Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Miguel S. White, (Fil-Am) 1936 Olympics, Bronze M (Read 8878 times)
Romeo
YaBB Newbies

Miguel S. White, (Fil-Am) 1936 Olympics, Bronze M
May 26th, 2007, 2:26am

To anyone that can help,

My name is Romeo Nelson.  I served in the U.S. Marine Corps for over 29 years and currently residing in Tampa, Florida.  My mother (Norma White Nelson) passed away in 1995 and I have always wanted to find out information about my grandfather, Miguel S. White.   I have very little information to go on, as she was not as forthcoming with past historical data.  I can only remember some pictures (with no identifying names associated with them) and a 1936 Olympic Bronze plaque which used to hang on the wall in her house.  I recall the plaque had the 400 meter event, 3rd place with his name inscribed on it.  

As I am now entering the latter part of my life and my children are grown, I have this very strong desire to seek the truth/facts about my grandfather.  The dates listed in the subject line above were taken from my initial research on the internet.   Before my mother passed away, she had stated that Miguel S. White (her father) was a Philippine Scout and was killed during the war (Bataan??).  The data I’ve researched reflected his dates of: DOB 1909-1942.  Assuming his death occurred in 1942, it would coincide with the date of the Bataan March.

Please help if you can or point me in the right direction that will provide more definitive information concerning my grandfather.  I intend to travel to the Philippines this coming fall to retrace the Bataan March route, all the way to Capas National Monument where I’ve read that they have a list of all Filipino casualties of the Bataan March.

Thank you in advance for all that you can do!

Semper Fidelis!

Romeo Nelson, Major, USMC (Retired)
3601 West Pearl Avenue
Tampa, Florida 33611
Tel no: 813-839-6785 home
            813-892-1987 cell
Email: romeo.nelson2@verizon.net

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2007, 10:20am by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Miguel S. White, (Fil-Am) 1936 Olympics, Bronz
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2007, 10:18am

Dear Maj. Nelson,

First please know that there are many family members who have suffered
for decades with similar stories like yours. My Uncle Maj. Karol Anthony
Bauer died during US attacks on Jap Hell Ships Dec. 14 & 15 1944 in Subic Bay.
My uncle survived the Death March, but maybe it was a blessing that he died
from American bullets ending his suffering - rather than in other more unthinkable ways.

I started my search also about this time about 5 years ago. My uncles mother, six sisters, and one serving brother would never talk about Uncle Karol's death to us kids. Karol has 25 nephews and nieces, and one surviving daughter, Nancy Grace Bauer Earnest - living in Miami, FL. Karol's wife and daughter were returned from the Philippines a few months before the Jap attacks at Pearl Harbor. My cousin Nancy was also not given any information about her father all this time -all due to the heart break and wanting to forget. From my search beginning at West Point, and finding this message board - I finally connected with my cousin who I had never met - she now is 68 years old, myself 56. Maj. Bauer's sole surviving
sister is my mother, Antoinette Bauer - and she has few memories of her brother visiting her at the family farm in Hammondsport, New York during his 'school' vacations.

I received an e mail about one year ago from Nancy' s husband Walter Earnest who was researching his own past Army connections. It was when he focused on the lapel unit pin
of the 45th Inf. P.S. that he found the P.S.H.S site - and he contacted me. My mother and I were absolutely overcome with joy finding our lost Niece/cousin Nancy.

We have met - they coming to Connecticut for our reunion. We both have photos that the other have never seen and we tell each other tiny memories of Karol - helping us bring him
back to us. I woke up the other morning crying from thoughts about my uncle - such a loss -
a life he missed. My bond is as a son's - not a nephew. Many times growing up, my mother would comment to me how I reminded her of her brother Karol. I enclose a photo of Maj. Bauer as he graduated from West Point June 1936. I look just like him, not like my own father.

I pray you hear something from someone out there that brings some peace to you.

I never have a bad day because of my uncle's memory.

Maj. Nelson, thank you for your serving our country, and my prayers will include
you, and your family. I know your Grandfather is in your hearts everyday.

