Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Praise for Philippine Scouts (Read 3047 times)
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Praise for Philippine Scouts
Apr 28th, 2007, 4:22pm

This rare wartime publication titled "Bataan, Remember the Philippines" has an article with an American naval officer's praise for the Scouts. (Click thumbnails for bigger readable version)

Other pages from the publication:

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Praise for Philippine Scouts
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2007, 5:48pm

Victor,

Great article, and well deserved praise for the PS by Lt Hoffman.  The first battle he refers to was the Battle of the Points, where Gen Hoffa lost a whole Japanese Battalion, 900 + soldiers, for no gain whatsoever.  I think this is where the famous saying,  "OK Joe, we are here now & you can fall back" started.  When the Scouts arrived on the scene of battle and relieved the "airmen without planes, sailors without ships who had been "pushed into" infantry companies.  "OK Joe, we are hear now!!"  Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this saying, attibuted to the Scouts, was used when the Scouts relieved the "Provisional Infantry Battalions".

This does not take away any of the brave fighting of these sailors without ships or airmen without airplanes, but when the enemy was identified and his numbers ascetained, help was needed and the Scouts were called in.  "OK Joe, was the greeting the PS gave the soldiers they were relieving.

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Re: Praise for Philippine Scouts
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2007, 6:18pm

Hi Tom,

Yes, in the book "Bataan, Our Last Ditch", they were supposed to have said "Okay Joe, I take over now..." or something like that.   The article also mispelled Longoskawayan as Longuistuan. And mentioned April 9 as the fall of Corregidor (typo?).

I'll look for more good tidbits to share.

Victor

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print