Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tony Castillo (Read 3423 times)
dhause
YaBB Newbies

NE
Tony Castillo
Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:45pm

I am seeking information on Tony Castillo (full name:  Antonio del Castillo), my fatherís first cousin.  He was born in 1928, and I believe he was originally from Vigan, Ilocos Sur.  To the best of my knowledge, he served in the Philippine Scouts in 1944-45, and at one point was stationed at Herington (KS) Army Air Field.  He re-enlisted in the Army in Montana on August 30, 1946, and was assigned to the Hawaiian Department.  I would be pleased to hear from anyone who knew him, and I would especially like to find out whether he is still living or has a family I could get in touch with.  Thank you for any assistance you can provide.  I can be reached at debhause@yahoo.com.

« Last Edit: Nov 03rd, 2007, 8:10am by dhause »  

Deborah
debhause   IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Tony Castillo
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:34am

The U.S. Army didn't begin to rebuild the Philippine Scouts until after the liberation of the Philippines, so your relative would not have been inducted until late 1945 at the earliest.  He also would have been too young before then, as the enlistment age was at least 18.  He may have been with a guerrilla unit in 1944-5.  It's also possible he was a post-WWII Scout.  If so, it would be helpful to know in what unit or type of unit (i.e. infantry, cavalry, artillery, support).

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
dhause
YaBB Newbies

NE
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:11pm

Thank you for your insights!  I am new at this, and your guidance really helps.  All I have to go on so far are 3 postcards he sent to my grandparents in 1944-45 and his WWII enlistment record from archives.gov.  In the 3 postcards he sent, he is clearly in the armed forces already.  He lists his rank as S/Sgt.  (is that staff sergeant?).  On one card he lists his location as Phoenix, Arizona.  Another is postmarked Pueblo, CO, and in it he says that he is on his way to Utah.  The third is postmarked from San Antonio, TX, but his return address is Herington A.A.F., which I know is in Kansas.  His enlistment record shows that he enlisted in Sidney, Montana, on 8/30/46.  Rank is given as private, term of enlistment is Hawaiian Dept., and component of the army is Philippine Scouts (Officers and Enlisted Men).  His year of birth is given as 1928.

Does all this make sense?  I realize that he would have had to be 16 years old when he initially enlisted in 1944.  Is that possible, or have I found the wrong person's enlistment record?  I wish I knew what type of unit he was in.  Is that information somewhere in the enlistment record?  Also, is it even possible that he enlisted in the Philippine Scouts in 1946?  I thought the Scouts were disbanded in 1946.

Perhaps if I am able to obtain his military records, I will be better equipped to find him.   Is it possible to obtain military records for individuals who are still living (he may still be alive)?  I should add that I have no living relatives who can provide me with any further information on Tony Castillo.  Thanks for your help!!

Deborah
debhause   IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:36pm

dhause,

I got what you mentioned, a re enlistment record.  It says he re enlisted in Montana.  I have run into this with Filipinos that never left PI.  And they re enlisted for Hawaii which some never saw.  I think this was for economic reasons, charge a Filipino off to a State that needed some bodies.  So, chances are Tony Castillo didn't see Montana, but you have  postcards from other places which shows he made it here.

I have some Antonio del Castillos living in parts of the US up to 2002.  Maybe they could be relatives of who you are looking for or the one you are seeking.  If you have access to ancestry.com that is where the residences and phone numbers are in addition to census and military records.  No military was on Ancestor.com for Tony, though.

Here are the latest phone numbers, 2002, I have.

Richmond, VA    804-323-3488
Sacramento, CA   916-452-0947

I will list the other numbers has they might yield more information which you could use.

Avenal, CA          559-386-9541
Port Charlotte, Florida   941-764-6219
Richmond, VA    804-270-5967
     "           "     804-673-0476

Wish you luck in your search.

Regards

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
dhause
YaBB Newbies

NE
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2007, 7:57pm

I admit that I hadn't logged in for a few weeks, and when I logged in this evening I was so happy to see your message, Tom!  I am really grateful for your efforts; perhaps they will result in my locating Tony.  I will do some more research on these people you turned up and then maybe try phoning some of them.  Thanks again.  If I succeed in finding him or any of his descendants, I will let you know.

Deborah
debhause   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print