Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Major Campbell Hodges Snyder, 14th Engr Regt (PS) (Read 4883 times)
Chris_Schaefer
YaBB Administrator

Texas
Major Campbell Hodges Snyder, 14th Engr Regt (PS)
Apr 23rd, 2007, 7:22pm

I am seeking information and or photos of Major Campbell Hodges Snyder (US Army Corps of Engineers).  He was in the Phillipines and became a POW during WW II.  I believe he was a Phillipine Scout.

Thank you, Dabney Smith

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2007, 10:27pm by Editor-at-Large »  
WWW   IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Re: Major Campbell Hodges Snyder
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:28pm

Dabney,
Maj. C.H. Snyder was with the 14th Engr Regt (PS).  I have no information on were he was surrendered, but he was held at Davao Penal Colony until brought to Manila in mid 1944.  Maj. Snyder was one of almost 800 men loaded into the rear hold of the Oryoku Maru on 13 Dec 44.  Official records record his death as 15 Dec. 44.  It seems likely he was killed when a bomb struck the rear hold that day.  Much of the debris and blast from the bomb struck a portion of the hold that was occupied by a group of Majors and they suffered extreme casualties.  It's also possible that he was one who died earlier in the suffocating bedlam of the holds somewhere between 13-15 Dec, or that he was shot during the evacuation of the ship.  Unfortunately, I've never come across any personal information about Maj. Snyder.
Best regards,
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2007, 4:32pm

Dabney,

I also found some of what Jim Erickson reported.  Because the ship was the Oryoka Maru I looked at Manny Lawton"s book "Some Survived"  Manny was also on Mindaneo, but in the Army Air Force.  In his book he has the names of various servicemen he came in contact with.  I searched a few pages but Major Snyder wasn't listed.  You might want to get this book and do a more thorough search

One thing it has though is a list of all the dead from the sinking of the Oryoks Maru.  This list was used in the court proceedings against the various Jap officers involved.  This book also lists the court findings and photos of the different Jap officers.

I have an address for Maj Snyder that I don't know if you know about so I will enclose it.

Campbell H. Snyder - 1301 Ten-Eighth Way, Sacramento,
California

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2007, 9:54pm

Tom,

The list in Lawton's book includes survivors and victims of the ships.  It was first unearthed and printed in the Oryoku Maru story by Art Beale, Ed Konik, Loyd Mills, and Charles M Brown.  You can find it online:
http://www.oryokumaruonline.org/oryoku_maru_story.html

Lawton's book is excellent and a must read, but it does suffer a bit from the editors hand, failing memory, and being an attempt to tell more than one man's story.  You might be surprised to find out, for example, that Lawton was actually in the forward hold of the Oryoku Maru and was not an eyewitness to Frank Bridget's heroics in the aft hold.   There are other examples where it's not quite clear where Lawton is reporting what he saw or whether he's telling stories passed along by others.  I don't mean to be overly critical in this.  Some Survived is a gripping account and a very good entry into the hellships story, anyone interested in POWs of the Japanese should read it.

I think the most complete and up-to-date Oryoku Maru roster available to the public is one I posted at:
http://www.west-point.org/family/japanese-pow/Rosters.htm

You can find some summary tables and rosters of survivors at:
http://people.tamu.edu/~jwerickson/POW/OMrosterguide.html

I've been working on these on and off for about seven years using every reference I could get my hands on.  There are still unknowns and contradictions, but it's getting very close to a full accounting of the men who made the voyage.

Best regards,
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2007, 8:58pm

Jim.

Thanks for the update on your Hell Ships work.  I have your list, now, and I want to thank you.  I have a list I got from  http://www.7th-materail.org/Hellships.html.  It is only 2 pages and I will try to send as attachments later on.  You might already be familiar with it, as it lists places and people on the internet that are concerned with different Hell Ships.  

I read in one of my over 100 books on this period of time and in one of them the author describes Cmdr Bridgets efforts to get control of the hold he was in.  The author give Bridget credit and mentions that he, the author didn't get along with Bridget because of an earlier experience between the two.  (I think the author was an Army officer and a pilot, also.  But I don't remember the tiltle of that book).

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print