Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Garands issued in the PI? (Read 6981 times)
Legionnaire
YaBB Newbies

Philippines
Garands issued in the PI?
Jun 23rd, 2008, 8:46pm

Greetings everyone,

Would anyone have clear information as to how many M1 Garands were issued or reached the Philippine Scouts until all shipment ceased after Pearl Harbor.

Some say between 4,000 to 8,000 reached the Philippines. As I know of someone who  claims only 600 plus reached the Philippines. Any info on who would know would be appreicated.

Philip
Alex Nininger PS Living history Co., LA Chapter

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Garands issued in the PI?
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2008, 2:32am

Philip,

I am  unpacking from a move back to Chula Vista, CA from Surprise, AZ.  I read in one of my books where Gen MacArthur was able to purchase Enfield rifles and probably mention would be made about the
Garands.  I will prusue this.  Those Enfields were purchased with Sugar Tax funds I think.  They were the ones with the rusted extractors.  Causing the soldiers to carry a rod to push the fired cartridge out of the chamber when the rusted extractors tore the rimmed cartridge off.  Or something like that.  I think they were purchased for $9.00 to $12.00.  Or 25.00  Pesos each.

Custer's Last Stand had a similair problem with the old Trapdoor 45-70.  Cartridge would break off and the Indians told of seeing many soldliers trying to get these damaged cartridges out of the breech after the rimmed cases were  pulled off.

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2008, 8:38am

The 26th Cavalry regiment  was ssued the Garand Rffles before the war about 1200. I think the 45th and  57th Infantry regiments were also issued. Please verify from them.
My best regards.
Dr. Torio

Dr. Torio was a trooper in the 26th Cavalry (PS) during WWII.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2008, 8:38am

If I recall correctly the Garand rifles were issued to us PS a few months before Pearl Harbor attack. We did not have much time to familiarize ourselves with it. We used the 1903 models for marksmanship qualification. I can honestly say that 80% of all combat troops was expert or sharpshooters with the 03s. Most of the combat personnel used  the Garand in Bataan Campaign. Aloha and have a nice day.

Fred Foz
45th Inf. Regt PS

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pacwest32
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2008, 11:19am

I have that information -

In a memorandum from the War Plans Dvision dated November 3, 1941 the army command in the Philippines reported on hand 6,536 M1 rifles, 22,612 M1903 Springfields, and 238,725 M1917 Enfield-types. The M1s had arrived in several batches by ship starting in early June, 1941. Apparently at least one other shipment made it prior to the start of war, as a radiogram from the acting ordnance officer of USAFFE dated December 15, 1941 reports a slightly increased total of 7,242 M1s.

As far as I know, all three regiments of the Philippine Division (the regular 31st and the two Philippine Scout regiments - the 45th and 57th) along with the independent 26th Cav (Philippine Scout) were armed with this weapon. I don't believe any of the scout artillery units had it during the campaign, and am unusure about other divisional units like the Philippine Scout Engineer regiment - if anyone out there can comment on these other units and the M1, I'd be interested in hearing, too.

The War Department specifically turned-down a request by MacArthur for 80,000 additional M1s just before the war began - with the rationale that such a large quantity (obviously meant to re-equip the Philippine Army) was not yet avaiable.

Pacwest32

IP Logged
Legionnaire
YaBB Newbies

Philippines
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2008, 7:58pm

Thank you Chris for the info and I can now show all this info about the # of garands in the P.I.!

Hi Pacwest32,

Thank you for this great info about an actual report you were able to share! Now I can show this to my friend as he insists only 600 reached the PI.   Grin

Hi Tom,
Yes please let me know if you have further info on the # of Garands in the Philippines.

Philip

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print