Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BATAAN SURVIVOR TELLS POW'S RUN OVER BY TANKS (Read 13087 times)
FOX
YaBB Newbies

BATAAN SURVIVOR TELLS POW'S RUN OVER BY TANKS
Jan 12th, 2008, 2:38am

Some Americans prisoners were run over by Japanese vehicles. The enemy showed no mercy to any POW's who couldn't keep up on the BATAAN DEATH MARCH. One eyewitness recalls ' I saw the remains of an American soldier who had just been run over by a tank. Just some of the scenes that will be captured on United Movietone Pictures new film 'DEATHMARCH' and there's more to come said Director Rainer Loeser.

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Re: BATAAN SURVIVOR TELLS POW'S RUN OVER BY TANKS
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2008, 11:47pm

FOX wrote on Jan 12th, 2008, 2:38am:
Some Americans prisoners were run over by Japanese vehicles. The enemy showed no mercy to any POW's who couldn't keep up on the BATAAN DEATH MARCH. One eyewitness recalls ' I saw the remains of an American soldier who had just been run over by a tank. Just some of the scenes that will be captured on United Movietone Pictures new film 'DEATHMARCH' and there's more to come said Director Rainer Loeser.

IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 5:40pm

I've followed the threads on Loeser's film with interest but grow increasingly fearful that sensationalism will trump reality.  I have read several accounts of this, or similar incidents, but none actually state that a living POW was run over, rather they note a body was run over.  Now, perhaps this is what the filmmakers intend to show, but the blurb from FOX hints that they plan instead to use a sensationalized version of the incident.  I hope Mr. Loeser proves my concerns groundless by focusing on the horrors that actually occurred.  

Best regards,
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 8:07pm

I have over 100 books on this period of Philippine-US history and several have made mention of a soldier being run over by a Jap tank during the Death March.  I assume it was only one incident, and that it did actually happen.  We all have seen many films covering the Bataan Death March but none have even hinted at this ever happening on the Death March.

Now we will see how "tastefully" "Hollywood" will portray a most untastefull incident.  I am not against the showing of this incident as anything that will show the Death March for what it was to all the World gets my approval.  I think getting comments and "talking up" this will generate great publicity, so people will want to view it.

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:32pm

Just to be clear.  I have no doubt that such an event could have occurred, but I've not seen or heard anything to suggest it happened to a live man.  If you have come across a reference that suggests otherwise please let me know.  

I do agree with your desire to promote "anything that will show the Death March for what it was" with the important caveat that what is was must include real events, not illustrative 'what could have beens'.   Using dramatized incidents in place of actual ones runs the risk of discrediting the real story.

A recent illustration is the execution of the 10 men in a shooting squad in the film 'The Great Raid.'  Shooting squads were real, and I believe that at least one group of 10 men was executed on a work detail, but the execution of the 10 'Blood brothers' never occurred at Cabanatuan.  The tendency to fictionalize can lead many to conclude that the films exaggerate the real story, when in fact, they all only scratch the surface of the horrors.

Best regards,
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Re: BATAAN SURVIVOR TELLS POWS RUN OVER BY TANKS
Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2008, 7:14am

I sent Rainer Loeser a note this evening asking for a quote I could place here to allez fears and quell potential rumors.

From Rainer Loeser, edited from a longer email.
I  don't think Bataan is sensationalism.   I wouldn't be surprised if some viewers will be shocked in what they see. Like any film, you will always get people that like it and people who don't.
The whole concept of the film (is) to tell the story from eyewitness accounts. And that is exactly how it will be presented to the screen.
This is not a Hollywood style production; it is based on true facts of what the enemy did to American and Filipino POWs, and it's about as raw as it can get.  

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2008, 7:39am

Rainer Loeser is an Australian documentary film producer whose works are factual and are presented in a respectful manner which does not exploit our veterans.
His Angels and Corregidor films have brought me (in memories) much closer to my parents. They have left the confines of their roles of  "Mom and Dad" and have taken on their roles as soldiers.   Through Rainer's gift of retelling history's stories, my parents became whole people, not just, "Mom and Dad'. It is truly wonderful gift to understand Mom and Dad after all the time, the decades they have been dead.

I expect no less than the whole truth, presented in a respectful manner that does not exploit our veterans, from the new film, Bata'an..

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2008, 9:11am by Rainbow Trout  aka Sue »  
WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2008, 12:18pm

I'm sorry, but the edited reply by Mr. Loeser doesn't cut it.  It's not an answer to criticism, its a deflection, and something of an ad hominum one at that.  That's not the sort of reply one expects from someone who is interested in accuracy.  

Of course since the quote was edited, and the original to which Mr. Loeser responded unknown, it may not accurately reflect Mr. Loeser's opinion or comprehension of the argument.

I have seen no credible evidence that a LIVING American POW was ACTUALLY run over by a tank on the March.  Many men tell of the graphic and terrible image of a body flatted by tanks and trucks.  They tell of the indelible image it had on them.  How it exemplified the callous disregard for life that the Japanese displayed.  I'd like to see a filmaker would explore those thoughts and issues.  It would tell us more of the story than the image I image we'll see based on FOX's original message.

Best regards,
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2008, 4:56am

POW's being run over by Japanese vehicles and tanks. Alf. R Larson, Back to Bataan A Survivors Story. http://www.bataansurvivor.com
' Some American prisoners who couldn't keep up were run over by Japanese vehicles. I saw the remains of an American soldier who had been run over by a tank. I didn't see the actual event but the Japanese just left his remains in the middle of the road. We could see them as we walked by'. I would like to hear from anyone else who may have some information on this subject.

Fox

IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2008, 10:07am

FOX,
Have you switched sides?  I thought you were trying to counter, not confirm, my argument.

Best regards,
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2008, 6:02pm

FOX,
Now that you've weighed in again, I'd like to ask if perhaps there is a simple resolution.  Does the film depict a tank running over a body or a dying man lying in the roadway, or is it a scene more akin to what you seen in an action movie?  I have no problems with the first.  The second is unsupported by any facts known to me, or apparently, to you.
Best regards,
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2008, 4:32am

JIM
According to the newspaper they are still filming so I don't know what's in the film apart from what I read on the internet.

Best regards
Fox

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print