Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2nd Provisional FA and 88th FA(PS)? (Read 3883 times)
Shane_B.
YaBB Newbies

2nd Provisional FA and 88th FA(PS)?
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:54pm

I'd like to learn more about the 2nd Provisional Field Artillery, which I've been told was under the command of Col. Ghannal. My relative, a U.S. Army Captain named Clyde "Ted" Kern, MD, was reportedly briefly assigned to this unit prior to the surrender at Bataan. We have Ted's personal notes suggesting he may also have been assigned to the 88th FA for a brief period.

Anyone here who can help me, or direct me to a good resource for these two units?

Thank you!

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:11pm by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: 2nd Provisional FA and 88th FA(PS)?
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2007, 8:42pm

Pages 162-176 of The Philippine Scouts edited by Col. John E. Olson discusses the 88th Field Artillery Battalion.  Information on ordering this book is available on the bibliography page of our PSHS website.  Editor

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:12pm by Editor-at-Large »  

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 1:02pm

Col. Mel Rosen, a veteran of the 88th Field Artillery (PS), passed on the following comment:  

"I have no knowledge of a 2d Provisional FA.  Nobody named Kern was in the 88th FA."

Col. Rosen has written a book entitled "History of the Philippine Scouts Field Artillery". It is available at any of the  following libraries: Library of Congress; National Archives; U.S. Army Military History Institute (Carlisle Barracks); PSHS Museum (San Antonio); Office of Chief of Military History; and USMA Library at West Point.

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Shane_B.
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 9:31pm

I'm basing my question on the following references to the existence of the 2nd Prov FA:

* Page 195 of Louis Morton's "Fall of the Philippines" includes a reference to a "detachment from Lt. Col. David S. Babc0ck's 2d Provisional Group of SPMs."

* Seperately, a U.S. Army doctor, Capt. Bleich, has a diary entry refering to Capt. Kern, saying the two men were with the 2nd Provisional Field Artillery, a Philippine Scout unit under the command of Col. Ghannal, an Academy graduate.  Later in his diary, he said he and Kern were driving a Ford Pambusco bus loaded with their medical supplies, following the 2nd Provisional FA to Lingayen, in their abortive attempt to stop the Japanese on the beaches of northern Luzon, prior to retreating into Bataan. Dr. Bleich's diary also states that it was discovered Kern had very poor night vision and was subsequently tranfered out of the 2nd Prov. F.A.

* And when Capt. Kern was debriefed following release from his POW camp in Taiwan in 1945, he also stated he had been with the "2nd Prov. F.A. Bn (SPM)" prior to surrender.

I'm afraid I have no personal information or knowledge that would allow me to reconcile these multiple, independent references with Col. Rosen's information and would not take issue with Col. Rosen's knowledge, but would certainly welcome any insight that would help me understand.

Thank you very much!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print