Sincerely,

Creighton Demarest
17 Lake Drive
Darien, CT. 06020-3122

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2007, 7:31pm

Miguel S. White (September 10, 1909 - 1942) was a Filipino athlete of Filipino-American descent. He competed for the Philippines in the 400 meter hurdles at the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin, Germany. He won the Bronze Medal in the 400 meter hurdles..

I will be posting another message about free public access to ancestry.com  through June 6, 2007. ALL , military records,  and WWII war news film, are available. Look  under the "general" tab.

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2007, 8:07am

Read your email via pshs website. I survived the death march and concentrated in Camp O’Donnell. I suggest that when you visit the Philippines you try to trace Miguel White at Fort McKinley Memorial Cemetery near Global Ciity in Makati. Also check the wall built by the Battling Bastards of Bataan in Camp O’Donnell, Capas. RP.

The 4th Marine Regt. fought with us in Bataan. Our 3rd Bn., 45th Inf PS relieved the marines at The Cave, at the western coast and suffered 65% casualty. All officers were killed or WIA except Lt. (Col) Lawrence Pierce they could hardly form a platoon. Our 2nd Bn., 45th Inf PS were ready to reinforce them. But the 3rd Bn wipe the enemy out. It was a bloody firefight at the Points and The Caves. Wish you luck to find Miguel White. His name should be listed in one of the two mentioned resting place. Have a nice day.

Fred Foz
Maj. AUS, 45th Inf. PS

Major Foz is a past president of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society.  He now lives in Hawaii.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
James Litton
YaBB Newbies

Philippines
Reply #4 - May 29th, 2007, 7:44am

Dear Major Nelson:

I am the Philippine representative of the Battling Bastards of Bataan, an organization of American Bataan veterans,  founded by the late Maj. Richard M. Gordon of the 31st Infantry Regiment. I am a Filipino and a resident of Metro Manila.

When I read your letter to the Philippine Scouts Heritage, I immediately searched for your late grandfather's name in the data base of the American Battle Monuments in the hope that Miguel S. White might be listed in the Wall of the Missing or interred in the Manila American Cemetery. The data base did not have your late grandfather's name, which means that: either the late Miguel S. White was not a member of the Philippine Scouts or he was but his remains were found, identified, and interred somewhere else.

On the premise that your late grandfather may not have been a member of the Philippines Scouts, I called the office of the Philippine Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor (DBC) and asked their very helpful staff to research the data base of the Philippine Army in the hope that Miguel S. While might be listed there.

This morning, Tuesday, May 29, a staff member of the DBC called me and informed me that they found your late grandfather's name in the Philippine Army roster. The late Miguel White was a lieutenant in the 52nd Infantry Regiment of the Philippine Army and is listed as Missing in Action. I will get more details tomorrow.

I am wondering if you have relatives here in the Philippines considering that  your late grandfather's mother may have been a Filipina. It is the custom here to adopt the mother's maiden name as one's middle name. The middle initial "S" of your late grandfather may stand for the first letter of the maiden name of your maternal great grandmother.

If you are coming to the Philippines this year, do not hesitate to get in touch with me through e-mail for any assistance I may be able to extend to make your visit more fruitful.

Best wishes,

James Litton
Philippine Representative
Battling Bastards of Bataan

IP Logged
nestor_enriquez
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2007, 12:41pm

Miguel S White was the only Filipino medal winner in the 1936 Olympics. The 1936 Olympics was Hitler's showcase and famous for the Jesse Owens gold medal track performance. Your grandfather must have met him and this was the last olympics before the WWII.
I am also trying to get information about Teofilo Yldefonso, a philippine scout who also died in the Bataan Death March.  He won the bronze medals in swimming in 1928 and 1932 olympics. What is very interesting is the Japanese won the gold medal on that event. The Japanese swimmer was with the Imperial  forces in the philippines and tried to get his release. They refused and he was among the casualties. He hailed from Piddig, Ilocos and was known as the Ilocano Shark. I am just an amateur historian but very curious about these 2 olympians.

Nestor Palugod Enriquez
www.filipinohome.com
Coming to America

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery.
Today is a gift,and that's why we call it the present.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print