Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scouts (Read 2552 times)
kmouse
YaBB Newbies

Arkansas
Scouts
Oct 24th, 2007, 3:33pm

Hello,
I am searching for anyone that might have known my grandfather.  George U. McConnaughhay he was a prisoner of war WWII. at the camp Fukoka. He was with the infantry philippine scout division.  He was an american.  If anyone knows anything about him or has any pictures of the division he was with.  I would greatly appreciate sharing.

Thanks.
Kim Smith
ARM or SERVICE: Infantry
Subordinate Unit: E Company
Assigned Unit: 31st Infantry Regiment (US)
Parent Unit: Philippine Division
Report Date: 5-7-1942
State of Residence: 87 Arkansas
Area: 45 Southwest Pacific Theatre: Philippine Islands
Last Report Date: 11-5-1945
Detaining Power: Japan
Camp: Fukuoka POW Camp #1 Kashii (Pine Tree Camp) Kyushu Island 33-130
Grade Alpha Designation: PVT
Grade Code: 8
Term of Enlistment: 7 Enlistment for the Philippine Division
This is all the information I have on him.  I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2007, 12:26pm by kmouse »  
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Scouts
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2007, 5:18pm

If your grandfather was an American sergeant, he almost certainly was 31st Infantry, which was not a Philippine Scout unit.  Scout enlisted men and noncommissioned officers were Filipino.  Ninety percent of the commissioned officers were American, the remainder Filipino.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Re: Scouts
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2007, 7:30pm

Kim,

Your grandfather was taken to Japan in mid-1944 aboard the Hellship Nissyo Maru.  He was held at Camp Fukuoka #23 until liberation.  See:

http://www.mansell.com/pow_resources/camplists/fukuoka/fuk_23_keisen/fuku_23_Kei...

The NARA records stating he was held at Fukuoka #1 (Pine Tree Camp) are in error.  The Pine Tree camp designation was a catch all category for pretty much anyone who was held in a Fukuoka camp.

Best regards,
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print