of Southern Leyte,  Philippines and married to Erlinda Deligero, whom he bore with five children.   He's being a great man has won the respect of a lot of people in our town: from fishermen to cub drivers, to bussinessmen and to political icons during his time.. and most especially until now to his family and close friends.  He died of old age at 78, year 1988, under the loving care of his wife and children.

You will always be remembered,

Jill Deligero-Elizalde
Youngest daughter of 1st Lt. Bautista N.  Deligero

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Re: Memories of my Father
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 1:39pm

Beautiful tribute - a love story, thank you for sharing. I hope you will write his story for your family's future generations. Sue

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
indiosbravos
YaBB Newbies

England
Re: Memories of my Father
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2008, 5:16pm

A very moving tribute...well said.

Non Omnis Moriar...RPJ
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print