Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone know of a unit patch that has carabao head? (Read 4878 times)
fmakkanic
YaBB Newbies

Anyone know of a unit patch that has carabao head?
Dec 28th, 2007, 2:53pm

I came across this site in Google and was surprise that the PS has a society.

I am intrigued because my grandfather (Nicasio Macan) was a PS that serve with the US Army before and during WWII.  Before he passed away, he told me stories of his experience as a scout, hence why I am still in the military.

If there's anyone out there that might know of the unit with the carabao head, I would greatly appreciate you contacting me.  Even though my grandfather is long gone, I want to help in whatever way I can with the Philippine Scouts.

Thank you.  My email is fmakkanic@yahoo.com

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Anyone know of a unit patch that has carabao h
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2007, 10:51pm

The Philippine Division was created in 1922 based on two US infantry regiments (15th and 31st) and two Philippine Scout regiments (45th and 57th) patch was also adopted on July 8, 1922 and features a gold carabao (symbolizing the Philippines) on a red shield. Gold and red were the Spanish colors.  (This shoulder patch can be seen at the top of this page.)  To read more about Philippine Scout patches and insignia and see actual examples, go to the "Scouts" section of the website (rather than the message board) and follow the linkages.

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Anyone know of a unit patch that has carabao h
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2008, 9:59pm

There are two similair patches, one a Carabao, one a bull.  The Philippine Div has the Carabao and the 34th Inf Div, a NG unit from the states of Minn and Iowa.  During WW II the 34th, stationed in Scotland, had many soldiers volunteer for the Rangers under Col Wm O. Darby.

Also, the 34th was the first Div into Europe in WWII.  I first saw the 34th's patch and confused it with the Philippine Div, but the owner corrected me.  

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print