Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lt Edward Von Geldern, Jr (Read 9315 times)
ord510

AZ
Lt Edward Von Geldern, Jr
Mar 24th, 2007, 1:35pm

Lt Edward Von Geldern, Jr attended my "alma mater", Santa Clara University.  While he didn't complete his 4th year, enlisting in the US Army instead, I wanted to find out as much as I could.  He is the only known Santa Clara student I found that was on the Bataan Death March.  I have been studying this sad occasion in the US Army since high school, 1955.

Lt Von Geldern is mentioned in Hampton Sides, "Ghost Soldiers" where Captain Prince mentions he will be rescuing an old friend with the raid on Cabanatuan.  He and Lt Von Geldern served together before Pearl Harbor.  Then Lt Von Geldern went to the Philippines.  Some of you might have read it in the book.

There is no POW record on Lt Von Geldern, no census record, only that he attended Santa Clara as an engineering student who didn't finish his 4th year.  I found an Otto Von Geldern in San Francisco as an engineer, but no family.  Also, an Edward Von Geldern is living in Hawaii.  While there is some doubt whether he was in a Philippine Scout outfit, it is a starting point.  He was an Artillery officer, but unit is unknown.  Any Help!!

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Re: Lt Edward Von Geldern, Jr
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2007, 2:35pm

Hi Tom:  I also am researching an Army Bataan Death March (deceased) relative, Lt. Col. Alexander G. Olsen, so I have some places to search that may help:

National Battlefield Monuments: http://www.abmc.gov/wardead/index.php

American Defenders of Bataan: http://harrisonheritage.com/adbc/

Allied POWs in Japan Listings: http://www.mansell.com/

If he was 26th Cavalry, or Headquarters Phillipine Division, my g. Uncle may have known him.

Hope this helps!

Peter

petrao57   IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2007, 3:17pm

Peter,

Sorry it tool so long to get back to you.  Thanks for the input.  I have just sent a letter to:

Department of the Army
U.S. Total Army Personnel Command (TAPC)
ATTN:  TAPC-PED-F
2461 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22331-0482     Attention:  Public Affairs

You might want to try it, too.  Do you use ancestry.com and NARA "aad"?  The last one is free, but ancestry requires a fee.  Ancestry, in addition to Military, gives census, death, marriage (some states) and Passenger ship sailing lists.  It also gives WW I draft registration, which has the persons employer and wife's name.

Thank you very much for the input and I wish you well in your research.

Regards

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2007, 6:10pm

Peter,

I just got a letter that Lt Von Geldern wasn't in the Philippines.  During the time of the Deat March he was on Hawaii.  In 1946 he was Honorably Discharged.

I have two new sites to use with missing veterans.

The National PersonnelRecords Center (NPRC) website at:
        http://www.archives-gov/st-louis/military-personnel/public/general-public.html.

Americans lost during our nation's wars:

www.dtic.mil/dpmo.

These two web sites might be of some help.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2009, 9:20pm

Thanks Tom- I just got this ----seems I am not getting the motifications.  I will check these out too!

Peter

petrao57   IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #5 - May 8th, 2009, 2:21pm

I just came across this information for an engineering firm that shows an Edward von Geldern (deceased) on their letter head. There is a second von  Geldern engineer on the letterhead: Richard von Geldern. He may be a son or grandson of Lt Edward von Geldern, Jr.

Richard von Geldern
vongeldern@sbcglobal.net

von Geldern Engineering Company
430 Second Street, Yuba City, CA 96991
520-673-6330

This came from a public document filed with Yuba City California, November, 2007.

Sue

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2009, 6:40pm

TOM - I relayed an email to you from someone who has 1st hand knowledge and information for  you. Sue

ord510

AZ
Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2009, 12:24am

Sue,

Just saw the Posts on Von Geldern.  At the time I got his status from Santa Clara University (my school) I wrote to a US address that had information on all US POWs,  That is when I got a letter from a Mr Charles Ray (he has a web site)telling me that Von Geldern was on Hawaii at the time of the Death March.  I posted all this on the Scout web site.  The Von Geldern family seemed to be located on Hawaii.  I thought about getting word to Capt Prince, telling him that Von Geldern wasn't dead, as reported in Hampton Sides book, "Ghost Soldiers".  But I never did anything about it.  I was ASSUMING that the Von Geldern family read "Ghost Soldiers" when it came out.  Understandably that people were involved in the Bataan Death March, and those that escaped by getting new orders (Von Geldern) would want to read about it.  Now Capt Prince is dead and maybe he never knew.

Regards

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2009, 2:08am

T. It bounced -I'm sending it again. I may have your old email address instead of the new one. S

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print