Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Info On Andres R. Roselada/Modesto D. Bautista (Read 3784 times)
3dragon64
YaBB Newbies

IL
Info On Andres R. Roselada/Modesto D. Bautista
Jul 12th, 2008, 11:19am

Does anyone have any Enlisted Men Rosters for the 57th Infantry PS?

I am looking for info on my Lolo, MSgt Andres Robrigado Roselada and my Tio, Cpl Modesto Del Rosario Bautista.  

I went to Guam to interview my Tio this past June 2008. The info he gave me was that they were both in the 57th Infantry PS with H&S Co. My Lolo was the acting 1stSgt? and my Tio was in the communications field.  

Both fought in Bataan. Lolo was in the intelligence gathering business during the battle, crossing enemy lines  numerous times to gather intel and was captured and esaped the Death March.  

Tio was with a group of about a dozen PS when they started off to Mariveles and he stated that when they where about a kilometer North of the town they saw what the Japanese were doing to the sick and wounded prisoners which was bayonetting and shooting Filipino and American POWs to sick to stand and march. My Tio and a few in his group had malaria so they all decided to E&E back to Manila (Ft McKinley area) and their respective provinces.  

As I said my Lolo escaped from the Death March and from what my Tio related led a geuerrila movement in the Southern Luzon area of Bicol. I have pictures of post WWII of my Lolo in his Khaki's with his MSgt stripes. Also from what Tio Modesto told me they both shipped over to the US Army in 1944 and that Lolo Andres took the Officers Screening test (1945) and passed becoming a 1stLt and also served in Okinawa during the occupation of that island. Your help in any other info and contacts would be greatly appreciated.  
Also, how do you attach or paste photos to this email? I have pictures of the Bataan pennisula, Mt. Samat and Mariveles.

Semper Fidelis...

GySgt Francis V. BautistyRoselada Munoz
(USMC Ret.)

IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Re: Info On Andres R. Roselada/Modesto D. Bautista
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2008, 11:22pm

Hi:

I don't have any roster of the 57th Inf, but I would be very interested to see the pictures you have.  I lost my grand-uncle on Bataan.

There's a good history of the PA 45th Inf at war at: http://www.geocities.com/afpmuseum/history/history_chapter03.htm
I can help you search among other places on the net too.

here's my e-mail if you care to attach the photos:

pcolsen@verizon.net

Thanks -

Peter

petrao57   IP Logged
snake284
YaBB Newbies

Port Lavaca, Texas
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2008, 10:40am

I have no information for you, but I want to tell you that you have a right to be very proud of your uncle and grandfather. They were real heros. I think from all I have read that the Philippine Scouts, no matter American or Filipino, were the best of the best. My Tio, Captain RK Grimes survived the battle of Bataan, the death march and Camp O'Donnel, only to die of Diptheria in Camp Cabanatuan in Oct. 42. Tom McGeeney just confirmed all this for me here. Anyway, I am very proud of my uncle and the fact that he received the DSC Postumously for action on Bataan. I am also proud to say I am married to a Filipina and we go back to the Philippines every two or three years to visit her family on Negros Occidental. However, as many times as I had been there, I had never been to Bataan, until September, 2006. We were staying in Makati awaiting my step daughter's Immigrant Visa to the U.S., and we decided to rent a service and go down to Mariveles. I was so surprised to see that Bataan is one of the most beautiful areas in the Philippines I have seen so far. We went to the shrine there at the beginning of the death march trail in Mariveles and lo and behold my wife finds a cousin from Negros Occ, where she is from, working there at the shrine. Standing there in front of the Filipino and American flags I got a lump in my throat thinking about what went on at that spot some 64 years before. The cruelty and slaughter must have been unbearable. Anyway, it was an awsome day and experience. But when we were driving back out towards San Fernando, I started thinking, wow, that would be some hike for a healthy person, much less those poor prisoners. This to me is a black mark on the people in power in Washington at the time for letting these guys get into this predicament in the first place. To have put up with the torture and conditions they were subjected to is an inexcusable failure on their part. For one thing, if the U.S. would have been more proactive before WWII, though it still probably would have happened, we would have been prepared and maybe the Philippines would not have fallen to the Japanese. This mindset of cutting defense spending to route money to social programs is a sin. They throw good money away that never achieves it's intentions, when they could keep our armed forces up do date and ready for any insurection. Anyway, some things never change do they? But, standing there at that shrine in Mariveles made me think that some 64 years before (at the time in 2006) there, American and Filipino blood ran together in the name of preserving freedom and fighting tyranny. The bond between American and Filipino should never be allowed to be broken. We are Blood Brothers.

in the words of Charlton Heston, "...when they pry it from my cold dead hands!"
  IP Logged
snake284
YaBB Newbies

Port Lavaca, Texas
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2008, 10:48am

This is a post script to my above reply. I believe that due to our former relations that Filipinos should be given preferential treatment with visas to the U.S. I think it is another sin of our government to let thousands of foreigners in the country and make the Filipino stand in line. Hell, Filipinos were almost citizens at one time. They should be allowed in before anyone else.

in the words of Charlton Heston, "...when they pry it from my cold dead hands!"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print