Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
God Grades on a Curve (Read 6343 times)
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
God Grades on a Curve
Nov 27th, 2007, 3:59pm

"God Grades on a Curve"

I returned home from college one weekend and told Mom (who was in her 60s) about a funny sign on campus: God Grades on a Curve.  It should have elicited a humorous, witty remark; instead, the reaction was one of unimaginable horror.  Mama burst into tears and great sobbing - with moans the sounds of something never before heard, and the physical likes of something never before seen, and she frightened me. I got her seated and wondered, "What is it ... what did  I  say to cause all this." She had never, never-ever cried and this was something she was doing with such tremendous emotions that I was freightened, so scared - that I did not know what to do.

You see, my Mama did not cry. Mama was strong. Mama solved problems. Mama saw humor in almost everything. This wasn't the Mama I had know for 20-some years and I was very scared ... and very glad Dad was not at home because he would have been yelling at me, wanting to know what I had done to cause Mama to cry.

After many minutes she said in a shaky voice, "I certainly hope not."

I asked, "Why?" and she  replied, "If God graded on a curve, I'd never get in to heaven because they skewed the entry score for heaven so high that if I did nothing but good for every day of the rest of my life, I could still never do enough good to equal what they did."

That speaks volumes.
An Angel of Bata'an and Corregidor who was a very good woman in her life-time, thought the Scouts and the other defenders of Bata'an and Corregidor had so much faith and did such good works on Bata'an and Corregidor, they skewed the entry score for heaven so high that she could never do enough good to be let in.  

She was crying because she would never be with them, the heroes of an Angel of Bata'an, she would always be outside, looking in,  if God grades on a curve.

Mama is Arkansas/Oklahoma/Texas late 1800s early 1900s  dialect  for Momma

"God Grades on a Curve" ©   2007, the Flying Column Writing Project, Lt Col Walter Landry, Richard Seron, JD, and Sue Trout  
Posted  on  www.Philippine-Scouts.org message board
Sue Trout, Kirkland, WA
© Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License
You are free:
to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit this work
to Remix — to adapt this work
Under the following conditions:
Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.  "http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/"
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License    
Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2008, 11:07pm by Rainbow Trout  aka Sue »  
WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
arm61uic
YaBB Newbies

IL
Re: God Grades on a Curve
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2007, 3:26am

I am the son of a living Bataan defender, a Philippine Scout who served in Co. C, 12th Medical Bn. (PS) during the Battle of the Philippines. I regularly assign Dr. Elizabeth Norman's book, We Band of Angels, for my students to read as one way of understanding WW II in my "US History Since 1877" class I teach here in the Chicago, Illinois, area.  

I would like to read aloud Sue Trout's posting about her mother's reaction to that statement to my students after they have read the book and then written an essay on it. However, I am quite sure that I will not be able to get through it without becoming very emotional. I think that I will have to have one of my students do that for me.

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2007, 2:43am

Yes, go ahead and use  the piece for your classes.  

"God Grades on a Curve"
(c) 2007, the Flying Column Writing Project
Lt Col Walter Landry, Richard Seron, JD, and Sue Trout,  

located at,  www.Philippine-Scouts.org message board

Creative Commons License
"http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/"
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License

You are free:
to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.
Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:26am by Rainbow Trout  aka Sue »  
arm61uic
YaBB Newbies

IL
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2008, 12:45am

Sue - - - thanks for the permission. I believe that I did write an email about my father, SFC Ricardo R. Maravillas (USA, Ret.). He lives with my mother in Fairfield, CA, their home since Sept. 1956.

He told me that while he was assigned to the 12th Med. Bn. (which occurred just after the war's outbreak; he had previously been a soldier in Co. C, 14th Engineers Bn. since his enlistment in March 1941), he served for a time on Bataan as a runner. While doing so, on a few occasions he observed, but never directly interacted with, the Angels of Bataan and Corregidor as they did their work. My Dad remembers them as mature-looking , serious women, dressed in coveralls, busy attending to their many patients at Hospital No. 2 in Little Baguio.      

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2008, 1:08am

I must have deleted it when I ran my spam filter;  I thank you for writing again. Your dad was one of the young ones and the nurses were nurses-first in every aspect of their lives. Several were older women. Mom was in her mid 30s during the war and she called the soldiers, "my babies",  because they were so young. She wrote that  she thought many of them looked on her as  their momma. She truly loved every one of them.

When I look at photos of Scouts I have received (along with their stories from a few special people) I know I am looking into the beautiful  youthful faces of teens and 20 years olds who have a glowing innocence in their faces, so innocent of what is to come and therein,  I see "her babies" - so very young - the age of my son at 21, joyful, innocent, trusting, not prepared for everything life will throw a him, like her "babies".

I am thankful to the Scouts for being so supportive of me and I catch a glimpses of why Mama always loved them in speaking with them. I see they are  still innocent in their knowledge  of all the good Mama  saw them do.  And yes, I think some of today's Scouts may  have been one of her  young "babies", her sons.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print