Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lt Frederick H Freund (Read 5363 times)
jrjamieson
YaBB Newbies

Lt Frederick H Freund
Jul 23rd, 2008, 9:27pm

I am trying to locate where Lt Freund is buried in Indianapolis IN.  He died in May 1944 as a result of the Bataan Death March in the Phillipines.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Lt Frederick H Freund
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2008, 9:00am

The Bataan Death March occurred in April 1942, so either his death date is inaccurate or his passing wasn't directly related to the Death March.

Freund is not a common last name.  Have you tried accessing the white pages for Indianapolis?  He may have relatives still living there.

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2008, 2:18pm

jrjamieson,

I have a US Roster of WW II Dead that lists Frederick H Freund as being in the US Army, a 1st Lt, Cemetery Nam, Indiana, and disposition, according to next of kin.

There is a 1920 Census having his family living with grandpartents (his mother's parents, the Harts),  Indianapolis Ward 13, Marion, Indiana.  His father is Fred A. and mother is Bertha.  There is a MG John Frederick Freund buried at Arlington.  

I don't know how many cemeteries are in Indiana.  Probably check out next of kin for disposition.  See where his mother and father settled in Indiana, or contact all Indiana Cemeteries that were operating at the end of WW II.

Regards,

Thomas McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2008, 2:22pm

There is a misprint in Cemetery Nam,

Should be Cemetery Name, Indiana, (which probably meant the burial was in Indiana)  Since there was no body a marker is probably all there was.  Remember Glen Miller is at Arlington and his body was never found.

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2008, 2:25pm

2nd Lt. Frederick H Freund, O&392573, E Co 45th Inf (PS) is listed in Col. John Olson's "O' Donnell:  Andersonville of the Pacific" as having died at Camp O'Donnell on 30 May 1942.  The 978th recorded American Death.

Best regards,
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2008, 11:15pm

Lt. Fred Freund is listed in the National WWII Memorial website as being from Indianapolis, Marion County, IN.  He was "COMMANDING OFFICER, G COMPANY, 45TH INFANTRY (PS). BATAAN, BATAAN MARCH, CAMP O'DONNELL. TARLAC, LUZON, PHILIPPINE ISLANDS.  Here is his memorial plaque:

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/default.asp?page=registry.asp&subpage=search&drawtab...

Since he is not listed in the Tablets of the Missing in Manila, I assume he is buried at O'Donnell?  If I could attach photos, I have a picture of the 1942-45 graves there, that I could send.  

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx

and type in "Carl Mydans Philippines" first, and then "O'Donnell", in the search engine.

The 45th:

45th Infantry
- One of the 3 infantry regiments of the Philippine Division
- Based in Fort McKinley (present day Fort Bonifacio)
- Counter-attacked along with the 31st Infantry US to restore the Abucay line of defense
- Threw the Japanese back into the sea at the Battle of the Points
- Helped the Philippine Army destroy the Japanese at the Battle of the Pockets
- Delayed the Japanese during the last days of the campaign along with the 57th Infantry PS, 31st Infantry US, and the 26th Cavalry PS
- Motto: Strong to Endure

Hope this helps -

Peter

petrao57   IP Logged
jrjamieson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2009, 7:32pm

Lt Freund is at Memorial Park Cemetery Indianapolis.  I gave the info to Chris Schaefer and trust he will post it as I do not know how.  I have developed a family tree for the Lt and have some photos.  I can share if you will contact me at jr@jjamieson.com.  Thank you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print