Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Documentary "Death March" (Read 19259 times)
Legionnaire
YaBB Newbies

Philippines
New Documentary "Death March"
Dec 13th, 2007, 12:00am

Wed 12/12/07 7:33 PM

Hello Philip,

I appreciate your interest in this project and I hope that you will be able to pass on this to everyone in the forum and hopefully to some of the veterans and victims of the horrific event. This film is focused specifically about the forgotton tragic events that occured during the 9 day March and later at Camp O'Donell and Camp Cabanatuan. Showing what the Japanese inflicted on the American and Filipino soldiers during that period. It also shows scenes of mutilated women and children who were rape and children who were shot for showing the V sign for victory as the POW's march through the towns. I'm sure that you know the story. I'm don't have any doubts that this film will even shock the censor's board who will most likely tell me to re-cut it. But it is a story that needs to be told as it was and I hope it will make the front page news.

Production notes:

I was inspired to do this film after I finished doing ' Angels of Bataan and Siege of Corregidor. Just been there where it all happened I became more interested. We always hear and see films on the Pacific war, but on Bataan not much. Apart from Movies like 'Back to Bataan' So Proudly We Hail ' The Last Raid ' and Bataan with Robert Taylor, not much else has been shot. And when they did shoot something it was always more Hollywood style not telling the truth or showing what really happened because they did not want to offend anyone.

I have been doing research for this project for the last 12 months and all the re-enactments you will see are based on eyewitness accounts. I spent the last 6 months in Bataan filming the Deathmarch. The re-enactments will be shot here in Australia next month (Jan) The rest of the film has already being edited and is completed. Most of the Japanese uniforms were bidded on from ebay and are genuine coming from Japan. Some of the weapons are also genuine. The only items that aren't would be the boots that the Japanese are wearing.
As for the Americans, their canteens, web belts, caps, gaitors pitch-helmets etc are all genuine items. Except for their boots, shirts and trousers.Most of the shirts and trousers will be torn, covered in mud, sweat, blood etc so it was not wise to get the genuine items.

the first half of the film is the Battle of Bataan, the second half is after they surrender and begin the March.

STILLS;

I will pass on to you some stills of the re-enactments which you can show. These stills will show the horrors and may shock some members, so I'll leave it up to you what pictures you want to put in the forum.

MARKETING;

I hope to get this film release in the US since it is their story, but as yet have no distributor. You may be able to spread the word among your members around the US and hopefully some Film festival, TV network or cable will hear about it and pick it up.

Please feel free to ask me any questions concerning 'Deathmarch'

Regards

Rainer Loeser

His other Documentary films are available on ebay too.

Angels of Bataan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130181449228&ssPageName=...

Corregidor Fortress garrison

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130181449429&ssPageName=...

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Re: New Documentary "Death March"
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2008, 3:31pm

2/19/08
From Rainer:

"To update you on 'Death March Of Bataan' I am coming to the last shots  -  which is the hospital (Zero Ward). Will keep you updated."

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2008, 6:31am

I have just seen some of the stills from the new film 'Death March Of Bataan'. WOW excellent stills. Thank you Director Rainer Loeser for providing us the images.

Fox

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2008, 9:15pm

Death March Of Bataan under United Movietone Pictures and Directed by Rainer Loeser has been accepted into the 23rd Annual Fort Lauderdale Int'l Film Festival. It will screen on Monday, November 10th as part of our tribute to veterans.

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Re: New Documentary "Death March" in film festival
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2008, 6:27am

Who might  be near Ft Lauderdale, FL, on Monday, November 10, 2008, and could go watch the new documentary,  Death March of Bataan, and follow up with a written review/report  here?

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2008, 5:15pm

Rainer,
Sometime ago I was writing to Col Clarke's daughter, Jean Brent, and she mentioned her father had an interesting life.  He picked out his own college, Miliatry Academy of New York, and traveled there from the West Coast.  And his being relieved from the 57th PS Regiment offered a chance to go to the US and try to get food for the soldiers on Bataan/Corregidor.  Finally when a neutral nation ship was found the Japs announcesd that they would sink it when it tried to land.  

