Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Babies born in Santo Tomas Internment Camp (Read 13707 times)
lady_hystorian
YaBB Newbies

Babies born in Santo Tomas Internment Camp
Jan 15th, 2008, 2:23am

I am currently researching women's maternity experiences in the Santo Tomas Internment Camp--I am interested in everything from planned to unplanned pregnancies, health during pregnancy, the camp's reaction to the pregnant women (supportive or otherwise), Japanese reaction (if they were aware), the health of the babies once they were born, etc.

If anyone has information regarding women who became pregnant once they were already interned, and any part of their maternity and birth experience, I would like to hear from you.

I have read Margaret Sams book, "Forbidden Family," and I am looking for other stories.  It seems to me that since the Japanese forbid intimate relations, the women who became pregrant really took a risk in doing so.

Please advise if you have any information.

Thank you.

IP Logged
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Re: Babies born in Santo Tomas Internment Camp
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2008, 8:41am

IP Logged
lady_hystorian
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2008, 7:20pm

No.  That is a different book but thank you, I will take a look at it.

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2008, 12:21am

Yes - and you will probably even have a few of those who were born in Santo Tomas e-mail you.  

Tom Moore maintains the best Santo Tomas site and his email is pepperbud(at)pobox.com. Most former internees are on his list. Just sent Tom a copy of your post here  and ask him to send it out to the group.

This is the page I wrote for my mom that  Tom hosts. www.cnac.org/emilscott/lewey01.htm Tom has an email  link at the bottom of this page.  

Jerry died within the past month. Margaret is unable to correspond, however, Tom has their daughter's address - if you wanted to drop a line.  

BTW The Crouter book,Forbidden Diary, is excellent and rather well documented, (notes in text)  but no index.

IF you are going to make a serious study of STIC. these two books are required for your bookshelf. These books are increasing in price and can be picked up for $35 (Stevens) to $100 (Hartendorp) on ebay auction.
"The Santo Tomas Story by A.V.H. Hartendorp"  edited by Frank Golay  
Frederic Steven's "Santo Tomas Internment Camp."  

Hartendorp (who had three guerrilla sons)  has an entire chapter on the topic you are researching and Stevens lists all the children born in camp, by year.  

Another good reference book for your library is "Stic in Verse and Reverse  STIC-toons and STIC-tistics 1942-1945", (c) 1945 by James E McCall.  This paperback has been increasing in price for the last year and now sells for over $100.  

Use World Cat to locate these in a library and have them sent to your local library for pick-up. Some libraries now charge up to $20 for inter-library loan and the borrower pays the fee  to the local library, IF they tell their home-library to go ahead and order the book for them.  
http://www.worldcat.org/

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2008, 5:14pm by Rainbow Trout  aka Sue »  
WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Carolyn in the Keys
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2011, 2:51pm

The book Santo Thomas Interment Camp has a page (485) of the names of 75 "War Babies" and their dates of birth.  Their names and dates might help you track them down so you can ask what they were told about their mothers' pregnancies, etc. Many are probably still alive. The list does not give nationalities, though, so you would have to match them with their parents through their names to find out where they might be living now.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2011, 8:43pm

The following was provided by Angus Lorenzen, Commander of the Bay Area Civilian Ex-Prisoners of War (BACEPOW) organization.

I wouldn't be a good source of information for the correspondent on your message board because most of my information is second hand from talking with people who had first hand information.  I did talk to one woman whose younger sister was born in Santo Tomas, and she said her mother had a very bad time.  First, she was ostracized by others in the camp because they resented that new mothers were given added nutrition at the expense of the other prisoners.  Then she lost all of her teeth because we had practically no calcium in our diet and nursing her newborn leached the calcium from her teeth.

The Japanese forbid intimate relations in the camp, but it was impossible to stop as people will be people.  Their reaction was to imprison the new fathers for a period of time in the camp prison.

There were 75 babies born in the camps.  One might guess that about half were conceived in the camps, but it is hard to tell because people trickled into the camp from various places, including other islands, clear through 1944.  The last baby was born in Los Banos on February 15, 1945, and was 8 days old when the camp was liberated.

Cheers, Angus

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2011, 7:54am

The following information was provided by Sascha Jansen, Deputy Commander of BACEPOW, the civilian internee organization headquartered in the San Francisco Bay area.  Most members were imprisoned by the Japanese in Santo Tomas Internment Camp, Manila, the Philippines during WWII.

Another very interesting story is about Grace Nash, who recently passed away last year.(see obits i just wrote, Angus)
Grace wrote a wonderful book, That We May Live, which was published in 1984. It is well written. She and her husband were held up in ridicule by the hated Comandant at the time.

It is an eye opener, in that she tells of her pregnancy in camp in 1943 where the Commandant at the time was Kuroda. His edict of no intimacy and pregnancy was no match for the married couples involved The fathers were put in jail, and the women were sent to an island in the middle of the Pasig River at Hospicio de San Jose - a facility housing sick ,TB and syphilitic old Spanish-American veterans and prostitutes. There were some nurses there
from STIC who volunteered. While Grace was there others were banished there, like Cay Hoskin's married sister. The babies were born either at St Lukes or PGH. Grace and Ralph had two small sons already who were sent to Holy Ghost during this period.

It all depended on who the Commandant was, on how the women and men were treated. We stayed in the Nash's shanty for a few weeks while they were out of camp till our shanty was ready to move into. Horrid experience for these poor people and their children.

In 1942 - 50 babies were born
1943 - 14 were born
1944 - 14 were born
1945 - 1 in Jan
          1 in Feb

Aloha - Sascha

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print