Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newspaper articles from the second world war (Read 4930 times)
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
newspaper articles from the second world war
Jan 30th, 2008, 3:49pm

this article mentioning Major Abia is founded in an old unidentified paper.

Guerrillas and civilians on Samar which heroic fight against Japs

A dramatic story of the heroism of Filipino guerrilla forces on Samar is retold by Captain Sidney Jenkins of­­­ ___ attached to the Sixth Army. Every able-bodied male 12 years old, from the town of Basey and 31 other villages on Samar joined the guerrilla force which numbered about 3000.  They fought in the hills, many of them naked and others clad rags and leaves.  They used bolos and knives when  their ammunition was gone.  They stole rifles from the Japs.  Other weapons were brought to them by American fliers and submarines.  Women and young children hunted for food, while the guerrillas fought the enemy.  When the Japanese reinforcements arrived at Basey last October, 31,000 people in the area fled to the mountains.  The Basey Muncipal Council went with them.  It preserved all records and continued to function in the mountains. Civil and military power was given to Major Abia, the guerrilla leader, who has been for 27 years, a member of the famed Filipino Scouts.  Now Basey is liberated from the Japs.  The Basey government is again operating normally.  ____ ____ of Samar are being helped by people of  Tacloban.  A womens volunteer organization, whose aid was sought by President Osmena, has already salvaged clothing and sent a supply to Basey. The women's volunteer organization and Tacloban, organized to aid in relief of liberated communities, is headed by Mrs. Paz A. Ab_solo, a graduate of the National Catholic Services School of Washington, D.C..

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this message is distributed under fair use without  profit or payment for non-profit research and educational purposes only. [Ref. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml ]  

« Last Edit: Feb 01st, 2008, 3:24pm by Rainbow Trout  aka Sue »  
WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Re: newspaper articles from the second world war
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2008, 3:13pm

In the steaming mountains of Luzon, in the Philippines,
it was hardly a time for a man to think about anything but his own skin.  For it was 1942 and the Japs were pouring through our lines. Lieutenant Clay Conner was knotted with fear and sick with malaria as he fled into the jungles rather than surrender. He had in  his pocket  a copy of the New Testament, the chance farewell gift of a fellow officer.

Hiding out among friendly Filipinos, Conner bided his time until the fever left him by reading from the gift-book.  "I was freed from consuming fear," he lived to report, "and my budding faith strengthened me."

Armed with the courage of this reading, he formed a guerrilla band of  GIs, Filipino scouts and sympathetic natives.  A scout brought an American flag, and though constantly harassed by Jap patrols, they kept the flag flying throughout the entire occupation.

Now Clay Conner is an Indianapolis insurance man.  He repays the gift of courage that faith brought him by working actively in community affairs.

Who can  identify these Scouts?
What are their stories?

edited from a post-war Tri-City Herald,  Pasco, Washington
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this message is distributed under fair use without  profit or payment for non-profit research and educational purposes only. [Ref. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml ]

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2008, 1:02am by Rainbow Trout  aka Sue »  
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2008, 10:18pm

On a Mountainside: The 155th Provisional Guerrilla Battalion Against the Japanese on Luzon by Malcolm Decker has considerable information on Lt. Clay Conner.

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
malcolm
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:51am

As written on pages 152 & 153 of my book "On A Mountainside" the sergeant that hid the flag was Gaetano Bato. Sergeant Agapito Macasual (Max) contacted Bato and received permission to deliver the flag to Clay Conner's unit.
The flag resulted in Lt. Felipe Maningo bringing his Scout guerrilla unit under Conner.

Malcolm Decker

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2008, 12:52pm

Lt Henry Clay Conner was an Air Corps Signal Officer who escaped from Bataan with Major Bernard Anderson, Squadron 155 was composed primarily of Negrito natives who lived on the eastern rim of the Zimabales mountains above Clark Field and Ft Stotsenberg.  

This is all in Bataan Diary a web site listing all the Guerrilla units, who commanded them, where they operated and what they did.  

First Conner reported to Maj Ramsey but transferred his alligence to Col Merrill when the Col became active in 1944.  Many guerrillas in Conner's unit worked as day laborers for the Japs at Clark Field and as such gathered much intelligence which was passed on to Col Merrill.  Also, during liberation, Squadron 155's data was passed on defining targets of Japanese fortifications which were bomb by US planes.  This information also alerted the Sixth US Army so they weren't ambushed by the Japs.

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2008, 1:55am

You referred to Chris Schaefer's book - Bata'an Diary - and now I remember where mine is ... on loan to a friend 3,000 miles from home.  Chris's writing - oooh even after all this time I  can still feel the  rolling motion of the submarine beneath  my feet and the early calm. Whoa! rolling sub - - -  I've gotta go get  my feet back on dry ground! Bye Tom, and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for adding the history to  the story - and THANK YOU to Chris for writing his historic story.

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2008, 6:57am by Editor-at-Large »  
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print