Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
POW Camp Sites and Death March Markers (Read 5032 times)
arnold1961ca
YaBB Newbies

POW Camp Sites and Death March Markers
Feb 25th, 2008, 2:02am

Magandang Umaga and Gabi to All,

I would like to ask all of you as to how I may be able to find a guide to show me the POW camps and "death march" route.  I have a great interest because as I have been told by my mother and grandmother that my grandfather, who was a filipino in the US Navy and was a machinist mate on the admiral's yatch, was in Corrogidor when she fell to the japanese.  He also endured and survived the "death march".  I will be visiting Manila at the end of March 2008.  I would like to try and visit and pay my respect to the heroes who perished in the POW camp
and the "death march".  I would greatly appreciate any  information you may be able to provide.

Maraming Salamat,

Arnold Arca
CW2 (Retired)
US Army
arnold.arca@gmail.com

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: POW Camp Sites and Death March Markers
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2008, 11:31am

Only the troops who were captured when Bataan was surrendered were on the Death March.  If your grandfather was captured on Corregidor, that surrender took place one month after the Death March and he would not have taken part in it.   Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Re: POW Camp Sites and Death March Markers
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2008, 2:06pm

Hello Arnold,
The Corregidor prisoners had their own mini "death march" along Dewey Blvd (present day Roxas Blvd). Maybe that's the "death march" that your mother and grandmother were referring to.

Not sure if you've previously visited Corregidor but it would be nice to visit it as well.

Regards,
Victor

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print