Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
76th Ordnance Am Co. (PS) APO 1009 (Read 2494 times)
nathan
YaBB Newbies

76th Ordnance Am Co. (PS) APO 1009
Aug 30th, 2007, 5:08pm

Hello everyone out there,  is there anybody who knew my father, Lino Zipagan PS10 307 649 Private First Class 76th Ordnance Am Co. (PS) APO 1009, he was discharged from service December 31, 1948 as Clerk General No. 55.  He passed away in 1994 in the Philippines at the age of 70 as a retired High School Head Teacher.

I am Nathaniel Zipagan, his aldest son, I would be very happy if somebody could give me some info about his Company and what they did during those days.

I shall consider any info to be imparted to me as part of the important legacy he left  to me and to his entire family.

Thank you very much

Respectfully,

Nathaniel Zipagan
ziptracker@gmail.com    

IP Logged
aibagley
YaBB Newbies

Alabama
Re: 76th Ordnance Am Co. (PS) APO 1009
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:48am

Dear Nathan,

Lino was on the roster of the 76th Ord Ammo Co (PS) when we left Sub Base "R", APO 1009 in Lipa Batangas in early 1947 destined for Saipan, APO 244 in the Marianas.  I was company First Sergeant and Lino was one of about 200 men in the company.  Unfortunately I cannot recall him personally.  It has been so many years ago.

However, the 76th was in charge of disposing of the tons of ammunition left on the island after the war.  It had been a major staging area for the anticipated invasion of Japan and was covered with all kinds of supplies in open storage.  Our job was to locate all the ammunition storage areas, classify what we found and either recover the serviceable items or dispose of the unserviceables.  Most of the disposition was performed by dumping the items at sea.  Not a good solution by today's standards but standard procedure at that time.

Lino was either an ammunition handler or had a clerical job in depot operations.  If I find any more information about him I will share it with you.

Sincerely,

Aniceto I. Bagley

aibagley
  IP Logged
aibagley
YaBB Newbies

Alabama
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:26pm

Nathan,

I forgot to mention that you should go to the topic Units on this message board, then go to 76th Ord Ammo Co (PS).  There is information there on other members of the 76th.  You might contact the decendants and share information.

Aniceto

aibagley
  IP Logged
nathan
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 2:39pm

Dear Mr. Bagley,

Thank you very much for the valuable info you shared me, and i'm really happy about it.

I'll try your advice to go to the units and interact with the other guys.

Regards and God bless.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print