Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Teofilo Yldefonso (Read 3402 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Teofilo Yldefonso
Oct 30th, 2007, 3:57pm

I am also trying to get information about Teofilo Yldefonso, a philippine scout who also died in the Bataan Death March.  He won the bronze medals in swimming in 1928 and 1932 olympics. What is very interesting is the Japanese won the gold medal on that event. The Japanese swimmer was with the Imperial  forces in the philippines and tried to get his release. They refused and he was among the casualties. He hailed from Piddig, Ilocos and was known as the Ilocano Shark. I am just an amateur historian but very curious about these 2 olympians.

Nestor Palugod Enriquez www.filipinohome.com
Coming to America

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Teofilo Yldefonso
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2007, 12:21am

Nestor,

I couldn't find any POW records for Teofilo, but the Ollympic games of 1928 and 1932 had him a bronze medal winner in the Breaststroke.  Also in the 1928 games both Johnny Weissmuller and Buster Crabbbe swam for the United States.  Filipinos have won 9 Olympic medals and Teofilo was the 1st and in 1932 its  2nd winner.  In the 1932 games 3 Filipinos won medals, all bronze.  Teofilo in breaststroke, Simeon Torribio a high jumper and Jose "Cely" Villanueva, a bantam-
weight boxer.

I will be looking at the Japanese gold medal winner who interceded for Teodilo, and maybe we can have a story with more information.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
nestor_enriquez
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2007, 1:43pm

Yldefonso might be under Ildefonso as it is pronounced the same way. Teofilo competed in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin (last olympics before WWII) but he only placed 7th on the final event.

Yldefonso(Ildefonso) fought gallantly in Bataan. Though he survived the infamous “Death March,” he later perished at the Capas Concentration Camp. His rank was Lt.

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 1:40am

Nestor,

Had hoped to get some more information on Yoshiyuki Tsuruta, the Japanese winner of the 200 meters Breaststroke in 1928 and 1932.  All I came up with is born October 1, 1903 and died July 24, 1986.  He was from Manchuria.

I will keep looking as I want to present the story where he intercedes for Teofilo Ildefonso, the Filipino Bronze Medal winner in the same events as Yoshiyuki.  It was on the Bataan Death March but to no avail.  Teofilo made the March but died later on at Capas Concentration Camp.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print