She mentioned the Army did use her father, giving him meaningless duty assignments.  That their phones were tapped.  And after the war durilng the filming of Back To Bataan he was its Technical Advisor.  And during its filming there were all kinds of fighting among the different entities. (director actors, etc).  So probably a story about Col Clarke would be very informative.  Jean Brent was living in Tuscon, Arizona and I have her address if you are interested.  In her letter to lme said mentioned her father's story needs telling.  I asked Col Olson about him doing a book on Col Clarke but he begged off saying his closeness to the Colonel might give rise to using favoritism in coloring the Colonel's actions.

If interested I have Jean's Tucson address, no phone number though.

Regards,

Thomas MGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2008, 3:23am

'Death March of Bataan' directed by Rainer Loeser under United Movietone Pictures will screen at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival at Cinema Paradio Tuesday November 11, 12.35pm.

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Re: New Documentary "Death March" in film festival
Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2008, 3:27am

Rainbow Trout  aka Sue wrote on Sep 5th, 2008, 6:27am:
Who might  be near Ft Lauderdale, FL, on Monday, November 10, 2008, and could go watch the new documentary,  Death March of Bataan, and follow up with a written review/report  here?

Please note. The date has been changed to Tuesday November 11, 12.35pm. It will screen at Cineman Paradio theatre.

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:18pm

United Movietone Pictures is looking for a distributor in the U.S. for the film' Death March Of Bataan' Please email us at unitedmovietone@yahoo.com.au

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2009, 1:23am

'Death March Of Bataan' directed by Rainer Loeser under United Movietone Pictures is being represented by ITN Distribution at this years Cannes Film festival.

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2010, 1:33am

Film Director Rainer Loeser under United Movietone Pictures has just released 'Secrets Of Santo Tomas,' trailer in You Tube.

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2010, 5:17am

Film Director Rainer Loeser, under United Movietone Pictures continues to give viewers WW2 entertainment. His new trailers ' Kamikaze' and 'Bombs Over Australia' are well worth watching.

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - Aug 2nd, 2010, 5:35am

Film Director Rainer Loeser under United Movietone Pictures is shooting yet another WWII production. Following the success of 'Siege of Corregidor', and 'Death March Of Bataan', he is currently in Townsville, Australia filming 'Americans In Townsville 42', Bunkers, underground tunnels, and gun emplacement left behind after WWII, are featured in the new film.

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2010, 5:43am

Known to the Americans as Base Section 2, it was developed into a major base.  1,500 American personal arrived in January 1942, and 5,000 were there by March. General Douglas MacArthur visited Townsville on a number of occasions. Townsville was bombed by the Japanese in 1942. New film coming from Director Rainer Loeser under United Movietone Pictures.

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2010, 10:36pm

Film Director Rainer Loeser is an Australian film director, who resides in Cairns, Queensland, Australia. Working under United Movietone Pictures he continues to this day shooting WW2 Pacific stories, so that future generations will never forget the men on Bataan and other names, and places where so many American and Allied troops gave up their lives fighting the Japanese.

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #15 - Oct 10th, 2010, 4:42am

Townsville in Australia, rapidly became one of the largest allied bases during the Pacific campaign with most public buildings, warehouses, offices and houses leased by Australian and American forces.
The Allied military forces had occupied 177 dwellings in Townsville. These buildings were mostly used by the U.S. Military. From Director Rainer Loeser, under United Movietone Pictures, comes his new film' Americans In Townsville 42'

IP Logged
FOX
YaBB Newbies

Reply #16 - Nov 9th, 2010, 6:55am

Film Director Rainer Loeser new film 'Yanks in Townsville' In the early hours of the morning, 7 August 1943, one of the worst air disasters occurred not far from Townsville. A twin-engine C47 with 23 Americans abroad and a Australian crew of 4, was flying from Garbutt Airfield in Townsville to Archerfield Airbase in Brisbane. Shortly after take-off, an unknown failure occurred causing the aircraft to crash somewhere in Cleveland Bay, with the loss of all lives.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print